COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Guilds... strictly for crafting?

Based on a quick read on some various resources I have stashed away, it seems that guilds specifically focus on a particular craft or trade. From my perspective, this also implies that any UI or mechanical features within the guild are based on using one craft.

"guilds in Chronicles of Elyria act as professional societies and unions specializing in a specific craft"

"Players can only be in one guild per crafting skill unless they disguise themselves to join multiple guilds"

Recently updated wiki

I've recently come up with the concept of a 'Lore Hunter' guild that would include both librarians and adventurers. Clearly, those two groups will have vastly different crafts on the day-to-day.

Does this mean the idea of a Lore Hunter guild becomes unviable? Do the mechanics not only not support the use of various skills, but outright prevent them in some form?

Do we know if guilds are specifically based on ONLY using crafts?

7/18/2017 2:53:29 PM #1

As I understand it, the basis of guilds are to act as a kind of trade union, but the human factor should be able to adapt it to whatever the guild needs. My count is starting a school/guild intended for research and conservation of knowledge but has a title for members whose role is seeking out lost knowledge (much like what you've described).

I see no mechanical reason why this wouldn't work. We will know more when more info on mechanics is released, but from what I know now it shouldn't be a problem.

7/18/2017 3:06:54 PM #2

In-game guilds will be like real-life guilds, not your traditional MMO guilds.

They'll be places for tradesmen to master their crafts, and that's about it.

7/18/2017 3:24:29 PM #3

Posted By Scheneighnay at 08:06 AM - Tue Jul 18 2017

I believe it's not just crafts however...

You could just as easily have a survivalist guild or fighter's guild or archery guild or bard guild...

They are profession specific however, so if you wanted to do something like a ranger's guild or rogue's guild that cover many disciplines you would likely want to set up an association made up of multiple guilds for the individual skills you want to train.

7/18/2017 3:51:21 PM #4

I'm amazed so little information has been released on how guilds physically work.

All these awesome ideas on the forums, with all these super creative and awesome guilds... and in the end we might find out that we're sort of narrowed in to picking one type of craft..?

With the MUD coming soon, I sincerely hope we get some idea of how guilds will work. Because creating a guild is one of the few things that have been confirmed to be a focus in the MUD.

Think of how many threads that would be removed, and communities that would collapse, if guilds were compelled to choose one skill/trade to work with the mechanics.

7/18/2017 3:52:34 PM #5

Posted By Scheneighnay at 08:06 AM - Tue Jul 18 2017

Not so much craft as Profession, like Dekul mentioned, you can have mercenary, survivalist, hunter guilds etc.

7/18/2017 3:56:51 PM #6

Posted By Sagan at

Based on a quick read on some various resources I have stashed away, it seems that guilds specifically focus on a particular craft or trade. From my perspective, this also implies that any UI or mechanical features within the guild are based on using one craft.

"guilds in Chronicles of Elyria act as professional societies and unions specializing in a specific craft"

"Players can only be in one guild per crafting skill unless they disguise themselves to join multiple guilds"

Recently updated wiki

I've recently come up with the concept of a 'Lore Hunter' guild that would include both librarians and adventurers. Clearly, those two groups will have vastly different crafts on the day-to-day.

Does this mean the idea of a Lore Hunter guild becomes unviable? Do the mechanics not only not support the use of various skills, but outright prevent them in some form?

I would imagine Bard will count as a trade skill due both contracts and maps production being bards skills, so a Bardic guild would be the place for both Libarians and Adventurers looking to locate, map or retrieve lore type items.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/18/2017 4:00:35 PM #7

Per the Q&A on 15FEB, you can only be a member of a single guild of each type (as mentioned by the OP).

This would imply that when you create a guild, you have to list the type of guild it is. So the question that needs to be answered is: How flexible are guild types? Are they strictly crafting focused, or can you establish a guild based on any skill (combat/survival as have been mentioned)?

7/18/2017 4:09:41 PM #8

To me the guild is more about the contract it signs with the count than any craft or profession.

In that contract will also be specified the "trade" that the guild carter for, it can be narrow or large depending on the freedom the system will give us.

one of the exemple of guilds that Caspian himself used was an assassin guild, if that can be narrowed to a single craft/skill i'd love to know which one ?

To me a guild is a lot more like a company where lots of employee have different professions but all focused on one trade.

A merchant guild would for exemple also have guards, warehouse keepers, wagon/boat riders, scribes.... and of course merchants. But i might be wrong and we'll need to wait for more details revealed to us by SBS on the matter.

7/18/2017 4:12:18 PM #9

Posted By Kelipski at 02:00 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

Per the Q&A on 15FEB, you can only be a member of a single guild of each type (as mentioned by the OP).

This would imply that when you create a guild, you have to list the type of guild it is. So the question that needs to be answered is: How flexible are guild types? Are they strictly crafting focused, or can you establish a guild based on any skill (combat/survival as have been mentioned)?

This is exactly where my thoughts are at, atm

hmmm... but...

"Chronicles of Elyria doesn't define specific professions. Instead, it encourages players to take skills from across different skill trees and combine them in unique ways in order to define their own professions." - Caspian DJ#9 Crafting & Professions

7/18/2017 6:29:57 PM #10

I view things a little different, a Guild is just a loose structure of players from one area of the game (there are 3 possibly guild types). It could be very specific such as a a Herbalist Guild or a general as a Gatherer Guild. Both are a Gathering guild and the only thing that differs is probably the work area or station. Where one can gather general herbs to sell the other is all about making things from the herbs. That would leave 2 more guilds types available.

And from my understanding a building or hall can have multiple crafting stations within it but I think each needs there own room. What creates and mini-game or the challenge is not the guild but the station. If you move from one station to the next you might be at a woodcarving station instead of a herbalist station. In that case the mini-game would be of woodcarving and not herbalism.

Please set me straight if I am wrong but joining a Guild will not exclude you from other types of crafting. If I join a herbalist guild I can still craft with my woodcarving if I wanted. I just won't get the perks that come with a Guild.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/18/2017 6:41:19 PM #11

There are guilds and associations.

Guilds are craft specific;

but "associations" that are not craft specific. For situation like yours, that is the category your group would fall under.

7/18/2017 6:42:40 PM #12

Posted By Sagan at

Recently updated wiki

( Im going to copy and paste a old forum post I wrote)

Clarification of Guilds, Schools and other types of groups**

This was originally in response to another members question, but i thought it would make a good post on its own.

I feel like the terms of groups is very confused within the community and id like to clarify to what each is to my understanding, to do so I'll be talking about Guilds, Schools Business's and associations.

To add i'm not trying to impose my understanding of groups in CoE onto people, but simply sharing my understanding. I'm also very interested in hearing other peoples opinions, and how they view my post and interpretation of groups in Chronicles of Elyria.

Guilds

"Guilds in Chronicles of Elyria act as professional societies and unions specializing in a specific craft. Guilds fulfill a wide range of activities that may include facilitating contracts of trade, development of new technologies pertaining to the craft, and patents of new discoveries on a broader scale than can be achieved through individual efforts alone." - Wiki

In my opinion one should expect a guild to be, and more specifically a guilds needs to be something that allows the research and production mechanics to be relevant, also known as crafting skills and professions like blacksmithing and Leather-working.

Guilds will provide perks to production and research as well as allow new technology to be patented. That being said i think its practical to say only groups concentrating on crafts and professions capable of research and production advancements can be a "guild" since only they will make use of the mechanics.

A good example of a common mistake in CoE standards of groups is "assassins guilds". That doesn't make sense in this game, it would need to be an "assassins association" or other variation of groups.

Schools

"Schools in Chronicles of Elyria represent a collection or group of people who share common characteristics and goals of a certain philosophy, discipline, craft, economics, art, or culture." - Wiki

Much like a "guild" schools offer mechanical perks to things like research and learning. However one of the bigger differences is that "schools" will have a greater perk to research than "guilds" that, in return, receive a greater perk in production.

Another difference between a "guild" and a "school" is that any research done in a school is considered free knowledge, and will not be open to being patented for personal use by the institution or anyone for that matter.

It is important to note that, unlike a guild a school has a learning perk mechanic that makes it useful to a wider range of activities and professions that don't benefit from a production or research mechanic like Astronomy, Cartography, Music, Scholarship, Scribing, Art and Cooking and other things that may be "learned". Much of these are things under the bardic skill tree that is often seen as the tree a "scholar" would go into.

Business's

A business in Chronicles of Elyria leaves endless options and opportunity in the hands of the players, although there are no in-game mechanics for this type of group (aside from contracts) it will be a big part of the game. Similar to the real world, if you can create a demand for something, whether it be a product or a service, you can make a business of it. This ideology will be the same in CoE.

Some examples are Bank, Transportation service, restaurant (tavern), sellswords, Inn, mining, skinning, and more. The game leaves endless options in the hands of the players.

Associations

Associations are one of the variation of words that is used to describe a group that doesn't fall under any of the 3 groups, they are not a Guild, School or Business. An association would be a group that works for a certain cause or towards a certain goal.

Some good examples of associations are "Assassins Association" or "Human rights Association". Its a loose term of a group of individuals that organize themselves for a common cause or goal.

(This last part is out of context for where im posting it, but the original post i put this on the OP was wondering if its possible to make his/her own religion, and it is through making a "cult" that is basically an association of sorts)

Finally, to answer one of the OP's questions, yes this does mean you can technically make your own religion, granted you may be limited; however, you can very well gather a following of people that worship and follow the guidance of your "made up" religion and act on the beliefs of that religion. It would be a group of people gathered for a common cause, belief or goal.

Alt text - can be left blank

7/18/2017 8:17:25 PM #13

Posted By Sullen at 7/18/2017 6:29:57 PM

Please set me straight if I am wrong but joining a Guild will not exclude you from other types of crafting.

Hmm? No? It wouldn't stop you crafting any thing. What people are talking about is the particular wording.

If the guild narrows in on a 'particular trade', does this mean its strictly for crafting? Or can we have guilds that work like libraries, assassins guilds and other creative stuff like that? That's the issue atm.

Posted By StrawHat at 04:42 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

Guilds will provide perks to production and research as well as allow new technology to be patented. That being said i think its practical to say only groups concentrating on crafts and professions capable of research and production advancements can be a "guild" since only they will make use of the mechanics.

A good example of a common mistake in CoE standards of groups is "assassins guilds". That doesn't make sense in this game, it would need to be an "assassins association" or other variation of groups. basically an association of sorts)**

Hmmm, I'm starting to believe that to be true. If that is the case, why isn't SBS clearing this up? Have they seen the guild sections lately? People are rarely niching themselves into a particular trade and a lot of them are, instead, creating more abstract guilds...

Seems really inconsiderate? Its been like this for ages. If the guilds are only for crafting and trades that craft, then it should be cleared up IMMEDIATELY considering how many hours people have pumped into developing systems for their guilds.

7/18/2017 8:55:23 PM #14

Posted By Sagan at 1:17 PM - Tue Jul 18 2017

Posted By Sullen at 7/18/2017 6:29:57 PM

Please set me straight if I am wrong but joining a Guild will not exclude you from other types of crafting.

Hmm? No? It wouldn't stop you crafting any thing. What people are talking about is the particular wording.

If the guild narrows in on a 'particular trade', does this mean its strictly for crafting? Or can we have guilds that work like libraries, assassins guilds and other creative stuff like that? That's the issue atm.

Posted By StrawHat at 04:42 AM - Wed Jul 19 2017

A good example of a common mistake in CoE standards of groups is "assassins guilds". That doesn't make sense in this game, it would need to be an "assassins association" or other variation of groups. basically an association of sorts)**

Hmmm, I'm starting to believe that to be true. If that is the case, why isn't SBS clearing this up? Have they seen the guild sections lately? People are rarely niching themselves into a particular trade and a lot of them are, instead, creating more abstract guilds...

Seems really inconsiderate? Its been like this for ages. If the guilds are only for crafting and trades that craft, then it should be cleared up IMMEDIATELY considering how many hours people have pumped into developing systems for their guilds.

The information to know these things are out there, the problem comes in with the over-usage and understanding of "guild" outside of CoE itself. It's been made very clear a guild in CoE is for crafting, trade, research and development, and in place of the traditional game/mmo "Guild" group there are families and or associations. Its hard to break the rich history of "the guild" in gaming,

However, i doubt this will hurt people who have made groups and labeled them "guilds" its just the wrong use of terminology for CoE standards, and doesn't prevent them from being a family or association come game launch.

This also doesnt mean an association cant have a guild, or multiple guilds to feed their purpose, but its important to understand that is a guild of the association, and not that the association is a guild itself. (hope thats clear and makes sense)

Alt text - can be left blank

7/18/2017 9:16:12 PM #15

I mean, we CAN chalk it up to wrong terminology.

But I wonder how many creators of the guild writeups would be happy with that?

Here's hoping creating an association gives you some kind of benefit. Tyvm Strawhat that really helped and I'll be sourcing you a lot here on out.. as an attempt to clear up a lot of the confusion around 'guilds'.