COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
State of Vampires and Liches?

Heard discussion in the CoE Discord in voice chat that vampires and liches at this point of development have become synonymous. Haven't been able to find record of this. Can anyone help? Thank you! Link much appreciated.

10/5/2017 3:23:36 AM #1

Vampire and Liches will not exist at the release but they are bot different species.

11/3/2017 4:54:45 PM #2

Hi everyone !!

With Halloween and the Queen's Gaze's additional lore, I was just thinking about facing such creatures in a game like CoE and just found about this topic.

So I'm perfectly fine with Elyria being a low-fantasy world (with close to no magical powers and a relatively realistic approach) and I'm well aware that vampires, werewolf, liches aren't really something to consider at this stage of the game, but still I think it would be great to find those (and even be able to turn into such beasts) while playing.

First and foremost, my personal opinion on the matter is that becoming a vampire or else should be something very rare and that you must considered twice.

Such a change should impact heavily the way you are playing considering all the advantages you gain - extra strength/agility, unique abilities and features, extended "life" time... - and the very nature of those alterations (it's supposed to be a curse after all). It could even means that, by willingly gaining a vampiric or ghostly state, you're choosing to go into an HC mode (in which case you'll loose the soul for good once you're permadead).

Of course survival mechanics would be specific to them, like vampires needing sources for blood (either menn or animals) in order to feed themselves. The same for liches seeking preys to drain their life expectancy in order to maintain their own. Both fearing the sun as a deadly foe - literally !

Integrating such creatures into the game would allowed extended possibilities in terms of gameplay and roleplay mechanics. Think of this friend of your paying way too much attention to the lunar calendar since his last travels through the wild. Or this vitorian priest hiding in his church by daylight under the mask of devotion.

I can't but just be thrilled about all the IG outcomes those could bring to a world like Elyria, especially as an "endgame" content ^^

11/3/2017 5:38:23 PM #3

Posted By Sadj at 11:54 AM - Fri Nov 03 2017

Of course survival mechanics would be specific to them, like vampires needing sources for blood (either menn or animals) in order to feed themselves. The same for liches seeking preys to drain their life expectancy in order to maintain their own. Both fearing the sun as a deadly foe - literally !

I cant find the source I wanted to reference with, but I've read/heard someone stating that it would be 'spirit' that vampires would be feeding off of for sustenance. In turn decreasing the victims own lifespan, as well as potentially turning them into a vampire themselves in the process.

Now whether the in game animations that would signify their taking of your 'spirit' would look more akin to the 'biting' of the neck. I couldn't say.

However I'd guess they could implement that sort of action for the pure aesthetic purposes. Getting the point across in that fashion all the same.

As for Liches, and their dietary needs. Dont think I've heard/read anything on the matter.

11/3/2017 6:35:10 PM #4

Vamipres? Liches? There are no such things.

If there were, and I'm saying there isn't, they would different.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

11/3/2017 10:47:54 PM #5

Posted By Lofi at 2:35 PM - Fri Nov 03 2017

Vamipres? Liches? There are no such things.

If there were, and I'm saying there isn't, they would different.

So sorry for you, we do exist. The Wiki outlines what's known so far. We will take spirit as sustenance and stronger vampires can change others into our kin. chroniclesofelyria. gamepedia. com/Vampire

~Queen of the Underdark~

11/4/2017 1:35:47 AM #6

Yeah that's awesome !

I'd rather stick to blood tho (at least for vampires) cuz you know, it's always about blood when it comes to dark magic ^^ Plus it would fit with the dance of dynasty's symbolism about the quality of one's line of blood (blue-blood, commoner, wards...) but in the end that doesn't really matter (vampires staying parasites in both case).

I wonder if the secrecy surrounding such parallel societies within the cities of menn would lead vampires communities to create their own arts, language and ways to communicate without being notice by other players/npcs (glyph, fashion details or ornaments...).

11/7/2017 9:57:02 PM #7

A coven of vampires under contract to protect the king as his night watchmen. That would make an assassin think twice. Lol.

11/20/2017 3:59:05 PM #8

WillvVampires havehieightened senses or special abilities?

11/20/2017 4:27:28 PM #9

Posted By Rintaku at 09:59 AM - Mon Nov 20 2017

Nobody really knows anything about either vampires or liches. Everything is speculation at this point, even their existence in the game, unless someone has an SBS dev on record as saying they exist.

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him.

11/20/2017 4:54:58 PM #10

If Vampires do end up existing I totally and completely wouldn't build a secret hideout for one and let them feed off me and have multiple Dhampyr children with them*Cough

11/23/2017 3:45:15 AM #11

Okay so lets say Vampires and Liches exist can Liches give people the vampire or werewolf curse

11/23/2017 5:07:22 AM #12

Posted By Sivash_Evenwood at 10:27 AM - Mon Nov 20 2017

Posted By Rintaku at 09:59 AM - Mon Nov 20 2017

Nobody really knows anything about either vampires or liches. Everything is speculation at this point, even their existence in the game, unless someone has an SBS dev on record as saying they exist.

We have pretty hard info about where to find the info and tidbits about how to become a lich, but that's about it.

11/23/2017 5:07:38 AM #13

Posted By Rintaku at 9:45 PM - Wed Nov 22 2017

Okay so lets say Vampires and Liches exist can Liches give people the vampire or werewolf curse

doubt it

11/23/2017 5:12:46 AM #14

werewolf is a talent, a shape shifting ability. vampirism can be spread. liches can teach others how to become a lich themselves, but there should be a reason for them to do it.

I had an interessting thing come to my mind, when Caspian talked about raid bosses in DJ #15: if you manage to defeat a lich, why kill it? why not do as the east india company did in Pirates of the Caribbean? Enslave the lich: force him to work for you while you hold its soul as hostage. And if it does anything against you, destroy it.

You could so much with this. Imagine the terror in your enemies hearts when they learn you command an immortal sourcerer that is 300 years old and does your every bidding. the kill will surrender, story will happen and you are going to have the time of your life...as does the lich.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/23/2017 6:05:38 AM #15

Posted By Galliad at 11:12 PM - Wed Nov 22 2017

werewolf is a talent, a shape shifting ability. vampirism can be spread. liches can teach others how to become a lich themselves, but there should be a reason for them to do it.

I had an interessting thing come to my mind, when Caspian talked about raid bosses in DJ #15: if you manage to defeat a lich, why kill it? why not do as the east india company did in Pirates of the Caribbean? Enslave the lich: force him to work for you while you hold its soul as hostage. And if it does anything against you, destroy it.

You could so much with this. Imagine the terror in your enemies hearts when they learn you command an immortal sourcerer that is 300 years old and does your every bidding. the kill will surrender, story will happen and you are going to have the time of your life...as does the lich.

Here's a more realistic problem along the same lines: what's stopping a lich from spreading the info on how to become one to their community? What's stopping a lich from being anything other than "irredeemably evil"?

There has to be some major detrimental effects to having a lich even exist. Though everything might be balanced out by the whole "one lich can be born every year" bit.