COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Biome/Nature Progress

As described by the wiki: there are 13 plants. 20 animals. 27 Biomes. It seems clear that there is a big chunk of the food chain to fill and large swathes of world to populate. - In screenshots and videos I've spotted what looks like 6 different species of tree (which is 6x more than the wiki has even an empty spot naming) and a similar increase in small shrubs and grasses variety.

Have the steps forward on this been understated/unpublished/overshadowed by more crowd appeal aspects of the game and engine?

Maybe my IRL profession as a Forester means I'm caring too much about the wrong thing, Idk.

Edit 1: I sneezed and hit submit before I was done writing. Welp....

I'm a forester. A man who takes trees that are all different and cuts them into boards that are all the same / Seeds that are all the same, and grows them into trees that are all different.

8/13/2017 12:08:48 AM #1

Pretty sure the wiki is out of date. I'm also fairly sure I saw the devs say they will be using some default assets for common plants and animals, so we'll likely see regular mice and wolves and foxes running around with the dryas elk and canis rabbits that have been created. For a world this size they can't realistically create everything from scratch.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

8/13/2017 2:17:58 AM #2

I think that, as development goes on, they'll be adding more and more finer details to the game along the way. They just need to focus on core mechanics first.

I would much rather have main gameplay aspects like combat and crafting smoothed out than have ten dozen different kinds of flowers. Wouldn't surprise me if they added more detail into the game world after the full release though.

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

8/13/2017 2:30:35 AM #3

Impressive that you have paid close attention to the details so far but as others have said, it's likely that they havnt delved into the more mundane animals yet and considering we havnt seen any video of biomes other than the basic grassland, that accounts for a lot of missing flora and fauna. Its likely that it simply hasnt been worked on yet.

8/13/2017 2:25:36 PM #4

@Desophyr

The economy of crafting is dependent on the finite natural resources available in the world. If all the math for making a house out of boards is decided before the math of making boards out of logs and logs out of trees than we may find either that "really really big trees drop a whole second log omg YES a second log!" or that "jeez, this sapling had 8 logs in it? I can't carry all that!"

Both of these are situations a bottom up (raw to finished) approach to resource values and abundance could level out.

@ImmaculateDeception

The way your name folds around makes it look like ImmaculateD Eception, though mine came out even worse :'/

Thank you for the compliment. After a long week of doing that (looking at plants) for a living underappreciated that felt really nice.

If there isn't even a concept or system for filling in the ecologic gaps, I have one I'm working on as a creative outlet. It might not be awesome, possibly too much for the game atm/ever - but I have one going.

I'm a forester. A man who takes trees that are all different and cuts them into boards that are all the same / Seeds that are all the same, and grows them into trees that are all different.

8/13/2017 6:12:10 PM #5

If you havn't made your way to the discord yet, perhaps you should. It is generally a good place to use as a sounding board for any ideas that you have which might prove beneficial for the game.