COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
The Measure of a Waerd

With apologies to Bombastus, who initially started this on Discord, I present a possible standard system of measurement, in which all mention of "averages" refer to members of The Waerd.

Base Units

1. Length: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of length is equal to the height of an average dwelling tunnel, or approximately 2 m)
  2. Mass: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of mass is equal to 1/100 that of an average adult, or approximately 1 kg)
  3. Time: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of time is equal to silence between heartbeats of an average adult, or approximately 1 s)
  4. Temperature: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of temperature is equal to 1//100 the thermodynamic temperature difference between noontime desert and midnight cave dwelling, or approximately 1 C)
  5. Amount: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of number is equal to size of the average spy's information network, or approximately 1000)
  6. Luminous intensity: The Waerd (tW)
    (The unit of luminous intensity is equal to the ambient light required to reveal an average assassin, or approximately 10 candlepower)

Derived Units

Many derived units are possible, of course, which would be developed from the base units as needed. Some likely derived units include:

1. Volume: The Waerd³ (tW³)
    (The unit of volume is a cube of water a single The Waerd to a side, at midnight cave temperature)
  2. Speed: The Waerd/The Waerd (tW/tW)
    (The unit of velocity is the number of The Waerds traveled in 100 The Waerds)
  3. Density: The Waerd (tW/tW³)
    (The unit of mass density is 1/100 the mass in The Waerd of a cube with a volume of a single The Waerd)

Clearly, many if not all of the base units in The Measure of The Waerd will require periodic resurveying, as the average values may have shifted. One might expect that in a culture so wed to information, there may be guilds or institutes devoted to such pursuits.

How about you? Do you plan to establish a unique system of measure using measurable quantities from the world of Elyria, or will you try to import terrestrial units of measure into the game?

8/30/2017 5:46:17 AM #1

I wish I was smart enough to develop humorous conversations into logical systems...

KelvinRiley a.k.a. Xander Renécius

Citizen of Firaminé, Para Bellum, Ksana, and Riftwood.

8/30/2017 9:45:14 PM #2

Posted By KelvinRiley at 10:46 PM - Tue Aug 29 2017

I wish I was smart enough to develop humorous conversations into logical systems...

Well, I don't know about this being a "logical" system, but there's a certain security through obscurity that might be advantageous in protecting The Waerd drawings and plans from espionage?

8/31/2017 12:09:14 AM #3

This is at least three tW further than I would have taken this topic. Bravo.

8/31/2017 7:28:40 AM #4

You're missing one base unit, current... perhaps the 10x the current that it takes to electrocute the average Waerd? (approx. 1 ampere)

You could also add additional derived units, such as energy! For example, 1 joule would be about (900 · tW · tW²)/tW². I foresee this system of units being incredibly easy to use with no adverse side effects whatsoever! :D

(Also, I'm operating on the assumption that you meant to say one time-Waerd is about a minute... since a pulse of 6,000 bpm would be terrifying. xD)

8/31/2017 10:39:54 PM #5

Posted By Imshada at 12:28 AM - Thu Aug 31 2017

You're missing one base unit, current... perhaps the 10x the current that it takes to electrocute the average Waerd? (approx. 1 ampere)

You could also add additional derived units, such as energy! For example, 1 joule would be about (900 · tW · tW²)/tW². I foresee this system of units being incredibly easy to use with no adverse side effects whatsoever! :D

(Also, I'm operating on the assumption that you meant to say one time-Waerd is about a minute... since a pulse of 6,000 bpm would be terrifying. xD)

You know, I left out current because I assumed that the unit would not be included in The Measure of The Waerd until the discovery of electricity. Perhaps something is possible using static electricity, but the current would be very low. I'll think on it and try to round out the base units!

As far as time (tW), who can say what secrets the biology of these strange creatures might reveal? (But yeah... totally meant something reasonably approximating 1 second). ;-)

And yes, further derived units are limited only by imagination and scientific need! With such straightforward, rarely changing definitions as we have above, any well informed member of The Waerd is free to define new units whenever additional clarity (or obfuscation) is required.

1/29/2018 1:08:04 AM #6

It's been a few tW since we last discussed units of measurement. I'm to fault for that- I gained about a tW over the holidays, which has honestly sapped my energy a bit, but that hasn't slowed me down more than a tW or two!

How about you? With another tW or so of new CoE supporters joining each month, hopefully someone is surveying new members of The Waerd to see if our fundamental units have shifted in value!

1/29/2018 7:31:44 AM #7

The unit of mass seems wrong, nearly twice what it should be if the Waerd are on the smallish size.

The unit of temperature also seems wrong. It would make the desert boiling hot, literally, which is too high to sustain most terrestrial multicellular life. I think half that, 0.5 degrees C, is closer to the truth.

;-)

7/2/2018 6:24:08 PM #8

Posted By Poldano at 11:31 PM - Sun Jan 28 2018

The unit of mass seems wrong, nearly twice what it should be if the Waerd are on the smallish size.

The unit of temperature also seems wrong. It would make the desert boiling hot, literally, which is too high to sustain most terrestrial multicellular life. I think half that, 0.5 degrees C, is closer to the truth.

;-)

Some scholars believe that the heavy mineralization of the springs in Waerd lands result in heavier bones as well as a lower metabolism that allows them to survive in the hot desert.