COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What do you look for in a King?

I've been wondering what others look for in a King or Queen and how my own views compare.

For those curious...

I would like to have a leader who cares more about the peasantry than the upper classes. I see leadership as more of a service than anything. I'm not looking for a meek leader however. The leader should be intelligent but mindful of the risks of corruption. They should use their intelligence to build a strong foundation and infrastructure for their kingdom, not to get one up on everyone they meet to satisfy their own egos.

I want a leader who values knowledge and lives over wealth, but still has the might to swat aside those who would seek to take advantage of the kingdom and its people.

I want a leader I'd be willing to go to extremes for, even sacrificing my own character's life and my real life money in order to keep them on the throne so that my next character will have a better life than the last. Not because the leader awards me for my personal sacrifice, but because they are still alive making the Kingdom a better place for all to live.

I want a leader willing to work hard and rise from nothing time and time again to get to the point where they can better serve as ruler. No one understands the struggle more than those who are repeatedly reforged in the fires of the struggle.

I'm an idealist. I don't take much stock in those who follow the cookie cutter path to power. I don't take any stock in those who fail to think for themselves and innovate. There is always a better way to go about doing something, so keep searching. This very game is founded on innovation and ideals, taking the hard and unbeaten path. If no leader, no King or Queen can live up to ideals and only live up to mundanity, then they are not the leader for me.

7/19/2017 7:41:30 PM #1

For me, I judge people by their actions, so pretty much all kings and queens are the same right now. They are saying everyone matters and all of the good stuff we would like to hear. I want to see someone that actually takes action from time to make sure things are running as they should be. Of course they will have someone primarily doing the job but once in awhile maybe show up to understand what people are actually doing for them. At the same time, I feel like this would be hard for them to do with people wanting to kill them just for spending $10k lol.

7/19/2017 7:44:53 PM #2

A king must live a grander life than any other’s, and stoke his people’s feelings of admiration! He who is worthy of all heroes’ envy, and he who leads their way, is king! Therefore, the king is not alone. For his will equals that of all his followers together!

7/19/2017 8:41:06 PM #3

Posted By Deftly at 3:41 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

For me, I judge people by their actions, so pretty much all kings and queens are the same right now. They are saying everyone matters and all of the good stuff we would like to hear. I want to see someone that actually takes action from time to make sure things are running as they should be. Of course they will have someone primarily doing the job but once in awhile maybe show up to understand what people are actually doing for them. At the same time, I feel like this would be hard for them to do with people wanting to kill them just for spending $10k lol.

They are pretty much all the same, yea.

None really jive well with me, even the ones who try to say what they think I want to hear.

I think one of the biggest things that bug me about the current Kings and Queens is that it never quite feels like they are talking to me when we've talked. Something always just seems off in the way they all talk and present themselves.

7/19/2017 8:54:32 PM #4

I need a hero I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night He's gotta be strong And he's gotta be fast And he's gotta be fresh from the fight I need a hero I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light He's gotta be sure And it's gotta be soon And he's gotta be larger than life! Larger than life

7/19/2017 9:06:43 PM #5

I was hoping for at least a few serious answers. I guess most people are just too afraid to describe something other than their current king/queen. ;D

7/19/2017 9:36:40 PM #6

Leadership Skills

Passion for the Game

Putting the Kingdom ahead of Himself/Herself

Good Organization

Solid Plans for growing and maintaining the Kingdom

Beard Length

7/19/2017 9:40:21 PM #7

End of the day answer for me: Someone I get along with and can chat with honestly and spend hours in a discord with without getting bored or feeling belittled. Someone I can bring a problem to and have them listen to it. Even better if they're actually fun to talk to and hang out with. Beyond that, someone who actually gets things done, and puts dedicated people who also get things done into important positions. And someone who has a passion and hope for the success of the game as a whole. Because right now there is no game, there are no in-game actions to back up the words. So we can only work with personality and our social interactions to decide who we want to form a community with. Of course it's possible things will all go to hell when the game actually arrives, but for now I think I've found the best I could hope for.

7/19/2017 10:07:47 PM #8

I am looking for the Neran king of NA - East personally, as I plan to be a Neran. As long as the Kingdom doesn't become a Tyrannical dictatorship I don't think most people care who their king is. I personally am totally fine with a Tyrannical dictatorship, since as a Baron I would be on the side of enforcing it.

For the greater Glory of the Neran people.

Friend Code: 92BF2D

7/19/2017 10:12:39 PM #9

For me it boils down to Leadership Skills. Hmm, what does that mean? Well... For one, and probably the most important one, is that the Kingdom comes before all. It is all about what is 'best' for the kingdom not him or his friends. Even a King needs to learn to sacrifice their ambitions once in a while. Secondly they need to to be Humble. I know that is odd for a King, but, then need to 'always' remember who actually built their kingdom. It was the peasants and the lower classes that actually gave him and lets him keep is ivory towers. So if there is anything he can that can help them with their daily lives, to better their lives, he needs to try to deliver. And finally, he needs to curb his ambitions, which falls back to his sacrifice. Personally I am looking for a King that will work 'with' the people instead of against them. Does he need to hold another lavish dinner party or can he use that money to help pave another trade route. I am looking for a leader that will support me in my ambitions in life instead of trying to force me into a certain direction. This is a game after all and there will be a lot more players looking to focus on their personal lives then there are Nobles. I ask you what is a King without his people. So if they keep these three tenants in their heart I feel they will be successful as a Leader and King.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/19/2017 10:20:25 PM #10

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 4:41 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

Posted By Deftly at 3:41 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

They are pretty much all the same, yea.

None really jive well with me, even the ones who try to say what they think I want to hear.

I think one of the biggest things that bug me about the current Kings and Queens is that it never quite feels like they are talking to me when we've talked. Something always just seems off in the way they all talk and present themselves.

Personally, I picked the people I wanted to be around and something that was going to help my profession..At the end of the day I don't expect to really interact with my king or queen due to my profession. Picking the people I interact with daily is where I will get your core gameplay from. Kings and queens will change over time so I looked for a community rather than a kingdom...Sorry, if this doesn't answer your question exactly but this is my serious answer to your post.

7/19/2017 10:25:40 PM #11

I want a king that is ruthlessly practical and will alter their style to best fit the realities on the ground. Inflexible ideological stances always break down, be they focused on the nobles or on the people or on a specific economic model or on a particular cultural model. The game will be messy just like life is. Too much time spent focused on the way things ought to be will result in blindness to the way things are.

7/19/2017 11:21:21 PM #12

Ahh... if only The Hound had an SBS account ....

7/20/2017 12:06:02 AM #13

I don't really care about a kings or queen's personality, only as long as they throw balls, and fancy balls at that! :O!

And now you ask me, but what good will that do? well it will keep the nobles hopefully happy, and make them engage with one another, which will hopefully make them look at each other with less hate and more friendship, as I'm a sucker for peace :P

And them not being a total tyrant would be nice too <3 tyrant meaning forcing high sums of money out of the others and going to war constantly. But I never had the idea that my king needed to be my best friend, shared interests or long conversations etc. that's more a plus if anything :>

But the ball thing is really the only important aspect here, who are we kidding, right?

7/20/2017 12:29:24 AM #14

Posted By Cetha at 2:44 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

A king must live a grander life than any other’s, and stoke his people’s feelings of admiration! He who is worthy of all heroes’ envy, and he who leads their way, is king! Therefore, the king is not alone. For his will equals that of all his followers together!

Ionian Hetairoi NARI!!!

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

7/20/2017 12:46:24 AM #15

Posted By Count_Emiya at 5:29 PM - Wed Jul 19 2017

Ionian Hetairoi NARI!!!

I would like to take this moment to say no, my avatar isn't Saber.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.