COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mega-Structures

So this crossed my mind whenever COE intruded on my mind the other day. Mega-Structures, huge structures that may/may not have any benefit but just look damn cool. Like for example, The Great Wall, it looks cool, and has a defensive purpose, It will be interesting to see what kind of structures players end up building in the game, maybe people will make another great wall, but in an Arabic style of architecture, or build a great lighthouse, a beautiful palace. and Mega doesn't always mean big either, You could go with something like Hagia Sofia, it's large sure, but it is intricately carved in many places and for the time it was made, it was a feat of engineering. I don't know just droppin' a brain dumb here,

The Question is though, would the architecture/building system, allow you to make such structures, since they are all, unique and up to the players ability and the people who make it, but the way you use the architecture tool as a forced desiginer, or is it more of an optional template?

7/24/2017 9:49:17 PM #1

You need to blueprint what you are building, and your ability to blueprint is limited by your understanding of architecture, as well as the materials you are working with.

So you not only are limited by the designs you know, but also by materials and their strengths and weaknesses, so in order to build larger structures you might need to learn more architectural designs, while also pushing for new materials (such as concrete or reinforced concrete and steel and etc etc).

I do not think there is a way to 'free form' build and just plop down walls without blueprints, but even if there were you are still limited by the structural integrity of the structure you plop down and the materials ability to hold itself up (I'd suggest not stacking up a 7 story high straw building...)

7/24/2017 10:10:23 PM #2

In going to build a Dyson sphere. Any other mega structure just feels to small in comparison.

7/24/2017 11:13:04 PM #3

Posted By grandad1982 at 5:10 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

In going to build a Dyson sphere. Any other mega structure just feels to small in comparison.

The big reveal... Elyria is an undiscovered system in Star Citizen.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

7/24/2017 11:37:58 PM #4

I think any Mega Structure, from a Coliseum to a Great Wall will take a Kingdom, or at least a wealthy Dutchy to build as it will probably take multiple blueprints, a variety of materials bu the bulk, and many other specialty trades. So I do see this happening down the line I don't see it happening soon after launch.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/25/2017 12:21:12 PM #5

Well i wasn't suggesting a right a way kinda of deal, but I was curious on how you would build it, because i'm very not sure of the building mechanics will be in the game. Of course these would take a brilliant mind, you'd have to take into account materials, physics the like. They didn't call the great wall a feat of engineering for nothing. (Though it was built and improved upon many times)

7/25/2017 3:57:49 PM #6

Didn't they mention something about things like Colosseums and similar things during a Q&A when someone asked about customising our settlements during expo? if it's possible we can buy such impressive structures in expo we may also have the ability at some stage to build them and if not in the game at expo or launch there's always potential of adding the capability later on via a tech tree.

7/25/2017 5:02:55 PM #7

I do believe that these would help you:

Stupid Hrothi Tricks

Hrothi Fortress Megaprojects

That being said, I do plan on constructing a large necropolis as a sort of megaproject.

As for the original question. The architecture tool has not been released so we simply do not yet know.

I imagine large structures such as a Great Wall would be built by adding onto the current structure. And simply expanding it over time much like the actual Great Wall.

The same is probably true of non-wall projects. You can always add more rooms to your house, same principle but with far more land and resources involved.

7/25/2017 5:21:59 PM #8

Posted By Sullen at 7:37 PM - Mon Jul 24 2017

I think any Mega Structure, from a Coliseum to a Great Wall will take a Kingdom, or at least a wealthy Dutchy to build as it will probably take multiple blueprints, a variety of materials bu the bulk, and many other specialty trades. So I do see this happening down the line I don't see it happening soon after launch.

Actually I think it might just be the opposite...

Not with the cost and groups required and such, but your timeframe.

If I read the economy correctly, pre-launch is the ONLY time you will actually be able to BUY the materials/kits, etc. needed to accomplish this with any sort of ease.

And no I am not going down the pay to win scenario---it is NOT---it is pay to develop.

For example in GOT you have The Wall, built way back when by Bran The Builder. It an important factor in the whole big story. But it didn't just appear. Ol' Bran put it up generations before any of the current characters got there.

That's what I see being the option here. If you wish to help by spending real world money, you too can be Bran. Make it big and grand. Make it yours. It's better than having the devs just put it in and tell you why it is there. But also know that it could end up like Harrenhal, too.

But once the game starts, that is OFF the table.

And now you have to work within the games finite economy.

Let's say you go out and kill the big bad Baboo. You and your family will get the title/name of Babooslayer. And one big Baboo carcass. No big bag of money. No insta-castle. Just a lot of Baboo.

And now you have to do something with it before it rots. Harvesting Baboo parts, storing them, finding buyers, transporting it, etc. etc.. Now you can do this yourself, but that's a lot of work. But it's all your profit.

Or you can go to Baboo Brokers and have them do that for you, but they will take a cut, of course. Less work for you, but less profit. Your call.

Whatever your choice, you have to get it done before the Baboo market goes soft. Now that word is out that Baboos are about and can be killed, the Baboo hunting craze has begun. Guided Baboo Tours, How to Kill Your Baboo books, that sort of thing, etc..

Assuming you did get that all done, and now you have actual currency, congratulations.

You now have to start the process of finding all the things you need to build whatever dream structure you are wanting. Architects, Builders, Suppliers, etc. because there is no store to go to and just click "buy shiny new house". This will also have to factor in the time for the actual building to be built.

So that's my take on the economic reasons, that if you want an IT, that you had probably better just do it before the game goes live rather than after.

It IS going to be a lot more complicated after.

But all those transaction are what is going to BE the game.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

7/25/2017 5:28:40 PM #9

That being said if the Big Bad Baboo has been a recurring issue plaguing a country then a benevolent king/duke/count might award you with a a castle they might have, or big bag of money.

I know as a Count I would award them with something, monster slayers are good to keep around.

7/25/2017 8:07:00 PM #10

And I as a player would support the kind of Count that rewards such players...and so probably would NPCs...thus making it a better county for all.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

7/26/2017 2:23:24 AM #11

The proto proto nerans may have left megastructures for us to discover. Who knows?

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X