COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Who else wants to start from scratch

Hey everyone,

Very appealing game.

I find myself NOT interested in starting out as an owner of a hamlet. I've considered pledging more, but building the world doesn't interest me at this time.

I would prefer to start out as an orphan, and create my story and family name from there.

Anyone else feel this way?

Maybe SBS could offer something that would encourage people like me to invest more in the game?

8/12/2017 4:50:40 PM #1

Finally, somebody else who wants to earn that name for themselves not just given it at birth.

I want to start off as a ward every time I start a new life. Find new things that perhaps this ward likes, maybe even become a legend.

8/12/2017 5:06:18 PM #2

Posted By Rabble at

Hey everyone,

Very appealing game.

I find myself NOT interested in starting out as an owner of a hamlet. I've considered pledging more, but building the world doesn't interest me at this time.

I would prefer to start out as an orphan, and create my story and family name from there.

Anyone else feel this way?

Maybe SBS could offer something that would encourage people like me to invest more in the game?

You can start out as anything you like. There are packages for all levels of game play so if you want to be an orphan who makes his/her own way, buy the starter package and go from there. Buy EP to get some basic starting items and explore the world to your heart's content 😉

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

8/12/2017 5:33:02 PM #3

I'm with you brother

8/12/2017 5:50:53 PM #4

I may be starting out as a count but considering we will all be starting over at least 10 times over the life of the game I fully expect to lose everything at some point and start out with nothing.

I pledged as a count largely because of the other goodies at that tier. The county well I get to see the nobility side of the game then lose it all and try to regain it.

Pretty much my own personal story arc has been written.

8/12/2017 6:15:59 PM #5

Starting out as a orphan or as the son/daughter of adventurer has great appeal to me as well.

8/12/2017 6:17:12 PM #6

well the bloodline package ($125) lets you get into the game 3 months early. If your not interested in that then there's nothing in the higher packages that would interest you since it all revolves around giving you stuff. now if you really just don't like the idea of starting as a mayor but dont mind the idea of starting with things like land and a house then that changes things. You can buy the mayor package and then drop the mayor title for EP. or just buy bloodline+EP. (i don't recommend the packages in between bloodline and mayor)

Posted By Rabble at

You can start out as anything you like. There are packages for all levels of game play so if you want to be an orphan who makes his/her own way, buy the starter package and go from there. Buy EP to get some basic starting items and explore the world to your heart's content 😉

EP can only be purchased by people who at least bought the bloodline package, which i recommend since getting into the game early seems worth it.

8/12/2017 6:48:52 PM #7

Posted By Steevo at 1:17 PM - Sat Aug 12 2017

well the bloodline package ($125) lets you get into the game 3 months early. If your not interested in that then there's nothing in the higher packages that would interest you since it all revolves around giving you stuff. now if you really just don't like the idea of starting as a mayor but dont mind the idea of starting with things like land and a house then that changes things. You can buy the mayor package and then drop the mayor title for EP. or just buy bloodline+EP. (i don't recommend the packages in between bloodline and mayor)

Posted By Rabble at

EP can only be purchased by people who at least bought the bloodline package, which i recommend since getting into the game early seems worth it.

Totally agree with you there. I don't have to manage a city, county, duchy, or kingdom. Just a good load of starting benefits. And, relatively early access.

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

8/12/2017 7:15:59 PM #8

I want to start out as a shopkeeper. I'm not at all interested in the gameplay of nobility, which is convenient since I don't have the budget for it anyway. I'll be looking to join a family that has a book/stationary store or at least some scribing skills. If there's not one in the area I plan to play, I'll start from scratch as a ward.

If you want to invest more into the game, you could get a Bloodline package and EP, you could buy extra sparks, you could buy copies of the game to give to friends, you could buy guild and/or villager tokens, or you could wait until soul packs are released, especially if you're interested in starting with a soul that has better skill ramps in a particular area.

Shieldwall Strong!

8/13/2017 7:26:36 AM #9

I have actually really struggled with this. I want to be a ward of the state, plain and simple. That's where my story lies. As such, I have been very hesitant to join any communities as that would lessen the burden of being a ward, which is counter to mt desired story.

OTOH-- I want to spend more money here. I want merch. I want plushies. I want all kinds of stuff, mostly because I have the ability to support SBS further and a desire to do so, as long as it doesn't inpact my story. Also, I would love to get into alpha, and the special forums, but I understand why my story prevents that..

kypiq

8/13/2017 8:00:25 AM #10

One of my alts will be starting as an orphan specifically for that gameplay.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/13/2017 8:25:07 AM #11

Posted By Chloet at 08:26 AM - Sun Aug 13 2017

Also, I would love to get into alpha, and the special forums, but I understand why my story prevents that..

I disagree with this part. Alpha and forums are nothing to do with your story. They have no effect on the game at launch or the stories you choose to tell. Yes, the higher tiers come with titles but you do not actually have to use them. You can convert them to EP and then choose not to spend it. Now you might think that sounds like a waste but in my personal opinion, the pre-launch access alone is worth the cost.

Personally, I keep toing and froing on what I want to do with the title I have. Currently, I think I might keep the title and use it on an alt so I have two stories running. However, that does mean I have to have enough spare time for two and I am not sure that will be the case when the game launches.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/13/2017 12:19:08 PM #12

Posted By Chloet at 5:26 PM - Sun Aug 13 2017

OTOH-- I want to spend more money here. I want merch. I want plushies. I want all kinds of stuff, mostly because I have the ability to support SBS further and a desire to do so, as long as it doesn't inpact my story. Also, I would love to get into alpha, and the special forums, but I understand why my story prevents that..

Exposition is the only thing that will really affect your long-term gameplay. Alpha/Beta are supposed to be the real deal - testing with wipes afterwards, not this Early Access stuff we see these days.

Keep in mind if you do buy a package, most come with additional souls. These souls are alts - they don't need to be tied in with your starting toon/family. You could potentially buy in at a certain level, gain access to Alpha/Beta to learn the gameplay, use Exposition to contribute to the world building, hand over your title at release, and start a new soul as an orphan. Just depends on how far you want to go with things.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/13/2017 1:15:35 PM #13

You have the option to give the title to someone else or trade it in for EP which you are not forced to use. You aren't forced to run a settlement or county just because you bought that level of package. Unfortunately, all forms of merchandise go towards giving the ability to help build the world. Physical media means that they have to design it, find a manufacturer, a way to ship, and possibly storage. I'd rather they use their resources to continue developing the game.

Take this CoE Character Census so that the community can see where people are planning to start and what tribes they want!

Friend Code: 4E637C

8/13/2017 8:20:44 PM #14

Being a count or a mayor or a king is all to much pressure for me, you know? I'd rather be an adventurer or a shop keep. I don't want to have to worry about making laws and keeping people happy or being assassinated.

My fiance and I were talking about both starting as wards of the state and then forming our own family to start with.

8/14/2017 6:08:33 AM #15

Posted By Steevo at 11:17 AM - Sat Aug 12 2017

Posted By Rabble at

You're right, I forgot that changed.... Guess he'll be dirt poor starting out then as an orphan 😖

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.