COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Are Play Kings Fair and Balanced

I am going to start a series on COE, and ask is it fair, and is it balanced. Today I am going to focus on the player king aspect, with a little bit in the contact system. Next week I plan to look at the player contract system, and the week after that I plan to look at the econ. And really dig into the question of how fair and balanced coe really is, and can something like this work in a mmorpg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4g7j6Q56e0

7/18/2017 10:23:50 PM #1

Like the real world it's not meant to be fair.

Friend code: FF2B6D
7/18/2017 11:03:16 PM #2

I watched your video and you seem to just lack an understanding of how a lot of these systems work, such as spark of life's and what not.

Granted, if you want to go off and say "f the Kings" all day that is fine, go for it. You are free to do what you want.

Even people pledged to a King can say no.

7/18/2017 11:28:43 PM #3

Kinda agree with Karik. The game is not supposed to be fair and balanced, but it is supposed to be fun for all levels of play and if you work at it you have a 'chance' of improving your station, that doesn't mean it should be easy or equal to the chance of the person above you.

7/18/2017 11:31:00 PM #4

"I am going...to ask if it's fair, and if it's balanced."

There is absolutely no asking in that video at all. It starts with declaration and then goes on to drive home a personal opinion--a scathing criticism you'd expect from a game that's already released and being reviewed. (Apparently we have a lot of rock-paper-scissors to look forward to.)

DPBoD2.jpg

7/19/2017 1:05:06 AM #5

While this game is not meant to be fair, I do think that the nobility and aristocracy is artificially gated to be played only by players that have a lot of time and 3rd party resources on their hands but that's just my gripe on upward mobility in this game.

UDL

7/19/2017 1:14:26 AM #6
  1. Yes, a king can call you to arms, and you would be breaking the law by dodging the draft. By breaking the law, you can be incarcerated and lose spirit. You would likely lose less spirit for just fighting in the war, and would gain more fame in the process.

2. You do not loose a spark of life on death unless you have an absurd amount of fame. You could die hundreds of times as an adventurer, or even thousands of times on the battlefield. Each time you die, you lose spirit. Run out of spirit, you die for good. The more fame you have, the more spirit you lose on death, and the more story points you gain in life. More over, you don't lose spirit for consecutive deaths. On a open battlefield, you will loose the spirit for one death, then nothing afterwards.

3. While a king can get overthrown, it can only be done by the duchies benefit them. If they fail, their land gets handed over the the duchies that protected said ruler, or any counties within the duchy that is looking for a promotion. The risk for the duchies is massive. Your subordinates could betray your, or your fellow dukes could turn on you. Now, if the king is disliked because of his laws, the risks of betrayal drop significantly.

4. It is not in the best interest of your wallet to declare yourself independent of a kingdom. If you are not part of a kingdom, players that attack you suffer no spirit penalty when they get caught. Even if you leave a kingdom, you are still subject to the laws of the land, and will be punished as if your were a citizen for any crime you commit.

5. Tax collection and protecting the kingdom falls to the roll of the Duchies. The Counts ensure the make enough money to pay the taxes. The king does not control everything. Much of it falls to the local government.

6. What is this about some random "crafter" going directly to the king for a contract? At the most, they would go to their local Count, who overlooks a ton of cities under his/her jurisdiction. Even then, they don't need to go the them to open up a shop! The highest that bill will be passed is the mayor of the town.

7. No, the king does not have the authority to kick people out for no reason. The player would have needed to join the old king's defense (basically signing up for the army) for the king to even be able to evict them. That being said, what King would banish low ranking peasant and foot soldiers? It's a recipe for disaster, and rebelion.

Of course, anyone working directly with the king might find themselves out of work, but that's it.

7.5 No slaves in this game.

1. Yes, the game is hard for new players to approach without breaking the law in some way. That's unavoidable.

2. Ya, loansharks will also be a thing.

TL;DR:

The king has far less power than you think. Very few people report directly to the king.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/19/2017 1:28:22 AM #7

I only got two minutes in, but I don't think you understand the whole idea being the game. Sure the king can order me to do something, doesn't mean I have to listen to him. If he is a jerk, guess what? There will be an army coming for him. 10k down the drain for him. Unlike average person that would have spent nothing to remove a jerk king. You seem to think they have all this power, they only have power while having the support of the people.

I really hope you didn't continue to rant how you view the game after that point. For something that starts like you have an open view, it's really just one sided. Also not sure why you bring up star citizen at the start either. Like you used it trying to prove some point, when it's nothing like CoE.

7/19/2017 2:51:24 AM #8

CoE is interesting because things are not equitable.

The game rules are fair and the developers create tools for us players to use and go about enforcing 'justice' or what we think the world should look like. In your characters' lifes it's yours to take risks - a game system that would prevent a king to attempt to do bad things altogether would kill potential for interesting stories.
It would also take away any suspense.

We know that some tribes will be mentally, physically or socially stronger than others: They are balanced and fair but not equal. Neither is a king equal to a farmer.
But the farmer might be better with crops and plants than the king could ever dream of, because he has been investing his time and effort in agriculture.
The king can perform other actions a farmer isn't entitled to, but there is no system in place preventing farmers from rebelling against their rulers.

Regarding the king who hides behind his throne:

• If enough people grow very much bothered by him or his decisions, it'll be hard for him to maintain his reign. It is a position with power and responsibilities.
  • Kings would provide a bonus for soldiers around him on the battlefield. With the old numbers a king send on a spirit walk would loose 256 days of his 365 days of total life span (2days x 32[fame] x 4[battlefield]).

7/19/2017 3:27:06 AM #9

Posted By gamermax at

I am going to start a series on COE, and ask is it fair, and is it balanced. Today I am going to focus on the player king aspect, with a little bit in the contact system. Next week I plan to look at the player contract system, and the week after that I plan to look at the econ. And really dig into the question of how fair and balanced coe really is, and can something like this work in a mmorpg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4g7j6Q56e0

Honestly I stopped watching your video in under 2 minutes, because it is factually wrong on many counts. In particular you are discussing both Star Citizen and Chronicles of Elyria - both are structurally very different, and in neither can you control the economy. You can influence it more as a King in Elyria, but when you start out with flawed information in your video, sorry it's just not worth my time.

I strongly encourage you to post your ideas for a video before you make the video, so we can give feedback that you can incorporate if you choose. As it stands, your video says more about your research than either game you seem intent on criticizing.

As others have noted above, if you have not worked out that Elyria does not try to be "fair and balanced" rather it seeks to provide rich and engaging stories that players remember then you just don't get it and need to do a lot more research before you make more videos.

Link to my story

7/19/2017 8:10:36 AM #10

The game is not designed to be fare. Which is part of the appeal. Life isn't fare, it's about doing the best you can with what you got. Just because some people start as Nobility doesn't make it pay to win either. Everyone's goals are their own and achieving those goals is what the game is about no matter where your personal story starts from. That being said It is in the best interest of nobility to treat their citizens fairly if they plan on being in that position for long without starting a revolt.