COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
I am about to get a package

So i am thinking of buying a founders pack and owning my own village/town as mayor/count. The laws in this town are going to be simple

1. No animal or fellow mann can be killed or harmed for any reason. Killers goes to jail! Assaulters get fined heavily (Rule 1 may or may not apply to insects) Killing rodents will carry a lesser punishment (but a harsh one).

2. No resident of this town can eat or drink any animal based product ie no meat cheese milk or eggs or honey! (They will be fined or jailed!)

3. Animal agriculture is strictly forbidden! (or you will be heavily fined or go to jail)

4. Merchants passing through my town with animal products must pay fees to pass through or else are not invited! (This law could have a compromise induced)

People of this town are super religious! So every 2 player days everyone must worship the faedin spirit of the lotus at a shrine in the town. Anyone who doesnt joon in the ceremony will be fined! That is all. So just in case i just wanted to get my idea for a wacky town out there.

My questions to the devs are: Will i be able to outlaw the consumption of certain products/foods in my town? Will i be able to outlaw the killing of certain creatures? Can i outlaw certain proffesions? Like animal agriculture as my example... or even blacksmithing? Thank you 😉

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

8/17/2017 4:14:04 AM #1

Im pretty sure I have seen the dev's talk about outlawing the crafting of certain items (and thus you could effectively outlaw a profession).
You could probably get away with most of this pretty easily in Kypiq town.
Note your Rule #1 would make it illegal for one to defend yourself from those breaking the same law, it would also make it practically imposable to catch someone who breaks it or other laws in your town.

8/17/2017 4:26:14 AM #2

Posted By Verdecus at

So i am thinking of buying a founders pack and owning my own village/town as mayor/count. The laws in this town are going to be simple

1. No animal or fellow mann can be killed or harmed for any reason. Killers goes to jail! Assaulters get fined heavily (Rule 1 may or may not apply to insects) Killing rodents will carry a lesser punishment (but a harsh one).

2. No resident of this town can eat or drink any animal based product ie no meat cheese milk or eggs or honey! (They will be fined or jailed!)

3. Animal agriculture is strictly forbidden! (or you will be heavily fined or go to jail)

4. Merchants passing through my town with animal products must pay fees to pass through or else are not invited! (This law could have a compromise induced)

People of this town are super religious! So every 2 player days everyone must worship the faedin spirit of the lotus at a shrine in the town. Anyone who doesnt joon in the ceremony will be fined! That is all. So just in case i just wanted to get my idea for a wacky town out there.

My questions to the devs are: Will i be able to outlaw the consumption of certain products/foods in my town? Will i be able to outlaw the killing of certain creatures? Can i outlaw certain proffesions? Like animal agriculture as my example... or even blacksmithing? Thank you 😉

Sadly you wouldn't be able to enforce any of those laws as most people in your town will be NPCs

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

8/17/2017 5:10:07 AM #3

Posted By Joreel at 9:26 PM - Wed Aug 16 2017

Posted By Verdecus at

Sadly you wouldn't be able to enforce any of those laws as most people in your town will be NPCs

That is even better! XD

8/17/2017 5:47:06 AM #4

one thing to keep in mind is that you can't put people in jail, as in you cant trap people. all you can really do is say something is against the law and then tell people to pay a fine if they break that law.

npc's obviously wont be able to understand weird made up laws, or be able to identify when a player breaks those laws.

8/17/2017 5:53:47 AM #5

While many of the players in the village will be NPCs, if they're Kypiq NPCs they already probably abide by similar rules. I think that as long as your settlement is in Kypiq lands you these kinds of rules are basically a given.

8/17/2017 6:14:17 AM #6

Why wouldn't most NPC obey 'weird' laws? Laws are basically implicit contracts and if the Soulborn engine knows when a clause has been broken then so too can NPC be made to understand them as a whole.

Obv some NPC will be deviants and just don't give a damn.

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23

8/17/2017 6:16:19 AM #7

Posted By protagonist at 11:14 PM - Wed Aug 16 2017

Why wouldn't most NPC obey 'weird' laws? Laws are basically implicit contracts and if the Soulborn engine knows when a clause has been broken then so too can NPC be made to understand them as a whole.

i completely agree. Implicit laws must be apploed to npcs too. if the npcs needs arent met through those laws they would just leave right?

8/17/2017 10:29:28 AM #8

The best thing to do is to find a kingdom that supports those laws and potentially will have the laws themselves because to enforce law and punishment you'll need a Courthouse, and a village isn't going to have one of those (the settlement needs to be larger than your planned pledge gives)

8/17/2017 10:50:30 AM #9

Posted By Steevo at 3:47 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

one thing to keep in mind is that you can't put people in jail, as in you cant trap people.

arh thats not 100% accurate... i randomly worked out how this could be done a while back. i did advise the devs as i did not wish them to miss it but heard nothing back..

so unless they fix that loop hole it can be done...

its not legal but ha no one said it had to be a legal method hahaha and no sorry i cant explain it on the forums but if you think on it long enough u can work it out i am sure.

but regarding the op yes kypiq seems fairly suited to what ur looking for and most of that would be covered. not sure as to how detailed you could make said by laws on food consumption but what you want to a extent could be done.

the part about taxing those coming thru your town would be interesting as no statement from SBS yet on Toll systems or such bit i think thats more of a thing you do by force of arms then by simple law.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

8/17/2017 11:51:48 AM #10

Only a handful of people can make laws, nobility and magistrates (mayors of a settlement with a courthouse).

other aristocrates can not make laws.

Then comes the enforcing part, as of today information at our disposal it will be a bit of the same, it will not be up to every body to enforce laws. Nobility will be able to as they make the laws, along that line it is only natural that magistrate will be able too, then barons, knights and sheriffs will also be able to enforce law.

Now even if laws are contracts (implicit ones), they are not the only ones and each party in a contract can enforce his part on the other party if they do not follow the contract be it explicit one or implicit.

So a mayor might not have the power or authority to enforce county's laws or to make his own settlement laws, but he'll have the authority to enforce city planning and settlement tax collection.

keep in mind that this part law enforcement is yet not totally explicit, what about settlement guards ? on who's authority will they act ? what set of laws are they entitled to enforce if any ? can any one that grab a bounty his empowered to enforce it or do you need some permits or title ?

8/17/2017 2:37:49 PM #11

I imagine a mayor's level of laws will be related to anything local, such zoning.

For example, lets assume a kingdom has a law restricting hunting in woods with certain types of trees. A mayor could set the zone for that. The mayor would have to make sure the woods are there otherwise they are breaking a contract, but essentially you are setting down a "no hunting" law for an area.

It's a bit of a guess work how that system would work, nothing like that is confirmed yet but i can't see the higher ups going around every little piece of land doing all the minor stuff. The layout of the land (settlements) will be down to Mayors

8/17/2017 2:39:39 PM #12

I wouldn't want to stop there or pass through, but I think it's a wonderful idea for the roleplaying elements. I may just end up having to wage war on your town out of anger for its people's ignorance to the delicacy that is fried kypiq toes. Those tender little nuggets are what fuel my every action.

8/17/2017 2:58:06 PM #13

Good to see an example of a bought title holder that'll be replaced in game lol

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~

8/17/2017 8:48:22 PM #14

Posted By protagonist at 01:14 AM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Think about it like this. You might say that on every sunday everyone needs to hop up and down while praying. you can fine players who don't follow this law but things willl be different for NPC's. They will probobly understand the concept of 'you have to pray' but the thing about hoping is something they probably wont be able to recognize.

i'm sure SBS will give us many options when it comes to making laws but freehand laws will only be applied to players since NPC's wouldn't understand/acknowledge them. We don't really know the full range of the kind of laws NPC's will understand.

8/17/2017 8:53:19 PM #15

Posted By Nagash at 03:29 AM - Thu Aug 17 2017

The best thing to do is to find a kingdom that supports those laws and potentially will have the laws themselves because to enforce law and punishment you'll need a Courthouse, and a village isn't going to have one of those (the settlement needs to be larger than your planned pledge gives)

hmmmm i am sure some kingdoms would welcome me in open arms i am sure of it.