COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
To buy or not to buy

Hello! I just recently joined and so far this game has really captured my interest. However, buying games that are still in development always puts me on edge (I've been burned by cash grabs in the past). I want to know what this community thinks.

Why should I buy a pledge pack for Chronicles of Elyria? Sell me on it.

8/12/2017 4:48:10 PM #16

I would wait. This game has yet to show anything but animations and basic fighting mechanics. Maybe some crafting too, though that's the extent.

They had already surpassed their kickstarter, so you should wait and see for your wallet's sake. I'm still skeptical, though I wont let my skepticism ruin everybody's fun, so for their sake don't burn them. They've already taken a lot of shit from other "skeptics" who've already ironically made up their minds.

Besides, I have a feeling that the game they want CoE to be would be more fun playing from rags to riches.

8/12/2017 5:35:24 PM #17

Posted By emem5656 at

Hello! I just recently joined and so far this game has really captured my interest. However, buying games that are still in development always puts me on edge (I've been burned by cash grabs in the past). I want to know what this community thinks.

Why should I buy a pledge pack for Chronicles of Elyria? Sell me on it.

If you want to get sold on the game then just read the developer journals. I think that'll be enough.

8/12/2017 5:37:12 PM #18

Posted By CruxLore at 12:48 PM - Sat Aug 12 2017

I would wait. This game has yet to show anything but animations and basic fighting mechanics. Maybe some crafting too, though that's the extent.

They had already surpassed their kickstarter, so you should wait and see for your wallet's sake. I'm still skeptical, though I wont let my skepticism ruin everybody's fun, so for their sake don't burn them. They've already taken a lot of shit from other "skeptics" who've already ironically made up their minds.

Besides, I have a feeling that the game they want CoE to be would be more fun playing from rags to riches.

I think there are many of us in here that think in this way, like you and me. We still follow the game but are skeptical about it and are just waiting for SBS to show us something concrete and good.

8/12/2017 7:14:09 PM #19

Let me just say I am so moved and amazed by the quick and passionate response this community gave me on this topic. I will more than likely purchase a pledge once I get some spare cash. This game has so much potential and I can't wait to see it grow and become a deeper part of the community.

Thank you all so much!

8/12/2017 8:10:36 PM #20

Hi there! I also recently found out about this game and have the same thoughts about you, totally normal!

After having dropped by the (in)official discord of CoE I'm actually really impressed and I THINK I will back it. I'll still wait for a couple of days just to make sure this is what I want to do. But from what I have found out is that Soulbound's approach is totally different from what I've seen before. Thing is, there are "events" or whatever you'd like to call them that play out as soon as this autumn/winter that will help in the development. Here is a link: https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Development_Timeline

So I kinda feel like you're gonna get something back even before the game is fully launched. As said I will keep researching a bit more but so far, from what I have seen, it is speaking to me much more than just in an aestetic way.

~

8/13/2017 7:23:11 AM #21

I'm sure many people have said this, but personally when I fund a game in development, it's in the hopes that either they make that game, or someone more capable of doing so recognizes that there is an audience large enough and passionate enough to risk paying for the idea of the game- and that means plenty more money for people who won't be able/willing to. It's a way of "voting with your wallet" and saying "this is something people want."

That being said, I have a lot of faith that SBS will create CoE and that it will be a fun game, even if it doesn't do all that we (and they) hope for.

kypiq

8/13/2017 3:07:16 PM #22

Posted By Chloet at 09:23 AM - Sun Aug 13 2017

(...)in the hopes that either they make that game, or someone more capable of doing so recognizes that there is an audience large enough and passionate enough to risk paying for the idea of the game(...)

^ This a full hundred percent! If you want this sort of game, you now have a (unique ?) chance to vote with your wallet. There's a chance for SBS to fail completely or partly (not deliver on some promises), but regardless of that, it's one of these 'now or never' moments. If they fail, at least other companies could comprehend that there is a market for this sort of game, but only if enough people contribute instead of waiting.

Posted By grandad1982 at 7:37 PM - Fri Aug 11 2017

(...)Its not like you lose anything by waiting(...)

I respectfully disagree. In my humble opinion, you loose the opportunity to let the publishers and developers know that there is a market for this kind of game. It's enough to buy an Elyrian package, but we 'need' numbers if the game-software-bosses are to be convinced that it's not 'basic themepark - or nothing'. That is why I pledged at the Kickstarter and am waiting. Kind of like, I've set my vote and if the game develops where I would like it to be, I can still chip in more money later, but the first initial pledge is important timing wise.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

8/13/2017 4:19:14 PM #23

If you are not feeling comfortable about pledging at this time, then don't. The most important thing when 'investing' or 'backing' something is to feel confident and comfortable with what you are putting funds into.

Although you may not pledge right away, you can still be active within the COE community and keep an eye open for things as they advance. This might allow you to feel more comfortable and confident with the purchase in the future.