COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
A couple of questions

Hello, everyone!

I have just stumbled across this hidden gem of a game and got really interested in how it looks. I'm currently thinking of becoming a Baron, but I wanted to know a few things first.

1-As a baron, how would I protect myself from getting killed by other players? Do I get like npc guards? Or would I need to somehow conscript other players and create a baronial guard of the sort?

2-Is there a court system? Can I assign different government positions or would I have to be of a higher rank?

3-What's the current game state? If I pledge now, will I be able to play?

4-What's the difference between a mayor or a baron? In the pledge page it says you start out as a baron when you buy the duke's package. Does that mean I will not be a baron right away?

5-Is becoming a noble worth the risk?

6-As mayor, can my heir inherit the title?

7-How does the heir system works, in the first place?

That will be all for now. Thanks a bunch! Hope to see you in game in the near future!

Beso

7/14/2017 2:25:17 PM #1
  1. For people to take control of your title they need a casus belli (if you have an heir then you'll most of the time be somewhat secured) but yes, you will most likely be able to hire npc and pc guards.

2. Yes, though you can't assign positions as an aristocrat as that's a "lower" title in the hierarchy, though every aristocrat resides over a settlement (barons are also mayors) and they oversee the court of commoners. Though the King's court is somewhat different, but you will most likely need to be king or duke to appoint people to those kind of courts, or have earned the privilege. though the court of commoners will be judged by the Town Council (land owners most likely) and some specific people who we don't know how they're appointed now. (Though a lot is still subject to change)

3. No, the game is still in early development, though the ElyriaMUD is soon-ish (take that with a grain of salt) to come out. I would suggest checking out the Developer journal on this one which can be found by clicking on this highlighted text, about the pre-alpha experience. (And if you don't want to read all of it then scroll down to ElyriaMUD).

4. A Baron is someone who made a contract with the duke, he will then receive extra payment to uphold a garrison, so it's a way for the duke to "secure" some choke-points or just borders where fighting might erupt, come wartime. It's important to note that the Baron is still a mayor, and so he still pays the count of the county.

5. For some it is, for others it isn't depends on what kind of playstyle you're looking for. Though there's a difference between nobility (kings, dukes and counts) and aristocracy (barons and mayors) but it's also worth remembering that every king is also a duke, count and mayor, and as every count is also a mayor etc. so you won't loose a title that's under you if you move up, though you will take a much bigger spirit hit the further you go up the hierarchy, if someone were to kill you.

Though it's also worth remembering that the world will start with 6 kingdoms, 12 duchies pr. kingdom and 24 counties pr. duchy, that's 1728 counties on the world (though a lot of them might be merged with existing counties as the kingdoms of elyria starts playing out, but there can also be more than 1 settlement pr. county, so it's not like there's only 2 duchies in the world and that you'll always be the target of some crazed assassin plot :P

7/17/2017 11:06:15 PM #2

I cant wait to see how noble players will interact with each other, especially considering if there is a rivalry or dispute between the two. Its going to be interesting