COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Land selection???

The developers have been giggling like school girls about domain and land selection for the last 4 months but yet everytime we ask when we should it expect it they keep answering with that damn "soon".

I don't know about you guys but I don't think the developers definition of soon is the same as the English dictionaries. I just want a solid answer on if it's going to happen before the end of August.

Supposedly they were going to do it after all the tribes were announced but then they pushed the tribe releases back two months.

Not to mention they have stated themselves that they have not started working on the ecology of the biomes aside from the grassland so how do they expect kingdoms and duchies to choose land if they don't even know what they are choosing will look like in game and what resources they will have.

It's all just a mess

P.S. why is the grassland the most important biome ever in Elyria. Hopefully the other ones get the same amount of love and respect. But then again if that happens the game wouldn't be done until 2045

7/24/2017 10:26:53 AM #1

I tend to agree that they can't expect people to make choices without proper biome info from mechanical and content to aesthetic perspectives.

I suspect the reason for their current biome focus is to do with the prologue setting?

I also suspect that a lot of the processes and even the assets they develop for one biome can be used to speed up the process for the remainder.

Maybe when we get the State of Elytia we will get a more concrete answer to domain selection. SoE, coming soon ;)

7/24/2017 10:40:43 AM #2

Game development takes a long time. For SBS, my interpretation of "soon" is that we will see it in less than a year, and possibly in as little as a few months. It is frustrating to wait, and there have been a few things recently that appear to have pushed domain selection further back.

We don't and never had a specific date for domain selection. We may get one with the "State of Elyria" address that Caspian is putting together, but we'll see. SBS has generally been telling us the order things will happen in, but not how long each step will take. According to the development timeline that we have (on the wiki here: https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Development_Timeline), we are currently waiting for SBS to finish version 3.0 of the website and World Generation. We don't know exactly where they are with either of those, just that they are currently the focus of development, at least with regards to progress that will be visible to us.

They are focusing on the ecology of the grasslands at the moment because they are working towards the release of the Prologue, which takes place in the grasslands. The ecology of the other tribes wont matter until ElyriaMUD. As for choosing domains, the tribe write-ups actually give a pretty good idea of what resources will be available in each specific biome.

Building anything is always a messy process. Most game developers don't give the public such a close look at it, so we just see the finished product. But SBS does have a plan and they are making progress on it. Don't get too discouraged.

Shieldwall Strong!

7/24/2017 10:55:50 AM #3

Land Selection isn't for another year or 2, it's exposition, domain selection is for nobles and aristocrats only.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

7/24/2017 11:54:19 AM #4

Posted By Count_Emiya at 11:55 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Land Selection isn't for another year or 2, it's exposition, domain selection is for nobles and aristocrats only.

Not quite, it's tied to the KoE and the MUD.

7/24/2017 12:21:02 PM #5

I have Been here for 4 months and the way they rollout things have not been exactly that great. Got to admit the recent rollouts of the tribes where not that bad at all. but they did pushed it out 2 months. That being said I believe alot of what they are rolling out on tribes are ideas more than anything else , When I signed up for COE it was based on Neran So all this Diversification on tribes I believe has really pushed everything out . personally if they get domain selection done by the end of the year it would be a big plus. I realize there are delays and a lot of changes though development of COE . So Right now I am just hoping for a map and v3.0 web site in the coming months and not much else. Anything more is just a plus.

7/24/2017 1:09:47 PM #6

Game development takes awhile. Why it's good when the state of elyria drops. Should give us a better update on things. And so should any future updates of those. Over expecting them to know when everything will be ready.

Posted By Maulvorn at 9:54 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Posted By Count_Emiya at 11:55 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Not quite, it's tied to the KoE and the MUD.

What is not quite about that? Care to explain?

7/24/2017 1:36:29 PM #7

Posted By Gunnlang at 06:09 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

What is not quite about that? Care to explain?

Just a re-cap, Domain selection is for Counties, Dukes, and Monarchs. Land selection is for Mayors, Barons, and those buying land with EP.

He believes that Mayors/Barons will be able to participate in KoE, so land selection mustn't be to far away from domain selection.

He is correct. DJ19, Kingdoms of Elyria subtopic, third paragraph.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/24/2017 1:59:39 PM #8

Posted By Corin at 11:36 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Just a re-cap, Domain selection is for Counties, Dukes, and Monarchs. Land selection is for Mayors, Barons, and those buying land with EP.

He believes that Mayors/Barons will be able to participate in KoE, so land selection mustn't be to far away from domain selection.

He is correct. DJ19, Kingdoms of Elyria subtopic, third paragraph.

Well domain selection would be for mayors as well. But we know everyone will be able to play in KoE. But I saw nothing in the third paragraph that says land selection would be soon after.

7/24/2017 2:05:51 PM #9

Posted By Gunnlang at 06:59 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Well domain selection would be for mayors as well. But we know everyone will be able to play in KoE. But I saw nothing in the third paragraph that says land selection would be soon after.

Elryria MUD and KoE are set to release a few months after domain selection. Mayors/Barons can participate in KoE. Therefore, land selection must happen in the few months between domain selection and the MUD/KoE.

So if all goes as planned, they should be released close together.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/24/2017 2:16:18 PM #10

Posted By Corin at 09:05 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Elryria MUD and KoE are set to release a few months after domain selection. Mayors/Barons can participate in KoE. Therefore, land selection must happen in the few months between domain selection and the MUD/KoE.

Land Selection will happen in Exposition, I don't think CoE will be done so soon for it to start a few months after the Pre-Alpha Experiences.

7/24/2017 2:19:14 PM #11

Posted By grandad1982 at 06:26 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Maybe when we get the State of Elytia we will get a more concrete answer to domain selection. SoE, coming soon ;)

I am figuring once SoE gives us information we should have a clearer picture of what is going on with CoE. Until we get that information it is really hard to speculate on anything. I am hoping this will answer many of our questions.

7/24/2017 2:47:54 PM #12

Posted By Xeyska at 07:16 AM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Land Selection will happen in Exposition, I don't think CoE will be done so soon for it to start a few months after the Pre-Alpha Experiences.

I never said CoE would be done a few months after the Pre-alpha experiences, I said KoE will be done a few months after domain selection.

Are you saying that Mayors and Barons are included in Domain selection, not Land selection? Because we can't have KoE without them.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

7/24/2017 2:54:25 PM #13

Posted By Corin at 4:47 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

Because we can't have KoE without them.

You can't have KoE without ElyriaMUD either, because KoE 'gives orders' that are supposed to be executed in ElyriaMUD, which then influences KoE through it's outcome. And since people need to physically start out somewhere, logic would dictate that everybody and not only nobles would be part of 'domain selection', as in having to select a settlement where they'd start at.

Which would be great to happen sooner than later, since that would allow communities to finally gain traction and grow. A good deal of people would like to know which community would carter for their specific style (tribe/biome/border/resources/what have you) before they dedicate.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

7/24/2017 3:03:53 PM #14

Posted By Corin at 4:05 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

land selection, is when your character actually select the land parcels you'll start as owner.

To do land selection we therefor need a character and a domain. We will have a domain after domain selection, we will have a character, only right before exposition.

the characters we'll get during KoE are not really CoE characters, the first real CoE character we'll have is the one we create for exposition.

So land selection happen just before the start of exposition.

Land selection was described long ago as the moment when a character enters exposition and take control of his settlement. At that time he'll be granted a special currency, the amount of it depending on his settlement. That special currency will be used to "buy" land and buildings existing in the settlement, the fancier, bigger, more expensive the building or the land the more special currency needed to "buy" it.

At the end of the process the character will be the actual owner of what was "bought" with the special currency.

Land selection will happen after KoE and the MUD but before exposition, or at the start of exposition.

7/24/2017 3:25:25 PM #15

Alright. let's restart the conversaition

Barons and Mayors participate in KoE, therefore, they must have had picked their land before KoE is released.

Am I wrong in that Barons/Mayors need to pick their settlements in-order to play as their settlement in KoE?

I just don't understand where the confusion is coming from, you can't run a town if you don't have a town, it's just not humanly possible. Is there some confusion as to whether or not Barons/Mayors are in land selection vs. domain selection?

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.