COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The OP nature of magic

If you haven't seen it yet you should check out the magic teaser (or talent teaser) on imgur.

What are your thoughts on its devistation in the context of potentially never getting a chance to use such powers based on random chance luck?

If anyone could repost the link I have not the influence to do so yet.

Personally it seems almost troubling that you would have to go up against a single person with those powers with melee or ranged melee in the first place let alone multiple persons or potential power guilds of such people. It almost creates a suspension of disbelief seeing it. Now I realize it is probably showcasing what it can do but still.

Anyways, What are your thoughts?

8/9/2017 6:05:01 AM #1
+7

Magic will be so rare that if i had to face down someone with magic in pvp, it would be one of those moments where, win or lose, i get to brag about the experience later.

More likely anyone who has magic won't be foolish enough to go try and pk people or they'll get hunted down.

Ironically, because of that, its highly likely who ever does get magic wouldn't have any idea how best to use magic in pvp and would likely die to a hardcore pvper accustomed to mundane weapons.

8/9/2017 6:18:35 AM #2

If I had someone in my kingdom with that power I would see fit that they were decked out in all the best gear and supplies so that you could not kill them easily.

Although the fame system would see to it that you did not live long it pretty much assures that you wont even get to really use the power anyways before you are killed.

Do talents get transferred to your offspring? And can you get more talents beyond that too?

It does not seem like a lot of fun as a mechanic anyway you slice it.

8/9/2017 6:27:47 AM #3
+2

Debating on whether to be an architect, witch hunter, court sword-master or smith

Oh wait, I can (Supposedly) be all of these things in this game. I just need to manage my time. Even if I don't come out on top with super powers, the skills I plan to gain will make me the batman of Elyria anyways. I'll just need to be smarter than talent, and faster than those who possess them.

8/9/2017 6:28:04 AM #4
+2

Conversely the hardcore pvper would not be familiar with the use of magic in combat.

I hope that the player has the ability to apply their talent in ways that are unique to them, like a blacksmith with magic creating enchanted legendary weapons that will only exist in their lifetime. or even a scribe who was responsible for the great magic library that exists in a certain kingdom, leaving that kingdom with a legacy that encourages others of the craft to make the pilgrimage to the renown library of such and such.

8/9/2017 6:33:32 AM #5

They seem a lot more direct then that. I may be wrong.

Like the meteor raining down I dont see being multimodal in the fact that you couldnt rain meteors down on your forge and make legendary things.

It seems more like you get talents that are devistating or helpful in some way or that there would be talents that are specifically designed to make a crafter able to make legendary items specifically.

8/9/2017 6:37:12 AM #6
+3

Posted By Iota at 11:28 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

Conversely the hardcore pvper would not be familiar with the use of magic in combat.

If it bleeds, it can die.

8/9/2017 10:34:25 AM #7
+7

Posted By RedAngel at 12:33 AM - Wed Aug 09 2017

They seem a lot more direct then that. I may be wrong.

Like the meteor raining down I dont see being multimodal in the fact that you couldnt rain meteors down on your forge and make legendary things.

It seems more like you get talents that are devistating or helpful in some way or that there would be talents that are specifically designed to make a crafter able to make legendary items specifically.

They have specifically said that any magic/talents won't be a meteor being called down, or shooting a fireball at someone. Magic and/or talents will be only 5% of the population....and those 5% have to do a lot to discover if they have it and develop it.

Example: 50 people live in a town. 20 of them are player controlled. 1 of those 20 have a hidden magic ability/talent. This person (who we will call Bob) happens to be a Blacksmith who also multi-skills a Weaponsmith specialty, as well as into Scrimshaw for the handles of the weapons he makes. He dabbles in a few rare other things, but nothing that really raises those skills any great amount. Now unbeknownst to Bob, he had the magic ability/talent to sense ore when it was in large quantities, which is why he had always wanted to become a blacksmith, because metal, at least certain raw kinds always felt good to him....but sadly, because he never explored this aspect of life and never became a miner instead of a blacksmith...he never was able to clarify what that feeling was to something more defined and recognizable....and hence very useful.

All in all...from what SBS has said about magic abilities and talents...good luck getting one that has any sort of applicability in pvp.

lol...Pronounced Dare-EE-us ACK-mar...for the many people that have asked and those yet to.
-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

8/9/2017 10:41:02 AM #8
+0

Posted By Vucar at 11:37 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

Posted By Iota at 11:28 PM - Tue Aug 08 2017

If it bleeds, it can die.

Plenty of things die that don't. As for human frailty, implicit enough as is I would say.

8/9/2017 11:20:23 AM #9
+1

What teasers are these your talking about and how do I go about finding them? Did a search and nothing seemingly relevant turned up.

8/9/2017 12:37:21 PM #10
+3

I imagine at game launch the full capabilities of magic will be relatively limited compared to what we imagine, given that we typically imagine magic to be capable of doing anything. A big thing to remember is that as magic is a feature that will only really be seen by a minute percent of the population, the chance of them making it as detailed and expansive as we're thinking is unlikely.

Consider that 1/20 have a talent, and that magic is one talent of possibly up to 40 (Just an estimate I've heard of number of talents there will be, no source.) Now that means 1/800 players will have a magical talent. If we're generous and say half of them discover that talent, that means magic is a feature that one out of every 1600 players will actually get to use.

Now consider the intense amount of programming work it takes for basically ever aspect of magic. A Fireball requires a unique animation for creation, travel, and impact, along with programmed physics of how far it will travel, what damage it will do to various structural types, etc. Every single spell in a magic user's arsenal is likely to take a great deal of time to program, animate and test.

Given that so few people will actually have access to the feature, and that every aspect of advancing it is incredibly time consuming, I imagine magic will be fairly limited in is full capabilities at launch. As time passes after launch and more means for unlocking the magic talent are likely to be introduced I believe they will continue adding to it, giving magic users more capabilities. Day 1 wizards though I doubt will have a massive spell library available to them.

8/9/2017 12:38:00 PM #11
+0

Posted By grandad1982 at 9:20 PM - Wed Aug 09 2017

What teasers are these your talking about and how do I go about finding them? Did a search and nothing seemingly relevant turned up.

I think RedAngel is referring to an image found here

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/9/2017 1:01:40 PM #12
+3

And it is because of attitudes like this that SWG had NGE...

Head Archivist, Marovec V'Ralt - The Enclave - Chair of the Bardic Institute

8/9/2017 1:02:57 PM #13

@ABOOL

That is no excuse for not developing magical abilities since there will be supernatural npcs with magic.

And you have no idea of how stingy or generous a random dice rolled talent system will be or if you or others pick birthdates and born in the right boctune.

This system is terrible and I would rather not have it in the game at all.

8/9/2017 1:24:28 PM #14
+2

Posted By Dariusacmar at 8:34 PM - Wed Aug 09 2017

They have specifically said that any magic/talents won't be a meteor being called down, or shooting a fireball at someone.

...snip...

Now unbeknownst to Bob, he had the magic ability/talent to sense ore when it was in large quantities, which is why he had always wanted to become a blacksmith, because metal, at least certain raw kinds always felt good to him....but sadly, because he never explored this aspect of life and never became a miner instead of a blacksmith...he never was able to clarify what that feeling was to something more defined and recognizable....and hence very useful.

All in all...from what SBS has said about magic abilities and talents...good luck getting one that has any sort of applicability in pvp.

This is my understanding of how magic may work in the game. Add to that the time to master a skill to be effective, particularly in a combat role and the potential negative consequences on the user when used, you may not see any potent magic until years into the game, when Mastery level is reached.

Having said that, will magic be a skill (known or unknown) passed on down the generations of a character, given you have to start from scratch re: skills each new Spark (albeit with increased learning speed)? I'm sorta thinking yes, otherwise the skill will be a single-lifetime use only.

The randomness of magic allocation doesn't bother me. I reckon it could be rather amusing seeing a character become obsessed chasing a skill they believe they have when they don't.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/9/2017 1:44:09 PM #15
+6

Posted By RedAngel at 09:02 AM - Wed Aug 09 2017

@ABOOL

That is no excuse for not developing magical abilities since there will be supernatural npcs with magic.

And you have no idea of how stingy or generous a random dice rolled talent system will be or if you or others pick birthdates and born in the right boctune.

This system is terrible and I would rather not have it in the game at all.

So, because someone else might have something that you don't, you don't want the system in-place at all?

Head Archivist, Marovec V'Ralt - The Enclave - Chair of the Bardic Institute