COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
How Other People Earn Can Talent

Will always the same people within the 5% have talent or will it be possible for others outside of 5% talented population to achieve it when one of the 5%'s people soul is... no longer?

7/16/2017 8:21:34 PM #1

Talents were changed a while back to be body bound, not soul bound. When a talented person dies, the talent goes back in the "pool".

As for any other details... Talents/magic is a myth.

7/16/2017 8:26:43 PM #2

Posted By Makkiduperz at

Will always the same people within the 5% have talent or will it be possible for others outside of 5% talented population to achieve it when one of the 5%'s people soul is... no longer?

Characters have talents, not souls. If someone with a talent dies, someone else can be born with one. Also if someone with a talent is very inactive, they can lose it and someone else can get one.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

7/28/2017 9:10:56 PM #3

Reminds me of the early days of Star Wars Galaxies, when not everyone had the potential to have jedi abilities. People complained and they changed it, but always made sense to me. I like the idea of there being "special" people out in the world.

What I haven't been able to find is what having those talents actually mean, in terms of effect on the world. If I do have magical talents, then what happens with that? Am I an outcast, do people view me as a diety? Or am I just more powerful, and the game is easier to play?

7/28/2017 9:19:02 PM #4

Depends on the talent and who knows you have it. If you have magic it'll be powerful most likely, but you may get a talent that makes you a great farmer. I doubt you'll be worshipped for that.

I'm sure your reputation will be most of what makes you reviled or praised. The kingdoms are mostly player run so unless you break the law or make them mad, it is unlikely that you'll be an outcast.

Take this CoE Character Census so that the community can see where people are planning to start and what tribes they want!

Friend Code: 4E637C

7/29/2017 12:58:22 AM #5

From my understanding Talents 'can' be earned by closely following your story line. Following the story for your character will be one of the best ways to possibly earning a Talent. I am sure there will be other ways as well, but they were intended to bridge a gap in your story so you can proceed with it.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/29/2017 11:12:58 AM #6

What I've gathered is that the soulbound engine will assign every character at character creation a "Destiny" which is basically a life quest for every character, and they are all assigned to help push along the ten year story that they are hoping to achieve. So far the only way to determine a character destiny that has been mentioned is by studying the stars, in early development they said that many of the core mechanics behind the souldbound engine will be cataloged in star formations and that players can decipher them through in game astronomy. Whether that remains true as development goes on, or whether we see a seer talent that can just tell us our destinies, is still all unknown.

What I've heard for talents is that the soulbound engine does distribute them at a rate of approximately 1 per 20 people, but it give priority for certain talents to certain people who's destiny places them involved in a world quest. The world quests will have essentially prerequisites for completion such as it will believe the world quest will take 2 people with Talent A and 1 person with Talent B. When it assigns destinys to players that intertwine with that world quest, it will give priority for the talents from the pool to at least 3 people with destiny's intertwined with the world quest.

Now if one of the Characters with Talent A dies just as the world quest is taking off, The Soulbound engine can go ahead and assign a talent to one of the people in the world quest who did not have any talent before. This is meant for allowing the world quest prerequisites judged by the engine to be met so the quest can possibly be completed. As far as I know this is the only way to acquire talents outside of getting lucky at character creation. Whether this information remains valid into the actual game is anyone's guess, its a pretty tall promise made for the engine. Also would likely mean evil people involved in world quests would be highly motivated to kill any comrades they had in the quest to bolster their chance of acquiring talents, which can be viewed as both a good thing for promoting evil people to be evil and a bad thing because it interferes with the story.

Primary source of this info was DM21 Gamings Deep Dive #2 into CoE.

7/29/2017 1:23:47 PM #7

Posted By Aranas at 5:10 PM - Fri Jul 28 2017

Reminds me of the early days of Star Wars Galaxies, when not everyone had the potential to have jedi abilities. People complained and they changed it, but always made sense to me. I like the idea of there being "special" people out in the world.

What I haven't been able to find is what having those talents actually mean, in terms of effect on the world. If I do have magical talents, then what happens with that? Am I an outcast, do people view me as a diety? Or am I just more powerful, and the game is easier to play?

Talents are to advance the game story, so say there's an underwater cave somewhere that is vital to the story maybe your charactor will get the talent of water-breathing.

Friend code: FF2B6D