COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Project One: Chimera

For a long time now I've been wanting to do some projects for COE. Now I can happily say I'm about to work on them even though I don't have as much time as I'd like. This is the first and I hope that many more will follow. I am planning to go through all the design experiences, hopefully.

Each project will have two post. One for brainstorming with the community and the other for the final 3D product. Mostly for naming things and helping me find reference material because I can't draw to save my life.

Creature one

First creature I'd like to make is inspired by the questing beast of Arthurian legend. I've never seen anything like it in a 3D game setting. The strange creature has the head and neck of a snake, the body of a leopard, the haunches of a lion, and the feet of a hart.

Overall theme Long neck, long legs and reptilian. I've thought of trashing the snake head and giving it an alligator snapping turtle head...

Reference images:

Suggestions that would be helpful

• Names?
  • Fur Placement?
  • How big should it be?
  • Fur Pattern?
  • Forget Fur and go all scales?
  • Forget Scales and it needs to be fluffy?
  • Different animal parts (As long as they align with the overall theme)?

And remember to up vote your favorite suggestions please! Also tell me which design experience you would like me to tackle next.

8/12/2017 1:44:15 PM #1

Oohh I like this creature a lot! Very nice design!

Here are my thoughts:

It should be about as big as a horse or slightly larger. It should have scales on the neck, tail, and legs, but the body should have short fur.

The fur pattern should be spotted like in the pictures. They could have different heads, like some could have cobra heads, and some python, and some viper! That would add some variation to individuals. It could be the Dras's version of a horse! Long scaly legs can help it walk quickly through the swampy water.

As for names, that's a bit difficult. Maybe we can call it the Viper Horse, Hornake, Snorse, or simply Snake Horse lol.

8/12/2017 3:20:45 PM #2

Firstly, be sure to reference the artists when using work that is not your own.

It kind of reminds me of a Kirin, I agree with CaptainSeli it could be the mount for the Dras as it has those long limbs; It would be more suited for the swamp without hooves (maybe webbed feet like those of monitors or coastal iguanas as hooves will sink and make it difficult for them to traverse mud) and being fully scaled instead of having fur (and the goth dreary theme of the Dras :P). Feathers maybe like dinosaurs supposedly had would be more suitable than fur (tiny feathers can have the appearance of fur like those of chicks or ducklings)

8/12/2017 6:46:14 PM #3

Posted By LapisRazuri at 11:20 AM - Sat Aug 12 2017

Firstly, be sure to reference the artists when using work that is not your own.

Made water marks easier to see.

So, looking at it being a swamp oriented creature I could go with something like webbed hoofs. That ways there is a bit more surface area for muddy terrain like snowshoes.

8/12/2017 8:56:48 PM #4

The hooves are inspired by the Sitatunga (and the name) which is a swamp buck whose hooves adapted so it wouldn't get stuck in the mud.

8/12/2017 9:24:30 PM #5

No matter what you do, I think the most important thing is to make sure the color scheme matches throughout the entire body. Otherwise, the creature could end up looking like a Frankenstein mash up rather than one made by nature.

Personally, I think think the body of the first pic and the head of the second would look the best.

8/13/2017 12:37:03 AM #6

Posted By LapisRazuri at 4:56 PM - Sat Aug 12 2017

The hooves are inspired by the Sitatunga (and the name) which is a swamp buck whose hooves adapted so it wouldn't get stuck in the mud.

See that's why I decided to make this post I would have never know that there were adaptations like that.

8/17/2017 6:28:59 PM #7

Instead of having some parts fur and some parts scales, what if you made scaly fur? Like fur that is matted in such a way that it looks similar to scales but is comprised of hairs?

As for a name, I really like the Forest Viperon or King Cobradon, depending on whether or not it has a viper or cobra head.

8/17/2017 6:54:50 PM #8

>Names?

Felangari - I've mashed up the first three letters of the latin words for snake, cat, and deer; which are anguis, feles, and arietes, respectively. I like it.

>Fur Placement? >Fur Pattern? >Forget Fur and go all scales?

I think it would be cool to have the scales go down the neck the end at the shoulders but continue on the bottom half to shield its belly. I think it would be really cool to see the cheeta spots and the fur to be of a reptillian color scheme, metalic green-blue-purple.

>How big should it be?

It would be really cool to see tit's body slightly larger than a thoroughbred, with it's neck and tail whatever size to make it look proportionate.

8/20/2017 12:29:48 PM #9

Posted By Angrymonkeyboy at 2:28 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Instead of having some parts fur and some parts scales, what if you made scaly fur? Like fur that is matted in such a way that it looks similar to scales but is comprised of hairs?

So, after a great deal of looking for image references and mistreated animals(yeap). Its not difficult to do, rather the matted fur would have to have an purpose beyond just looks.

So I have arrived at three options,

• All scales with very fine spaced our hairs (think hair brush) that traps algae in it. The algae would protect the creature from the sun while also providing camouflage.

• A two toned version with water shedding fur on top and a scaly under belly.

• Replacing the fur Idea with feathers akin to LapisRazuri drawing.

Posted By Barri at 2:54 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

>Names?

Felangari - I've mashed up the first three letters of the latin words for snake, cat, and deer; which are anguis, feles, and arietes, respectively. I like it.

>Fur Placement? >Fur Pattern? >Forget Fur and go all scales?

I think it would be cool to have the scales go down the neck the end at the shoulders but continue on the bottom half to shield its belly. I think it would be really cool to see the cheeta spots and the fur to be of a reptillian color scheme, metalic green-blue-purple.

>How big should it be?

It would be really cool to see tit's body slightly larger than a thoroughbred, with it's neck and tail whatever size to make it look proportionate.

I really like the name Felangari (Fel-an-gar-ee) I hope I'm pronouncing that right in my head.

For size, I had the thought of it starting small about the size of a large dog and its growth being dictated by the amount of food available for it.

Strict diet it would maintain a smaller size but have a more ravenous temperament. While over feeding it would allow it to increase in size while being more docile. Drawing upon crocodile and pythons.

If it ended up tamable/ride-able there would be a rather nice dynamic of food balance. How much should you feed for the creature to have the best speed possible? Can you afford to keep feeding it when it gets too big?

Another note: As the creature grows in size the cobra like hood become more prominent as well, but that is just a thought. Smaller younger ones would have little to no cobra hood while the older larger ones would have a big prominent cobra hood.

Project Update:

Nearly done with the base mesh prototype should be done today or tomorrow. Then I'll move on to the lengthy process of sculpting the fine details.

9/13/2017 12:49:27 AM #10

Update

Apologies but shortly after making my last up date post. I've gone into mandatory over time at my work.

We are aiding FEMA by providing transport for thier supplies for the back to back hurricanes.