COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Ideas for the Waerd

It seems like The Waerd have a more disadvantage in law and lore than advantage, so why not give them some uniqueness that will at least make them fun to play.

• Animal Taming: give them the ability to tame aggressive animals and mounts easier than the other tribes.

• Mammoth (Elephant) mounts. The ability to charm a mammoth; the beast will lay on its chest and a player can climb on it's back. Player will give the command and the mammoth will rise up making the beast ridable. An army of Waerd mounted on mammoth's can definitely end a war; like it ended Alexander the Great's fame in history, when he fled from Queen Candace of Nubia when he witnessed her giant mounts.

• Taming lions. The ability to tame up to 2 lions as companions that will fight and hunt beside a Waerd. A Waerd can even mount one of his lion or lionesses.

Thoughts?

7/23/2017 6:51:48 PM #1

All those things would be cool, but since the Waerd aren't allowed to fight in large scale they wouldn't really make sense. Not like you're gonna use a mammoth or other animal in an ambush or assassination.

Maybe these things would work for the Owem or Erishe. Well, probably more the Erishe, seeing as the Owem seem more like foot soldiers, even though the Savannah would have more aggressive animals than an arid desert in theory.

7/23/2017 7:40:28 PM #2

Posted By TorenHansson at 11:51 AM - Sun Jul 23 2017

All those things would be cool, but since the Waerd aren't allowed to fight in large scale they wouldn't really make sense. Not like you're gonna use a mammoth or other animal in an ambush or assassination.

Maybe these things would work for the Owem or Erishe. Well, probably more the Erishe, seeing as the Owem seem more like foot soldiers, even though the Savannah would have more aggressive animals than an arid desert in theory.

Wow saying that The Waerd aren't allowed to fight in a large scale battle, is a bold statement.

Let me clear some things up regarding this lore. The lore was created for us to use as a template, but whoever ends up ruling the Waerd Kingdom has the right to change the laws if need be. So there is no restrictions on them fighting in large scale battles as of yet, it is just a religious ideal at this point and whoever takes the crown will have a say how the laws of war will work in the Waerd Society.

Also, I don't see why you couldn't have mammoth's and lion's in the arid desert. Since The Waerd come from The Hot, I am sure they brought their mounts and pets with them to breed for the future.

7/23/2017 7:48:02 PM #3

Posted By Serverus at 3:40 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Also, I don't see why you couldn't have mammoth's and lion's in the arid desert. Since The Waerd come from The Hot, I am sure they brought their mounts and pets with them to breed for the future.

For the same reason there aren't lions and wooly animals in real life deserts. Don't forget that the team is aiming for an ecology that makes sense. They won't just put polar bears in deserts and elephants in the air, it would make no sense.

7/23/2017 7:54:49 PM #4

The Brudvir are already the animal tamers. I would have liked to see mild poison resistance as a trait, but maybe that'll be the Erishe?

7/23/2017 7:57:14 PM #5

It would make sense for Assassins Inc. aka the Waerd to have some resistance to poisons.

7/23/2017 8:00:29 PM #6

Posted By Chroniclesofalias at 12:48 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Posted By Serverus at 3:40 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

For the same reason there aren't lions and wooly animals in real life deserts. Don't forget that the team is aiming for an ecology that makes sense. They won't just put polar bears in deserts and elephants in the air, it would make no sense.

I don't know what ecology you studied, but last I checked there are plenty of lions and elephants in Africa, which is primarily our desert. In fact this is where the species originated.

7/23/2017 8:47:40 PM #7

Posted By Serverus at 1:00 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

I don't know what ecology you studied, but last I checked there are plenty of lions and elephants in Africa, which is primarily our desert. In fact this is where the species originated.

Nope. There are plenty of elephants and lions in the African savannah. Not the desert. Africa has ~50% of the savannah biome on earth (and elephants are actually capable of transforming forested areas into savannah, by destroying tree cover). There's a subspecies of elephant that lives in the desert, but they're considerably smaller and less numerous than the savannah elephants.

7/23/2017 8:52:14 PM #8

Posted By Serverus at 2:40 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Wow saying that The Waerd aren't allowed to fight in a large scale battle, is a bold statement.

Let me clear some things up regarding this lore. The lore was created for us to use as a template, but whoever ends up ruling the Waerd Kingdom has the right to change the laws if need be. So there is no restrictions on them fighting in large scale battles as of yet, it is just a religious ideal at this point and whoever takes the crown will have a say how the laws of war will work in the Waerd Society.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but none of this makes the least bit of sense. Also to enter into open warfare is strictly against their tribal laws, which probably means it came from the Two-fold Queen, a goddess.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

7/23/2017 8:54:09 PM #9

Posted By Huntsmaster at 1:47 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Posted By Serverus at 1:00 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Nope. There are plenty of elephants and lions in the African savannah. Not the desert. Africa has ~50% of the savannah biome on earth (and elephants are actually capable of transforming forested areas into savannah, by destroying tree cover). There's a subspecies of elephant that lives in the desert, but they're considerably smaller and less impressive than the savannah elephants.

Exactly my point, which is why I said Africa is primarily desert. Which means based on our real ecology, it would make sense if the Waerd adopted and brought mammoths and lions from the Hot, which we hope has a savannah like biome in it. We have not seen any footage of the desert yet, so there is a possibility a savannah like region could exist even in the arid desert, I don't think it will be all sand. Just like the swamp biome won't be all swamps.

7/23/2017 9:00:34 PM #10

Posted By Serverus at 10:00 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

hum they live in the savanna, not the arid desert, Africa is not only desert you know...... Cold semi-arid desert is found more in north america, northen asia and europe than in Africa. look for Utha, Montana and the grand bassin.

The animals there are rodents, rabits, snakes and lizard, birds of prey and jackals and foxes, on the outskirts or around larger water sources you might find mountain goats, long horns, and wolfs or pumas but no african lion and no extra large herbivores, the bushes and cacti and the scarcity of water do not allow for big herbivores.

But they could definitely tame and train birds of prey or snakes.

But are'nt they already pretty unique ? and animal taming a trait already shared by several other tribes ? if you want to make them unique give them distillation and tequila and mezcal, distillation while every body else is stuck on fermentation that is a huge advantage and a fun one too.

7/23/2017 9:09:58 PM #11

Posted By markof at 2:00 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

Posted By Serverus at 10:00 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

hum they live in the savanna, not the arid desert, Africa is not only desert you know...... Cold semi-arid desert is found more in north america, northen asia and europe than in Africa. look for Utha, Montana and the grand bassin.

The animals there are rodents, rabits, snakes and lizard, birds of prey and jackals and foxes, on the outskirts or around larger water sources you might find mountain goats, long horns, and wolfs or pumas but no african lion and no extra large herbivores, the bushes and cacti and the scarcity of water do not allow for big herbivores.

But they could definitely tame and train birds of prey or snakes.

But are'nt they already pretty unique ? and animal taming a trait already shared by several other tribes ? if you want to make them unique give them distillation and tequila and mezcal, distillation while every body else is stuck on fermentation that is a huge advantage and a fun one too.

Exactly, and since this will be Elyria and not Earth, I am sure SBS can figure out a way to make the Waerd biome have a bit of both; just like Africa has both desert and savannah.

7/23/2017 9:11:07 PM #12

I wouldn't mind seeing Waerd being able to potentially tame something akin to a Puma but this is Semi-Arid. It really isn't Lion country.

I think we will see that with The Owem. I do agree though that The Waerd are going to need some added touch ups.

7/23/2017 9:42:01 PM #13

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 2:11 PM - Sun Jul 23 2017

I wouldn't mind seeing Waerd being able to potentially tame something akin to a Puma but this is Semi-Arid. It really isn't Lion country.

I think we will see that with The Owem. I do agree though that The Waerd are going to need some added touch ups.

I agree with that. Which is why I made this thread to fight for the Waerd. I know it's not the most popular tribe, but I want to see them succeed and not get exploited. Give them something positive for a strength. Not pumas though lol. Maybe wild hyenas or flesh eating birds.

7/23/2017 9:43:30 PM #14

Quite the opposite, OP. Open availability of tools and resources potentially puts them at quite an advantage and one that might require nerfing after initial tests. Nothing that points to disadvantage.

7/23/2017 9:53:46 PM #15

If an additional advantage is added an additional disadvantage should be added. There are already some very strong advantages they have (bolstering, easiest population expansion, assassin bonuses, the easiest access to gear). If some of the current disadvantage is seen as too strange for people's liking we should list which advantage we'd give up to rid the waerd of that disadvantage. Personally, I'd give up the shared housing or unisex gear to drop shadow war. Maybe even give up both.