COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Adverse Possession

I don't like to wake up sleeping dogs, but in my opinion this seems to be a loophole for a count to become rich:

"While at the table you can submit your own contract in place of any contract that existed for abandoned land. You’ll need to obtain a new contract from a scribe before-hand, but once doing so you can specify the purchase price, property tax, etc. Basically, whatever you want. The contract is between you and the Count, just like when someone normally buys the land, but because you're claiming the land through adverse possession, it means you set the terms of the contract."

A count has as requirement to be very active. And since every contract that involves housing and land goes through the count, wouldn't it be possible for a count to "Adverse Possess" abandoned land (for the lowest price possible) and place a contract on the "Land Management Table" with his own price? That way you never have to fight someone off that property because his/her price was just unfairly low, unless you don't want that person to have property (Believe me, some people should not buy land in your county for several reasons).

I see a potential to get rich sitting in my chair. All I have to do is check the land management table, and adverse all abandoned land myself.

Is that a loophole, or intended that way to accommodate a shrewd count? It also removes the possibility of being scammed by a shrewd negotiator. They just take it or leave it.

9/19/2017 10:11:52 AM #1

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at

I don't like to wake up sleeping dogs, but in my opinion this seems to be a loophole for a count to become rich:

"While at the table you can submit your own contract in place of any contract that existed for abandoned land. You’ll need to obtain a new contract from a scribe before-hand, but once doing so you can specify the purchase price, property tax, etc. Basically, whatever you want. The contract is between you and the Count, just like when someone normally buys the land, but because you're claiming the land through adverse possession, it means you set the terms of the contract."

A count has as requirement to be very active. And since every contract that involves housing and land goes through the count, wouldn't it be possible for a count to "Adverse Possess" abandoned land (for the lowest price possible) and place a contract on the "Land Management Table" with his own price? That way you never have to fight someone off that property because his/her price was just unfairly low, unless you don't want that person to have property (Believe me, some people should not buy land in your county for several reasons).

I see a potential to get rich sitting in my chair. All I have to do is check the land management table, and adverse all abandoned land myself.

Is that a loophole, or intended that way to accommodate a shrewd count? It also removes the possibility of being scammed by a shrewd negotiator. They just take it or leave it.

I imagine it works as intended, but would require you (as the count) to be on the ball.

Alt text - can be left blank

9/19/2017 10:28:27 AM #2

Posted By Esoba at 12:11 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at

I imagine it works as intended, but would require you (as the count) to be on the ball.

Yes, but it states in the rules that I can always deny someone else's clam. I will only accept my own claim. If he persists, I have soldiers to back me up. The duke gets half of my profit, and I get taxes when someone buys the land legit, according the county's rules (And I make that rule :P ).

9/19/2017 10:55:06 AM #3

I brought this topic up, because maybe someone else might come and force me to sell that land to him for 1 gold and no taxes, if he brings a large enough army.

I am kinda confused in this. What point is being a count in this case?

9/19/2017 11:22:54 AM #4

You don't even need to do that. Just sell every parcel in the county to yourself for free in day one and sidestep all that adverse possession stuff.

But then you will choke off the growth of your county unless you want to try and rent everything. So ultimately it will be a net negative.

9/19/2017 11:27:05 AM #5

Posted By Kaynadin at 1:22 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

You don't even need to do that. Just sell every parcel in the county to yourself for free in day one and sidestep all that adverse possession stuff.

But then you will choke off the growth of your county unless you want to try and rent everything. So ultimately it will be a net negative.

My aim is that particular spot. Any Adverse Possessor seems to be allowed to write his own contract for that piece of land, and than force it on me if he has enough friends to back him up.

It is my land, and I just don't want anybody come to live there for free. I'll possess it myself and than ask a reasonable price for it. Or maybe I want it to build a school there.

9/19/2017 11:48:16 AM #6

Ok I'm a bit confused what are you worrying about here, the fact that someone can write his own contract for adverse possession or that count can take that land for himself, so correct me if I will get something wrong:

I don't like to wake up sleeping dogs, but in my opinion this seems to be a loophole for a count to become rich

I don't see how you can become rich as a count by selling land to yourself, as mentioned before you can just grab all the land for free for yourself if that's your goal.

As a count you are already sitting in a chair and collecting taxes basically, without people to pay the tax you won't get anything.

9/19/2017 11:54:29 AM #7

Mh, I fail to see the problem.

Basically, a count owns all of his county's land anyways, just selling it to individuals to facilitate development. So it makes sense that abandoned parcels go back to the count or be given to someone of the count's choice at low/no cost.

And of course should a count be able to drive anyone from their lands, they're supposed to be in power and we're supposed to do their bidding, after all. How far you can get with screwing over your vassals repeatedly remains to be seen.

All in all, at least to me, it seems to be working as intended. Or am I missing something?

9/19/2017 11:55:05 AM #8

Posted By Abigor at 1:48 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

Ok I'm a bit confused what are you worrying about here, the fact that someone can write his own contract for adverse possession or that count can take that land for himself, so correct me if I will get something wrong:

I don't like to wake up sleeping dogs, but in my opinion this seems to be a loophole for a count to become rich

I don't see how you can become rich as a count by selling land to yourself, as mentioned before you can just grab all the land for free for yourself if that's your goal.

As a count you are already sitting in a chair and collecting taxes basically, without people to pay the tax you won't get anything.

I am confused too. Since the land is mine, I probably build there whatever I want and than sell it.

I just don't want any abandoned land on my property, without me being able to resell it with my own contract. I don't agree with anybody making his own contract. I will ask a reasonable price for it, but someone with a large amount guildies can place a contract there for 1 gold and than occupy it.

When I see abandoned land, I want to get rid of it as fast as possible. It is a liability, because I might not have a saying over the contract maybe?

I can reject it, but the description says that after 28 days he owns it, if his guildies manage to protect it long enough.

9/19/2017 12:15:11 PM #9

I don't agree with anybody making his own contract. I will ask a reasonable price for it, but someone with a large amount guildies can place a contract there for 1 gold and than occupy it.

Yes, but here's the thing, if someone comes and buys abandoned land for 1 gold he needs to build something on it and keep it safe for a month, and I doubt any count will ignore that, so people will most likely try to have a reasonable deal.

If you're afraid that several people will defend it - they should be well armed for that to stand against your forces, and this is not a problem of adverse possession at that point, but it's a problem of rogue forces trying to make a claim.

9/19/2017 12:23:59 PM #10

Posted By Abigor at 2:15 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

I don't agree with anybody making his own contract. I will ask a reasonable price for it, but someone with a large amount guildies can place a contract there for 1 gold and than occupy it.

Yes, but here's the thing, if someone comes and buys abandoned land for 1 gold he needs to build something on it and keep it safe for a month, and I doubt any count will ignore that, so people will most likely try to have a reasonable deal.

If you're afraid that several people will defend it - they should be well armed for that to stand against your forces, and this is not a problem of adverse possession at that point, but it's a problem of rogue forces trying to make a claim.

I can't let it slide either, because in time they may occupy the whole city and remove the mayor of that town. Than again, I'll send them a polite letter that they are there illegally, since I rejected their contract in time. Than I'll ask my Duke to keep the pressure on with soldiers. It will be a nice exercise for them. There should be a non-valiant way to remove squatters, because that is what they are. Maybe I'll tell everybody in the town not to sell food to them.

I'll hire mercenaries as well. My honor is at stake :P

9/19/2017 12:35:47 PM #11

I do see the potential for the Counts to become very large land owners. However as a Duke I would still want taxes to be paid from someone, so if the Count held the land and no taxes were being paid for that land, I think we would have to have a talk.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

9/19/2017 12:44:30 PM #12

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 06:27 AM - Tue Sep 19 2017

Posted By Kaynadin at 1:22 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

My aim is that particular spot. Any Adverse Possessor seems to be allowed to write his own contract for that piece of land, and than force it on me if he has enough friends to back him up.

It is my land, and I just don't want anybody come to live there for free. I'll possess it myself and than ask a reasonable price for it. Or maybe I want it to build a school there.

The only way land is adversely possessed is if it was purchased previously and then abandoned. At that point yes, the new owner sets the terms. If that person has more military might than the count, the count should probably lose their title anyway.

9/19/2017 12:44:32 PM #13

Posted By Sullen at 2:35 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

I do see the potential for the Counts to become very large land owners. However as a Duke I would still want taxes to be paid from someone, so if the Count held the land and no taxes were being paid for that land, I think we would have to have a talk.

I only possess that land to sell it. My Duke gets 50% of the profit, while I do all the work :)

Posted By Kaynadin at 2:44 PM - Tue Sep 19 2017

The only way land is adversely possessed is if it was purchased previously and then abandoned. At that point yes, the new owner sets the terms. If that person has more military might than the count, the count should probably lose their title anyway.

When a Duke doesn't protect me, I'll be happy to leave it all behind and become a hobo. The Duke is in charge of protecting the land.

9/19/2017 12:51:41 PM #14

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 07:23 AM - Tue Sep 19 2017

I can't let it slide either, because in time they may occupy the whole city and remove the mayor of that town. Than again, I'll send them a polite letter that they are there illegally, since I rejected their contract in time. Than I'll ask my Duke to keep the pressure on with soldiers. It will be a nice exercise for them. There should be a non-valiant way to remove squatters, because that is what they are. Maybe I'll tell everybody in the town not to sell food to them.

If a city has land in it that has not been visited by the owners or renters for 28 days that town is dead anyway.

9/19/2017 12:55:53 PM #15

Posted By Kaynadin at 08:51 AM - Tue Sep 19 2017

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 07:23 AM - Tue Sep 19 2017

If a city has land in it that has not been visited by the owners or renters for 28 days that town is dead anyway.

Not necessarily true. People stop playing games for all sorts of reasons, and may even stop playing while they owned great land in even the most vibrant town/city.

Alt text - can be left blank