COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
How far should we expect tech to advance?

As the title says, what do you guys think is the most advanced technology that'll ever come to CoE? I think that it'll be almost a certainty that tech advances up to the invention of gunpowder and the rise of weapons like muskets, but I have no idea how much further it'll go. Maybe up until, or just before Industrial Revolution-like tech?

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

8/8/2017 11:28:28 PM #1

I think it almost has to stop at very basic early versions of guns because if not they are going to make 80% of the combat fighting styles obsolete.

Preferably no guns tbh imo. Adding guns in a realistic medieval game is going to create balancing headaches out the ass. I feel like it will be one of those things that are either broken or needed into invisibility due to the natural lack of counter play most gun to melee based systems have. When someone pulls a in on you the only kind of counterplay you really have is hoping THEY miss which isn't really counterplay at all. hoping someone else cannot land their abilities is generally not a good design.

I don't know anymore.

8/8/2017 11:46:01 PM #2

Platemail defeated early guns. It was just too expensive to mass produce. Whereas guns were pretty cheap and required little skill compared to every other weapon of the time save crossbows.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

8/9/2017 12:56:53 AM #3

mid-late renaissance, as far as early guns I would imagine the arquebus would be as advanced as it gets.

8/9/2017 1:04:52 AM #4

I would much prefer a chineese fire lance over a blunderbus

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/9/2017 1:19:10 AM #5

Single shot, muskets and flintlocks would be okay with me. Armor could still deflect them, and they can explode in your hands, plus they take forever and a day to load, and don't work when wet!

I mean, that's a bit off topic, haha. I wouldn't mind reaching that level of tech though.

8/9/2017 1:50:08 AM #6

Posted By RedAngel at 8:04 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

Arquebi are single-shot to my knowledge.

8/9/2017 3:06:01 AM #7

Heavy Cho-ko-nu > Arquebi.

Like a heavy medieval waist ''arrow gun''...lol.

8/9/2017 3:16:32 AM #8

I hate that the technology topic is gun-centric. what about travel, how advanced will the ships be? Can I hope to build a steam powered cart? Hell a steam powered tank surpasses a full field of riflemen. Plus you can transport goods. I hope it goes more steampunk near the endgame of technology, doesn't have to have anything to do with our world.

Human frailty is is. But human ingenuity is exceptional.

8/9/2017 3:29:49 AM #9

Posted By RedAngel at 8:04 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

I don't exactly think Chinese fire lances would show up in a game based on medieval Europe. Then again. it is a fantasy world.

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

8/9/2017 5:10:57 AM #10

Lulz? Who do you think invented gunpowder in the first place along with rockets, cannons, guns, mines, mortars, depth charges, and other fun things?

It is a fantasy after all.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/9/2017 5:20:25 AM #11

Litterally making mithril-vibranium compisite hulls while you are arguing about ancient gun technology. The product type itself alone doesn't have to improve, the material process is also part of technology, so is mass production, so is forensic identity of the product. Guns and ballistic forensics for instance change the identity of certain guns over others among the savvy communities. Easier to track a gun than a dagger in any case. Mostly because the level of craftsmanship requisite of the possession. Craft guilds don't want murder as much as the murderer, so identifiable technology is favorable.

Personally I hope spy technology becomes a big thing.

8/9/2017 5:46:27 AM #12

I just hope that the mats are rare, the cost is steep to produce and maintain, the spread is high, and there is never any clips. Not to mention long load times.

8/9/2017 5:48:35 AM #13

Technology can be about quantity over quality too, mass production for instance.

8/9/2017 5:59:17 AM #14

very true. Though entertaining the notion of guns it would be neat if the quality of it was accuracy vs low quality ones that could blow up in your face at some point.

8/9/2017 6:35:49 AM #15

Posted By RedAngel at 10:59 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

very true. Though entertaining the notion of guns it would be neat if the quality of it was accuracy vs low quality ones that could blow up in your face at some point.

All things decay, it will malfunction eventually and that malfunction could be blowing up in your face. I would expect it to be dangerous to have as well as wield. There would be plenty of downsides, it intrinsically attracts attention to the wielder, it is an object of great value, it relies on a consumable combat component and the ammunition doesn't also act as a weapon. It ultimately favors medium to large groups moving in concert but not in line of sight of each-other. If I had one in game, it would be concealed and used as a weaponized distress beacon in scouting scenarios. Giving my position away would be part of its function, and it would not otherwise be used.