COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Calendar

I would like to see a calendar in the game, so we can see when the seasons start and end. Farmers would like that, and it might be interesting for adventurers in the wild also.

Personally to me it's more for roleplaying purposes.

1: Plan holidays or days of mourning.

2: One day off, for the shops, so NPCs can have some quality time with the family.

3: Plan stuff like military exercises.

4: Religious Holidays.

5: Remember certain events like the death of someone in a high position.

6: Remember the date you was married or born.

In general so we know what day it is, and not every day is just a number. An ingame timer, so when I log on, I know what day it is in Elyria with an alarm for certain events like harvest day or tax collector day.

This looks like something important, so everybody in the County, Duchy, Kingdom knows if it's a holiday or some sort.

It connects you to everybody in the area, county. You all have something in common, even the NPC's.

9/23/2017 4:29:54 PM #1

I would love to see that as well thought each tribe or each kingdom may have some different holidays. I would also love to see a current almanac for planting crops and weather patterns at launch instead of having to wait a few years for a player to create one.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

9/23/2017 7:49:45 PM #2

I think also celebrating Kingdom day, the day the kingdom was founded, would be fun. Also Elyeria Day, the day the game was launched, but make it more integrated into the culture of the game instead of like other game birthdays that just happen,

9/23/2017 10:14:57 PM #3

A calendar of in-game days would be tough since an entire season passes so quickly, no? Or would it be a OOC calendar that everyone just uses?

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

9/24/2017 10:41:05 AM #4

Posted By Antelino at 12:14 AM - Sun Sep 24 2017

A calendar of in-game days would be tough since an entire season passes so quickly, no? Or would it be a OOC calendar that everyone just uses?

Ingame ofcourse. A religious day doesn't have to happen every 7 days. It can be every month or every year.

You still want to know how many days/hours before the season ends, so you don't sow your crops a day before winter and see all your seeds freeze to death.

9/24/2017 11:19:46 AM #5

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 1:41 PM - Sun Sep 24 2017

Ingame ofcourse. A religious day doesn't have to happen every 7 days. It can be every month or every year.

You still want to know how many days/hours before the season ends, so you don't sow your crops a day before winter and see all your seeds freeze to death.

Well, as mentioned, 1 Elyrian year is 1 rl week, so it's hard to pinpoint a single day in Elyria, it will basically mean you have 2-3h window to celebrate/organize stuff that you want.

Another issue is that seasons are not set to be 2 or 4 days all the time, they can be from 2 to 8 days, and in order to know how long will current season last (or when next one starts) you will need astronomers for that.

Not saying calendars should not exist, I bet they will exist to keep track of years, but a lot of stuff will be based on rl days, and in terms of seasons, a calendar can be written for current week depending on how much astronomers will be able to predict seasons (ex. summer will last for next 3days and 12h, or it will last anywhere between 20h-36h)

9/24/2017 11:45:03 AM #6

Posted By Abigor at 1:19 PM - Sun Sep 24 2017

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 1:41 PM - Sun Sep 24 2017

Well, as mentioned, 1 Elyrian year is 1 rl week, so it's hard to pinpoint a single day in Elyria, it will basically mean you have 2-3h window to celebrate/organize stuff that you want.

Another issue is that seasons are not set to be 2 or 4 days all the time, they can be from 2 to 8 days, and in order to know how long will current season last (or when next one starts) you will need astronomers for that.

Not saying calendars should not exist, I bet they will exist to keep track of years, but a lot of stuff will be based on rl days, and in terms of seasons, a calendar can be written for current week depending on how much astronomers will be able to predict seasons (ex. summer will last for next 3days and 12h, or it will last anywhere between 20h-36h)

Still for roleplaying, and for the NPCs in particular, they should have some sort of a calendar. I bet they all know about the seasons, but still there should be a visible calendar. All NPCs should have a way to know when the former king died. They are not a part of the actual story we create, if they have no way of remembering their history and celebrate good and bad times. When a war happens many NPCs will join the fight, and they should remember when it started and ended and who they have lost in the fight. Without a written time-frame, they have actually no way of knowing if anybody did came back from that war or if they ever will.

A calendar is basically used to keep events in remembering and celebrate. And I like to celebrate events together with them, on the same calendar.

9/24/2017 3:17:34 PM #7

In the early days man did not have calendars, we had to come up with them, but considering the point in time in which the game will start I assume there will be calendars in the game, but I am not sure.

Running the Elyrian PC Assistance Program! (https://discord.gg/4UepZJZ)

9/24/2017 4:25:44 PM #8

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 9:45 PM - Sun Sep 24 2017

Without a written time-frame, they have actually no way of knowing if anybody did came back from that war or if they ever will.

I have seen a few groups around who basically want to record everything that happens. Which to me is much more cooler, over just having in game background whatever picking it all up and displaying it for all to see.

I could see the point to a calendar, more so when seasons come into it. I do wonder if the game will even let us know how long season do go for or if we just have to learn to pick up when it's ending/starting.

To me a lot of what you said in the OP seems like hand holding. Which isn't automatically a bad thing. Getting some reminders for anything important would be handy. Anything else, really just reminds me of the WoW calendar. Which for me at least was mostly filled with spammy crap I really didn't care for. Which from that, unless I was wondering when some pvp holiday was happening. I just ignored it.

Would also cancel out some professions, like courtiers if they could just throw it up on the calendar for whoever to see. Over having them run out to each town. Of course they could just tell whoever over discord as well. Seems like these things would remove any RP from happening, not help it.

9/24/2017 7:05:47 PM #9

Posted By Gunnlang at 9/24/2017 4:25:44 PM

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 9:45 PM - Sun Sep 24 2017

Without a written time-frame, they have actually no way of knowing if anybody did came back from that war or if they ever will.

I have seen a few groups around who basically want to record everything that happens. Which to me is much more cooler, over just having in game background whatever picking it all up and displaying it for all to see.

I could see the point to a calendar, more so when seasons come into it. I do wonder if the game will even let us know how long season do go for or if we just have to learn to pick up when it's ending/starting.

To me a lot of what you said in the OP seems like hand holding. Which isn't automatically a bad thing. Getting some reminders for anything important would be handy. Anything else, really just reminds me of the WoW calendar. Which for me at least was mostly filled with spammy crap I really didn't care for. Which from that, unless I was wondering when some pvp holiday was happening. I just ignored it.

Would also cancel out some professions, like courtiers if they could just throw it up on the calendar for whoever to see. Over having them run out to each town. Of course they could just tell whoever over discord as well. Seems like these things would remove any RP from happening, not help it.

It is not more holding hand than a religion. I think an ingame calendar, which keeps track on events, could give more depth to the game and the story.

9/24/2017 7:15:01 PM #10

So what your saying is we should extend an in game year to a a real two week period... Im all for this lol

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

9/25/2017 3:48:32 AM #11

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 05:05 AM - Mon Sep 25 2017

It is not more holding hand than a religion. I think an ingame calendar, which keeps track on events, could give more depth to the game and the story.

What? I'm missing what you are meaning there.

Maybe it would add more depth. But people can just put posters around towns saying whenever something is happening. Adding more to the world, even a simple poster seems better to me. Which still means someone has to make the poster and put it up. Filling the world out, not just everything magically appearing for groups or everyone on some calendar.

I would rather some newspaper being put out monthly (RL time) telling everyone anything important. A global calendar, be that for kingdom/duchy etc just seems a more lazy way to me. Within that, I wouldn't mind if SBS had control over what appeared there. So seeing when seasons were ending/starting would be helpful.

9/26/2017 7:25:56 AM #12

Posted By Gunnlang at 05:48 AM - Mon Sep 25 2017

I would rather some newspaper being put out monthly (RL time) telling everyone anything important. A global calendar, be that for kingdom/duchy etc just seems a more lazy way to me. Within that, I wouldn't mind if SBS had control over what appeared there. So seeing when seasons were ending/starting would be helpful.

A newspaper is actually a good idea :)

9/26/2017 10:08:25 AM #13

Yes a newspaper would be nice and easy to do. The calendar as well i would love it but ....yes 1 year 1 week would make very difficult to organize anything.

10/26/2017 8:07:09 PM #14

It would be interesting

I 'm sooooo hyped for this game! :)

10/31/2017 9:43:15 PM #15

You will see a calendar at some point. :) I mean, as was already pointed out, the world exists in a state of technology and knowledge that includes a volume of written history. Dating events is a problem Elyrians have already had to solve. Plus, you know, I have a version of one on my screen, right now. ;)

But, as was mentioned, the duration of seasons can be a variable, so it might not be as useful to a farmer as an almanac that documents the seasonal variability across several years in the hopes of discerning patterns that can be used to predict future growing seasons.

• Snipehunter