COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
To buy or not to buy

Hello! I just recently joined and so far this game has really captured my interest. However, buying games that are still in development always puts me on edge (I've been burned by cash grabs in the past). I want to know what this community thinks.

Why should I buy a pledge pack for Chronicles of Elyria? Sell me on it.

8/11/2017 5:37:53 PM #1

Well if you like what you've seen and want to help make the game possible pledge what you feel you can afford.

However if you are unsure about this kind of thing maybe hold off till we see tangible progress in the development. Its not like you lose anything by waiting.

I myself am generally sceptical of Kickstarter and EA games but after reading about CoE it basically sounded like the game I've wanted for the last 25 years! If I didn't try to help make it happen then who knows who long till another game that matches this one will come along?

8/11/2017 5:42:37 PM #2

Posted By grandad1982 at 12:37 PM - Fri Aug 11 2017

Well if you like what you've seen and want to help make the game possible pledge what you feel you can afford.

However if you are unsure about this kind of thing maybe hold off till we see tangible progress in the development. Its not like you lose anything by waiting.

I myself am generally sceptical of Kickstarter and EA games but after reading about CoE it basically sounded like the game I've wanted for the last 25 years! If I didn't try to help make it happen then who knows who long till another game that matches this one will come along?

Those are really good points. I feel the same way you do, this is the coolest idea I've seen in a long time and I really want it to be successful but I'm just so apprehensive.

Maybe I'll wait until they publish more videos of game play before I make a final decision.

8/11/2017 6:32:48 PM #3

I understand your skepticism perfectly, I am not one to separate with my money very easily either. When I stumbled upon Chronicles of Elyria over a year and a half ago, I feel in love with the concept of the game. Which lead me to research every possible bit of information that was out there. At that time it was mostly Bicycle Walrus covering the game. I swear I watched every one of his videos more then once. heh All the information still wasn't enough to convince me that CoE could become a reality.

In the end it was the passion of the Creator (Caspian) and the committed transparency of the team that brought me to gradually part with my loonies. :)

There is no rush to pledge if you are unsure. Maybe by the time they release the ElyrianMud (Open to pledged members) you might be more willing to part with enough for the Elyrian Tier. :) If not, I hope you stick around anyways cause we have a good bunch of folks here.

Welcome to the Community emem5656!

8/11/2017 6:38:17 PM #4

Posted By emem5656 at 10:42 AM - Fri Aug 11 2017

Those are really good points. I feel the same way you do, this is the coolest idea I've seen in a long time and I really want it to be successful but I'm just so apprehensive.

Maybe I'll wait until they publish more videos of game play before I make a final decision.

yup - wait until YOU feel comfortable that the game is coming along in a manner that you think you might enjoy

there are never any guarantees - and i have yet to see any mmo come out that appeals to everybody

i like their vision and interaction with the community

they make blunders at times, which none of us as individuals and groups trying to accomplish something are immune to

the blunders they have made, for me personally, haven't changed my perception that there is very high potential that they deliver something truly unique, enjoyable and satisfying

at this point in development, if hypothetically i was asked if i would want to keep my pledge or have the choice of having my money refunded, i would still keep my pledge

8/11/2017 6:43:07 PM #5

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I've only been browsing forums for a couple days and everyone in this community is just super friendly and great. I'm looking forward to interacting with the community more and watching the game grow.

8/11/2017 10:35:34 PM #6

You should definitely go read the dev journals and watch the Q&A's and even check out the wiki. Its a lot to go through but afterword you will have a really good idea on how you feel about what this game is aiming for.

When you buy a package you can upgrade to a better one so you can hold off on dropping a lot of money. You will definitely want to read up on what exposition is in deciding what package you want.

8/12/2017 2:28:01 AM #7

I would also recommend you read the dev journals and all subsequent updates as there is a ton of early information that then gets tweaked or changed a bit.

For me, I backed this game at the rank I did because I believe in the CEO of SBS, Caspian. I think that what he wants and is aiming to deliver is a game worth playing if you are sick of the current mold for MMOs and want to see a more immersive and alive world.

If I could have pledged more I would have because I truly think this game, if done correctly and in line with what Caspian says he wants and believes it can be, will change MMOs of the future to be much more geared towards actually providing a fun experience for the players, not just a cash grab.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

8/12/2017 2:42:50 AM #8

Welcome emem5656!

-Link- Why should I invest in the game now?

Also please visit [Sticky] Read First General FAQ's for more information! Let me know if you have any questions =D

8/12/2017 3:48:56 AM #9

I am an exceptionally skeptical person and have never backed a kickstarter of any kind, board game or electronic game in the past, simply because I didn't see a great enough value vs possible risk. Two things sold me on this game that other games didn't have. 1. Staff/developer participation with the community in regards to development progress. 2. PAX demos and participation in PAX/gaming events. To me those show they are genuine about making this game and are doing a good job of it. Does that mean it won't eventually fall through...no....but so far they've been fairly spot on about what they've promised.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

8/12/2017 4:23:48 AM #10

I had been looking at the game since kickstarter, but was skeptical due to how productions tend to cut back over time due to budget constraints, schedule demands, etc. Not usually the developers fault ENTIRELY, but it happens...

I eventually let it simmer and then made an account several months ago (after binge watching all of Bicycle's videos). The videos not only allowed me to digest the content, but also see that things were staying pretty consistent, which is always good. The dev journals and other publications by staff surprised as, instead of cutting on features, they were expanding upon them and including new ones. This made me think this was "shoot for the moon or bust" kind of deal, which I respect more even thought it doesn't sound realistic.

Finally, I became a part of the community by participating in discussions as features and news came out. Even starting a few threads myself.

It took ALL of this to just get me to pledge the basic level (about 1.25 years simmering and 3 months on forums); for others they bought the monarch pledge off the bat. What it takes to convince you is based on what you are looking for. I would just advise to take a look around at the VAST amount of info around and see how you feel; worst case scenario: you can just wait a bit longer if your are still interested :D

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

8/12/2017 5:23:51 AM #11

Posted By grandad1982 at 10:37 AM - Fri Aug 11 2017

it basically sounded like the game I've wanted for the last 25 years! If I didn't try to help make it happen then who knows who long till another game that matches this one will come along?

This sums it up for me perfectly

8/12/2017 6:58:01 AM #12

Most of us if not all have been burned at one point or another by Devs that promise one thing but then change it as their game develops. Although Caspian hasn't been immune to this trend either, what's made him different was that he's admitted when he was wrong about a timeline, or when something got changed from what was originally talked about. He and SBS have worked hard to be as transparent as possible an when they screw up, they admit it and take responsibility for it. This has been one of the biggest reason why people have been willing to trust SBS. It also helped that Caspian and his wife spent a HUGE amount of their money upfront to start this project to show that they were willing to put their money out there before ever asking for money via KS. Not a lot of indie developers are willing to do that first. I hope that as time goes by and you see more things revealed that you like what you see 😄😄😄

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

8/12/2017 8:04:42 AM #13

There are many crowd-funded things that have turned out spectacularly bad in the past. So it's not even a case of just games, but any number and type of projects that can greatly disappoint. Either because they don't come out at all, or they come out but are different to what people imagined, were promised, etc. That's just the nature of crowd-funding, once we get down to the basics. Some projects have burned people before.

As for convincing someone as to whether something's worth it, without knowing a heck of a lot more about the individual, I think that turns into a very hard, very subjective topic. You know what you like... does CoE embody the same sort of things for you?

So all I can really offer, personally, is the same thing I'd say to anyone, in any crowd-funding situation out there. (1) Does the project interest you? (2) Do you want to buy-in to the idea - literally - deeper than someone just passing by and actually become part of the community that's putting its money where its mouth is? (3) Do you have spare cash that would otherwise be spent on a few cases of beer, some new clothes, or a weekend away, etc, that would otherwise be just as lost as if you did spend it on a project that went belly-up in a worst case scenario? If yes to all three things, backing at this stage of development and helping a game have a shot at being made is basically a no-brainer.

For someone who isn't sure about the game, or doesn't want to be involved at that deeper level, or really doesn't have spare cash lying around, I'd always advise caution. Hang out and see what happens with your interest level and/or cash reserves, and decide later.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

8/12/2017 10:19:18 AM #14

Like many others here I would suggest you read up as much as possible before making a decision.

For me this game concept brings in all the little things I think about which I would like to see in an MMO. I also found the business model attractive and I doubt anyone can deny the passion Caspian has for making this a reality.

I bought into this game (having been burnt by early accesses and kickstarters like so many others) for two reasons:

• It's an Indie development - I tend to stay away from AAA games these days
  • It's a concept I would like to see come to fruition, regardless of my own length of play.

The main reason you would purchase now is if you want to access Exposition, etc. and/or support the development of the game financially prior to release.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/12/2017 1:50:51 PM #15

I backed the Kickstarter for Chronicles of Elyria because it is exactly the sort of game I've been longing to see for over a decade, and the studio sounded like they had a clear and plausible plan for bringing the game to life. I decided that it sounded likely enough to succeed that I was willing to take the chance, and even if it didn't I wanted to show that there was support for this kind of game, so that others would be likely to try. A year later I increased my pledge because I'd gotten involved in the community, and enjoyed the time spent there so much that I felt I had already gotten my money's worth and was willing to invest a little more. If the game flops, I will of course be very disappointed, but I won't feel that I've wasted my money or my time. This game and it's community has already given a lot back to me.

Shieldwall Strong!