COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
People wearing clothing instead of armour?

I see the devs are putting a lot of work into tailoring so what is the incentive to wear "normal" clothes and not just wear your armour all the time (if you have any)?

Because I want to see most people in civilian clothing most of the time and not run around with everyone decked out in armour all the time; I certainly won't be.

7/22/2017 1:32:52 PM #1

Armour may affect stamina and other stats, so wearing cloths when not in danger might be better.

Friend code: FF2B6D
7/22/2017 1:40:27 PM #2

If people do follow RP within Kingdoms, then I could see Kings and Queens making nobles wearing civilian clothes at court etc.

To follow on from Athad's post, I 100% agree with him, why wear something that could potentially slow you down when not in battle?

7/22/2017 1:43:45 PM #3

Posted By RagnarokEU at 2:40 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

If people do follow RP within Kingdoms, then I could see Kings and Queens making nobles wearing civilian clothes at court etc.

To follow on from Athad's post, I 100% agree with him, why wear something that could potentially slow you down when not in battle?

It could also wear down in time as you wear it, make you hot or more sweaty etc..

7/22/2017 1:48:05 PM #4

Hopefully a Few things,

1) you can't sleep in armor and get much benefit.

2) while you can move in short bursts, long term it hinders you. The heavier the armor, the more that is true.

3) It should tire you out just wearing it. Armor is heavy.

Even chainmail with proper gambeson creates pressure points and wearing it days on end would really tear a body down. Plate was worn mostly for battle, show, and competition, as far as all the sources I could find.

There is no record I have seen of any "royalty" wearing armor outside such occasions, even the hated, despised, and paranoid. To me that means the drawbacks would have to be great or everyone was just "defying logic".

LOL

7/22/2017 1:50:55 PM #5

Well it would be absolutely realistic to get tired faster and be sweating more when constantly wearing armor. I mean, heat is a very real danger when you are wearing armor for hours on end, you will absolutely want to drink more and burn calories faster. As long as they incorporate that into the game, we won't see everyone running around in full plate 100% of the time.

Also, being in unfitted armor is also more tiresome / annoying, and I can see someone not wanting to risk getting more sores over the day, just wearing the armor when absolutely needed for. Well fitted, masterfully crafted armor should in turn come with some more pleasure while wearing it, as having a tougher "second skin" in terms of fitting wouldn't matter all too much in the long run.

7/22/2017 1:59:56 PM #6

I could see someone wearing a Light Cuirass, Leg guards and Arm guards. I'd imagine it would have to be light and well fitted to be worn all day. But anything more would be a little much.

7/22/2017 2:06:40 PM #7

I went and looked it up, Maximilian Plate(height of fancy armor in the west) weighed around 45-55 kg. (Also noting that most late period Plate Armor was NOT intended for "Free Combat" but rather Mounted Combat. Mostly because of this.)

Early Gothic Plate was much lighter, 15-25 kg. and allowed for greater movement and agility, However, weapon development created poleaxes and halberds and these armors quickly fell to the wayside, as did their dead occupants.

Side Note: That is Also why they developed barding for horses when the later period heavy plate was developed. You HAD to protect your mount as well as yourself, otherwise there was no point.

Claymores were used on unarmored horses to take the "legs" from armored knights. Then you'd jump in with you Dirk and Targe. Polearms could take you out as well.
That is when "War Horses" started to come into being, because they were required to carry 400kg and needed to be Huge.

Cost quickly became the limiting factor for "troop use" of plate. I could not find a source, but somewhere I know I read that most of Maximillian's sets cost the equivalent of 2 million dollars modern.

7/22/2017 2:31:38 PM #8

We have all seen clothing in other games that comes with boosts that are not necessarily for fighting.

Clothing of certain qualities could be impressive to other people thus giving a boost to your dealings with NPC's. So when just doing business, it would be better to be wearing fine clothes than a set of armor. That would be one way to make clothing crafting more profitable.

Also, certain kinds of clothing will better deal with the weather and temperatures than some kinds of armor.

7/22/2017 2:36:00 PM #9

What ImmaculateDeception said. I imagine wearing full-plate in the mountains/north would just be begging to freeze to death, with the opposite true in the desert. In less extreme examples, its still just unnecessarily cumbersome and heavy, as others have pointed out.

7/22/2017 2:42:31 PM #10

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 3:31 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

We have all seen clothing in other games that comes with boosts that are not necessarily for fighting.

Clothing of certain qualities could be impressive to other people thus giving a boost to your dealings with NPC's. So when just doing business, it would be better to be wearing fine clothes than a set of armor. That would be one way to make clothing crafting more profitable.

Also, certain kinds of clothing will better deal with the weather and temperatures than some kinds of armor.

It has been said by devs that what you wear leaves and impact on the NPCs, for example talking to a wealthy aristocrat in shabby clothes will make them like you less.

7/22/2017 2:47:25 PM #11

Posted By Maulvorn at 07:42 AM - Sat Jul 22 2017

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 3:31 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

It has been said by devs that what you wear leaves and impact on the NPCs, for example talking to a wealthy aristocrat in shabby clothes will make them like you less.

Then that seems to answer the OP in your question already.

7/22/2017 2:50:06 PM #12

Posted By Llewelyn_Disgyndwr at 4:06 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

I went and looked it up, Maximilian Plate(height of fancy armor in the west) weighed around 45-55 kg. (Also noting that most late period Plate Armor was NOT intended for "Free Combat" but rather Mounted Combat. Mostly because of this.)

Armor of that weight is most likely a kind tournament armor, solely used for jousting.

I think it depends on your profession, whether you should wear armor "all the time" or not. If you are someone who is expected to do stuff in armor, like a soldier or a caravan guard, you better keep it on all the time, to get used to it and build up some stamina. For all others it seems to be a useless burden though.

The truth is born in argument

7/22/2017 2:54:03 PM #13

Hope I can get a night gown and cap for bed time.

7/22/2017 3:06:52 PM #14

Posted By Luminios at 3:50 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

Posted By Llewelyn_Disgyndwr at 4:06 PM - Sat Jul 22 2017

Armor of that weight is most likely a kind tournament armor, solely used for jousting.

I think it depends on your profession, whether you should wear armor "all the time" or not. If you are someone who is expected to do stuff in armor, like a soldier or a caravan guard, you better keep it on all the time, to get used to it and build up some stamina. For all others it seems to be a useless burden though.

even then you wouldn't or at least a full set of armour, if you are travelling you might take some of it off.

7/22/2017 3:08:28 PM #15

Also, if you fall in a large body of water, you risk perma-death. You are more encumbered so you have less that you can carry. I imagine your character is not as agile as normal, so any parkour or fast movement will pose a challenge. Your range of motion is generally more limited and your overall appearance should deteriorate faster.

Take this CoE Character Census so that the community can see where people are planning to start and what tribes they want!

Friend Code: 4E637C