COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Upward mobility

Hello, I am curious. How does each kingdom on NA-W view upward mobility in their kingdoms?

I know there will be mechanics for moving up or removing leadership in game. However, since each rank costs a significant cash investment to start I was wondering how open are kingdom's to say having a county taken over by a mayor who garners support from his fellows. Would the royalty step in to maintain the status quo?

Thank you for your time.

7/7/2017 6:33:26 AM #1

I don't intend to sound mean or judgmental, but these questions won't teach you anything. The most likely answers are either bold face lies, or a dodge.

I mean no offence and judge no-one, but ulterior motives are common at that level of backing. Blimey, I would be disappointed if the leaders weren't doing what's in their best interests.

If they say they will, then that means they want to attract more mayors/barons. However, there is a good chance that they will also secretly send out messages to their high ranking supporters, saying they will support them.

They could say they won't, which means they want more counties and duchies.

Either one has a high likelihood of being a blatant lie. A leader wants to replace his followers frequently, so they cannot conspire against him/her.

The most likely response will be to dodge the question by saying something like "We will be sure to allow and encourage players to replace NPCs."

In the end, the thread just becomes a more complicated version of Clue.

TL;DR

This is a very politically charged question that is unlikely to result in honest answers, and the few honest answers will be indiscernible from the falsities.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/7/2017 9:14:56 AM #2

So while Corin makes good points, I don't think its as hopeless as they make it out to be. You basically have 2 options, either way you're going to be competing with others who want to do the same thing. 1. Many kingdoms will likely want to replace npc counts (and especially npc dukes) as soon as possible. They could either do that by having an existing player count/duke take over that land and add it to their own, or elevate a local mayor/baron to that role. I think its early enough you can establish yourself in a kingdom community and at the very least have that be a goal supported by your duke and/or king.

Second option, bit longer term but will always be an option whereas the first is likely only going to work if you start early. But join a kingdom that is (or at least purports itself to be) merit based. Become a baron pledged to your duke underneath a count who doesn't seem very organized and/or seems like an asshole. Wait for said count to make an ass of themselves one too many times, get support and take over... If the kingdom sees you as a better asset than them chances are you will be okay.

There's probably other ways to get there... make yourself indispensable to your kingdom, provide a lot of services in or out of game, etc. Make yourself a very close friend or even in-game spouse of someone who doesn't want to play the ruler forever (or who might tire of the game, get deployed, etc) that will cause them to turn over their title to someone else. That's a bit of a longer play and kind of a dick move if you're only joining the person for that reason, but on the other hand, I know of counts who only want to play count for their first life then hand it over to someone else so it can happen.

7/7/2017 1:21:15 PM #3

Thank you, Corin and Dekul, for your comments. I found both your responses constructive and informative. Also thank you for taking the time to respond.

While I personally have no interest in moving up, I was simply curious how much of the political game we might be able to see. The concept of COE as a simulation is incredibly interesting, as a fan of political intrigue, but I know we have the added layer of being external to the world and part of a connected society. A song of ice and fire would play out alot different if everyone had a house website or facebook to communicate on.

Touching on your point Dekul, I was hoping for clarity that if I settled in a region and ended up under a tirant count that it might change. I know "guild" politics in other games can be volatile and I was a little concerned that the kingdom's may run into similar issues (i.e. king equating to GM, duke to officer, etc.).

Some quick background on me: I plan on being a farmer (regardless of region) and roleplaying as such. The idea of coordinating a town, although interesting, seems incompatible with my RL commitments so I won't be going do that road.

Thank you again. -Kizmax

7/7/2017 1:30:23 PM #4

Something to keep in mind. Kingdoms are a lot bigger than your typical MMO guild. So while Dukes and counts could equate to guild officers in other games they will likely be running their own community as well as helping run the kingdom.

Loyalty will be a big deal in CoE and I fully expect your normal guild politics to actually spiral out into full on warfare at some point. Complete with kingdoms splitting and falling while new ones rise.

As for moving up in a stable pre-expo kingdom I wouldn't hold my breath. Monarchs and Dukes have shelled out considerable cash for their starting positions. It's in their best interest to build a strong support structure beneath them to help shield the throne from power grabs. Once the seal is broken and internal fights have started all bets are off.

So unless there are available NPC slots to take over don't expect to have much support if you want to upset the apple cart prior to the eventual chaos that will come from too many egos too few chairs.

7/7/2017 2:56:27 PM #5

"Diplomacy is the art of giving graciously what you no longer have the power to withhold."

DPBoD2.jpg

7/7/2017 3:48:36 PM #6

Posted By Kizmax at 06:21 AM - Fri Jul 07 2017

Thank you, Corin and Dekul, for your comments. I found both your responses constructive and informative. Also thank you for taking the time to respond.

While I personally have no interest in moving up, I was simply curious how much of the political game we might be able to see. The concept of COE as a simulation is incredibly interesting, as a fan of political intrigue, but I know we have the added layer of being external to the world and part of a connected society. A song of ice and fire would play out alot different if everyone had a house website or facebook to communicate on.

Touching on your point Dekul, I was hoping for clarity that if I settled in a region and ended up under a tirant count that it might change. I know "guild" politics in other games can be volatile and I was a little concerned that the kingdom's may run into similar issues (i.e. king equating to GM, duke to officer, etc.).

Some quick background on me: I plan on being a farmer (regardless of region) and roleplaying as such. The idea of coordinating a town, although interesting, seems incompatible with my RL commitments so I won't be going do that road.

Thank you again. -Kizmax

Aye, as Malais said you have to put things in perspective. Most guilds in online games have 100 active users or less, that puts them in line with Counts in CoE or even Mayors being effectively guildmasters of a typical size guild. Now figure dukes have to corral 24 counts, that can be over 2000 people, that's a pretty large gaming community, let alone dukes with 2 or 3 duchies. Now you go up to king, you're looking at 12 dukes, each with over 2000 players under them that's 24000 people, a king has to manage a HUGE gaming community with many varying viewpoints and needs. So yeah... things are going to get changed up, the king can't go support every count who gets themselves overthrown, even the duke can't likely do that every time. If one of their counts isn't worth the effort and the person going after or trying to replace them isn't too controversial (I mean, they did get the support of the other counts or at least the mayors in that county.) then the only reason to intervene would be to promote a sense of stability which isn't always going to be enough.

7/7/2017 4:17:17 PM #7

To be honest, this is the aspect of the game I am most interested in. Loyalty, integrity, etc., will weigh heavily. Organized groups with established leadership and long-term players will likely do significantly better than hodge-podges thrown together willy-nilly by virtue of a title granted to a stranger.

Throw in perma-death, a justice system, free markets... man oh man!

Chess, not checkers! I can't wait.

Count of Infernal-Duchy of Drescuri-Kingdom of Riftwood

Leader of Infernal Gamers (www.infernalgamers.com)

Friend Code- 9CF4E2

7/7/2017 8:07:47 PM #8

Thank you all for you wonderful opinions and insight. I am glad to see that many agree that there will be shake ups over the course of the game.

I have several friends who I want to convince to play Elyria and are very taken with the political intrigue of the game. However, in speaking to them I was unable to speak to concerns of stagnation as paying royalty will look to keep their positions. I am glad to see that although the resources may not be available today I can express the common idea that shake ups will occur over the 10 year story and that moving up can be a goal aspired too by even a sub-gentry player. That challenge may make it all the more fulfilling and convincing.

And Cakewalk, I share your excitement. It will be fun to watch unfold.

Thank you again, -Kizmax

7/7/2017 9:42:31 PM #9

Posted By Kizmax at 3:07 PM - Fri Jul 07 2017

Thank you all for you wonderful opinions and insight. I am glad to see that many agree that there will be shake ups over the course of the game.

I have several friends who I want to convince to play Elyria and are very taken with the political intrigue of the game. However, in speaking to them I was unable to speak to concerns of stagnation as paying royalty will look to keep their positions. I am glad to see that although the resources may not be available today I can express the common idea that shake ups will occur over the 10 year story and that moving up can be a goal aspired too by even a sub-gentry player. That challenge may make it all the more fulfilling and convincing.

If stagnation is your concern people who are nobility won't want the job forever as the higher you go the higher the spirit loss for death.

Personally as a count I'm already looking for someone who wants the job to help me rule for a lifetime then take the actual title over so I can do more adventuring things.

So using force isn't the only way to move up.

7/7/2017 10:34:40 PM #10

Posted By Kizmax at 1:07 PM - Fri Jul 07 2017

And Cakewalk, I share your excitement. It will be fun to watch unfold.

Thank you again, -Kizmax

Don't worry to much about stagnation, there will be a huge shake up the moment landfall is made on the other continents.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/7/2017 11:59:33 PM #11

I am more worried about the NPCs then the actual players.

By going through the posts of certain individuals, you get a good understanding as to what the abilities and personality of the individual is.

However, NPCs aren't like that. You won't realize anything till its too late and it would be impossible to figure them out. Their skill level could be laughably below a child's (children manipulate each other and adults lol) or we may be pushed to out limits and eventual downfall by the ultimate Machiavellian.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

7/13/2017 9:59:48 AM #12

the interesting thing to note on this subject other then what luke brought up (AI angle is one i worry about most)

why there will be a few thousand of us per server with titles the amount of players coming in at launch will be 20 to 30 times there number. (hopefully more)

now to think none of those guys is gonna want to try and get into this interesting sounding political system is silly and to think none of those big guilds who are over alot of games wont use there numbers to make this happen is height of niavity.

so i feel come release it wont just be internal conflict in the title holders but the chaos of the zergs. so we will see how robust our kingdoms and duchys are once the zerg arrives and try to force its will.

will i be a count 4 months after lunch? i damm well hope so but omg i cant be sure.

also kizmax when u get a chance click on my banner and take a look at my county i think u will find it is right down your ally.

it is always good to see another food producer :) most underated role.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/31/2017 6:27:48 PM #13

Another thing to keep in mind is, how capable are said kings/dukes/barons at holding on to their power? Remember, they are just one very tiny group of people relying upon a vastly larger support group of allies. A group of allies that is built on trust. Break that trust, break the alliance (to quote an Eve Online trailer).

They may have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for their positions, but once the game launches they aren't entitled to that position. As long as you can turn people against them, you deserve it more than they do. If there is one thing games like Eve Online or Battlemaster have taught me, it's that empires were made to be felled. Don't let a presumed lack of upward mobility keep you from reaching for more power. Get out there, and take it from the kings and queens.

Because if they fail, they didn't deserve it to start with.

7/31/2017 6:39:19 PM #14

Sounds to me like you and I share the same concern. Is this game already pay to win before it even began?

I would probably say yes, if you consider being one of the top rulers in the game as "winning ." Sure you might move up a wee bit, but due to dynasties and families I sincerely doubt a commoner will be able to retain a position that someone paid a lot of money for.

I don't see this game being very Game of Thrones themed. I think the rulers and nobility will be fairly straight forward. You didn't pay extra money? Get out of here.

Unless y'all want an endless war of who knows how many individuals trying to obtain kingship. But that doesn't really seem fun, at least not in the context that this game is going for.

Though I could just as easily be wrong. But I'm pretty sure money will talk in this game. Hell, it already is lol.

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~

7/31/2017 6:44:17 PM #15
  • I don't think it'll be game of thrones themed simply because of the penalties placed on death and killing. And for the same reason I don't think it'd be fun if dozens of people were constantly killing each other for power. It'd just be the devout hardcore players that benefit.

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~