COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Community and the Dras

I was just wondering about the opinions of the community regarding the Dras, the swamp and everything about their culture. Also reading on why people like and dislike the Dras would be interesting.

7/23/2017 4:45:45 PM #1

I like them.

The TFQ lore is interesting, and I can't wait to see the Dras focus on the Life side of the Balance be perverted.

Should be lots of opportunity for herbal crafting (poisons or cures, dyes, etc), and the tolerance of disease is a really interesting unbalancing mechanic.

7/23/2017 5:03:24 PM #2

Their potential for alchemy and being safe from the poisons they ingest is one of the biggest things I like from them. Being able to potentially make cures for illnesses and poisons and maybe even make a potion that raises endurance against the elements (UV rays primarily), all that and more calls out to me greatly.

7/23/2017 6:24:06 PM #3

I have mixed feelings about them. On the other hand, they would be great tribe for me because I'm into exploring, being able to eat rotten food, drink dirty water plus having full immunity to diseases aaand high resistance to poisons? Those would make survivnig in the wild so much easier, honestly they are almost perfect, the price is that I would look like a dead person, which is not that bad.. but I would have to avoid combat while exploring. IIRC they are physically weak? They are very interesting and I'm not sure if the advantages over the enviroment etc can overcome their physical weaknesses.

Oh and I would avoid the swamp biome itself.. insect phobia and all that.

"Give it a try", whispered the heart. || Adventuring on EU

7/23/2017 6:50:39 PM #4

They are my favourite tribe pretty much. Love the chemical warfare, the communal attitude to learning and biome seems like it might be interesting. They also have good trade and diplo potential.

7/23/2017 6:57:31 PM #5

They'd be a great tribe to force into labor for other tribes. Can eat whatever is fed to them pretty much and not strong enough to fight back against oppressors if they don't have access to toxins.

Just kidding of course.

7/23/2017 7:13:36 PM #6

Well they are not physically weak, they are "weaker than the Janoa" which are strong and agile. Plus in the description its (Social> Mental/Physical) not (Social> Mental> Physical)

7/23/2017 8:15:15 PM #7

Oh yeah, the Two Fold Queen is my favourite in game religion as well and I like the Dras embracing life as opposed to the Waerd embracing death.

7/23/2017 9:01:37 PM #8

Personally, I think The Dras could end up being a powerhouse. They will have Bog Iron. They will have Jet Black Stone which can be used for both building and for weaponry. They will also have that for jewelry and you know plenty of people will want Obsidian Jewelry. Black always sells in these kind of games.

They will be able to use diseases and toxins without having much fear of them themselves.

Their biome will have a natural defensive nature to it and there likely will be some places with some hard ground for them to build defenses on with their stone.

The Dras have the potential to be very strong.

7/23/2017 9:18:20 PM #9

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 11:01 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Personally, I think The Dras could end up being a powerhouse. They will have Bog Iron. They will have Jet Black Stone which can be used for both building and for weaponry. They will also have that for jewelry and you know plenty of people will want Obsidian Jewelry. Black always sells in these kind of games.

They will be able to use diseases and toxins without having much fear of them themselves.

Their biome will have a natural defensive nature to it and there likely will be some places with some hard ground for them to build defenses on with their stone.

i am no expert, maybe Huntsmaster can help us here, but from what i found jet stone would be more like marble if used for construction, it is not really a strong stone, they might clad brick walls with jet stone.

I like them too, so much thing would make them the perfect bad guys except they are not .. i might play a wandering Dras plague doctor, forensic examiner, heal the poor and help solve murders

7/23/2017 9:29:01 PM #10

Posted By markof at 2:18 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 11:01 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

i am no expert, maybe Huntsmaster can help us here, but from what i found jet stone would be more like marble if used for construction, it is not really a strong stone, they might clad brick walls with jet stone.

That would be cool as well. My first thoughts on Jet Stone would that it would be for weapons, ornamentation and perhaps some decoration of armor. As a building usage, you are right, it would have to be very sturdy to be used as a building material which would then in turn make it much harder to use as a weapon grade material.

Since they do use earth as a building material, you could be dead on with the covering of brick walls with the jet stone. They would use wood as the support.

7/23/2017 9:36:38 PM #11

Posted By markof at 2:18 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Jet is basically similar to coal, but made from trees (instead of peat). It does chip and break easily, but it's fairly suitable for carving otherwise. Until experimenting with the CoE version to see if there are new characteristics, I would assume that it would be used for ornamentation of weapons rather than for weapons themselves.

7/23/2017 9:45:31 PM #12

Black Rock (Jet) is the second listing for both Weapons/Tools and Housing.

I have a hard time believing, at this point, that it is going to be that brittle. It would be the third listing in Housing if it really was that brittle and was simply used for decoration, wouldn't it?

Dras Write up

7/23/2017 9:59:19 PM #13

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 2:45 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Black Rock (Jet) is the second listing for both Weapons/Tools and Housing.

I have a hard time believing, at this point, that it is going to be that brittle. It would be the third listing in Housing if it really was that brittle and was simply used for decoration, wouldn't it?

Dras Write up

Yes, I've read the writeup, and that's why I slipped in the caveat about waiting to see what it is in game. As I said, on earth it's closer to coal than to anything else, so it would seem more appropriate for decoration and ornamentation than structural components.

7/23/2017 10:08:14 PM #14

I found this about Jet. It is an actual mineral.

Jet

"Ever wondered where the word jet-black came from? Jet is a black stone, and jet-black, meaning as black as can be, originally meant as black as the jet stone. The black stones are not pure mineral, but are in fact wood decomposed under high pressure over millions of years."

Jet Stone

So, it is an actual material and it is the product of decomposed tree material. So, is it as hard as petrified wood? Most usage of it in the actual world is for jewelry. Perhaps I will dig further to find usage of it in building but this is what I have found so far.

7/23/2017 10:24:52 PM #15

Jet Stone has a Mohs hardness rating of 2.5-4.0. Also at the 4.0 range is Iron. Steel is at 4.0-4.5 so perhaps the better quality and better worked Jet Stone can then be used for building?

Jet Wiki

Mohs scale