COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Late Q&A Question

First, yes I know the Q&A is over but I came up with a question about the Waerd.

If they are communal and give up property, do they still have marriage? Will two Waerd claim each other and expect monogamy, or is it just community love?

7/25/2017 8:31:41 AM #1

They are waerdsexual

Sexy kypiq boy looking for a sexy yoru girl to make many sexy smurfs Inventory Plebment - AN EMPTY BAG

7/25/2017 11:35:26 AM #2

I think what people keep missing about the Waerd is that they treat everyone in the settlement as family. Growing up, food was basically communal property. I knew I could grab pretty much anything in the house for a snack, but I also knew that if I finished something, I should let my mom know so she could add it to her grocery list, and if there was some special event coming up, like Christmas, that she would pick up some special treats that we weren't supposed to eat until Christmas day.

Another example is that toys were basically communal property, but I knew which ones my siblings particularly cared about. If someone got a special toy for their birthday, it was treated as theirs and I would ask if I wanted to borrow it. After some period of time however (days, months, years depending on the toy), I would know that it was no longer a special favorite of theirs and they wouldn't expect me to ask before using it.

If we broke these unwritten expectations regarding communal property, there wasn't usually a punishment except in extreme cases, merely a discussion to sort things out, and maybe some disapproval that we hadn't considered the needs and desires of others.

I think the Waerd will be the same way. Even though legally you are able to take anything from anyone, I think there will be some unwritten expectations about things that you should ask before taking, and things that you should never take unless you have some grave need (ie. don't take the dinner someone just cooked unless you are literally starving). Waerd communities should be small enough and close-knit enough that you will know what each individual values, what will disrupt their work if you take it, and what they have more than enough of.

As for marriage, I haven't heard a definitive answer to your question, but I would point out that first of all, a spouse is not property so I wouldn't expect the same rules to apply. Also, Caspian said yesterday that the Waerd do not value material goods, but do value information and other intangibles. These intangibles are not shared freely. It wouldn't surprise me if marriage fell into this category. On the other hand, children are raised communally and if anyone has a spare room, your child can live there, so maybe they do place less emphasis on marriage. I doubt you will be able to go up to any individual in the settlement and expect them to write up a child contract with you, however. I don't think there will be social pressure to accept your offer just because you are part of the community. I could be wrong, though.

Shieldwall Strong!

7/25/2017 8:24:52 PM #3

I get you want to defend the Waerd, just do it where its needed. 4 paragraphs explaining something that is unrelated to my question is a waste of my time and yours. The last paragraph is the only one applicable to the question.

With that slightly applicable paragraph, you ignored everything in the previous 4 paragraphs you wrote about them being communal. Communal is a culture, a mindset, so even if you don't "own" another person the culture could still apply...

7/25/2017 8:50:22 PM #4

I can't definitively answer your question since it hasn't really been discussed by SBS, but I think chances are that monogamy is just as prevalent among The Waerd as it is among other tribes. It takes a couple assumptions to get there, but here's my reasoning: We know what happens when a Waerd leader dies "without an heir," which strongly implies that the parent-child relationship still exists in Waerd society, beyond "all adults of previous generations are your parents." Otherwise, anyone in the settlement would be a valid heir. We don't necessarily know that the spouse-spouse relationship exists as well, but I don't necessarily see any reason to believe it doesn't, given that lineage across generations seems to operate normally for The Waerd. So I would expect that The Waerd are probably no more or less monogamous than any of the other tribes, but, of course, that's basically just speculation at this point.

7/25/2017 11:20:26 PM #5

I don't expect SBS to make new mechanics for things like marriage / families for each tribe. Variations on a theme may occur, but boil it down to lines of code - if something needs lines of code, and is for <1/8th of the player base, chances are it won't happen.

Link to my story