COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
About self-defense and wildlife.

Hello,

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about CoE (don't judge me) and I wondered about two things :

First, let's say you're a commoner, let's say you're poor and let's say you don't have any weapons or armor with you / in your house (because you're not interested in fighting). This leaves you vulnerable if you can't afford bodyguards and someone decides to attack you.

That's when I thought about Vindictus Online. This game had destructible environment as well as environmental weapons. You could grab the closest boulder, pot, metal scrap, plank, even pumpkins and vegetables ! These improvised weapons had little durability and caused little damage, but were very good at knocking down / stunning enemies for a few seconds.

This would allow players to escape their assailant in any context. You're having a drink at the local tavern ? Grab your tankard and throw it in their face. You're taking care of your crops ? Get your pitchfork or shovel and be ready.

To my second concern now.

Most recent MMOs have what we call "grinding spots", areas with a high concentration of mobs to gain xp. I know CoE is not being developped in that direction, but I really hope wildlife will be scarce enough that we'll have to hunt (and track) our preys or be very unlucky and bump into a group of bandits / a pack of starved wolves / horrible creatures nobody knows about.

Not saying all encounters in the wild should be "negative" though. We could find lone explorers like us, people who got attacked and left for dead, mystical creatures that live in the woods... I think Skyrim did that pretty well though there was room for improvement. Which is why we have CoE, right ?

Let me know what you think about those ideas.

11/18/2017 3:35:20 PM #1

I like the idea.

Based on everything I've heard, I dont think there will be mob 'spawning'. Similar to the way the players breed and die, I think all fauna will breed and die. So even if they give extra xp, grinding in one spot would quickly lead to the eradication of an animal population. What I am concernes about it the Minecraft style grinding where people breed large amounts of animals in captivity for the sole purpose of slaughtering them for XP.

And yea, Skyrim had a good amount of NPCs that were set roaming the wilds. But based on the Q&A answers about AI and their hierarchy of needs, whether or not you'll find NPCs in the wilds depends heavily on how comfortable they are in towns. You might find NPCs on roads tho - maybe being ambushed by others

11/18/2017 3:54:06 PM #2

Improvised weapons are confirmed if I remember correctly, and animals are supposed to behave like animals and not bloodthirsty monsters.

11/18/2017 6:34:18 PM #3

Posted By Spinam at 10:35 AM - Sat Nov 18 2017

I like the idea.

Based on everything I've heard, I dont think there will be mob 'spawning'. Similar to the way the players breed and die, I think all fauna will breed and die. So even if they give extra xp, grinding in one spot would quickly lead to the eradication of an animal population. What I am concernes about it the Minecraft style grinding where people breed large amounts of animals in captivity for the sole purpose of slaughtering them for XP.

Hahaha, give XP, you say? I've gotta ask, what is the 'XP' you speak of?

11/18/2017 6:38:25 PM #4

I really like the idea of animals not behaving like bloodthirsty monsters.

Predators hunting prey, and prey moving in herds to find good grazing grounds and everything in between just seems like a much more fitting way of doing it for CoE. A real virtual ecology!

I'm excited to see how it works, and whether or not the players will trash Elyria like humans trash earth lol.

11/18/2017 8:19:22 PM #5

Posted By hiouhb at 1:34 PM - Sat Nov 18 2017

Posted By Spinam at 10:35 AM - Sat Nov 18 2017

I like the idea.

Hahaha, give XP, you say? I've gotta ask, what is the 'XP' you speak of?

Skill leveling? There is progression in this game, right?

11/18/2017 8:22:16 PM #6

Posted By Spinam at 3:19 PM - Sat Nov 18 2017

It's not so simple, not as far as I remember. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in such a way that you do a task, gain XP, level up, and unlock new skills. Skill progression is very different for CoE.

2/13/2018 7:12:05 AM #7

Posted By hiouhb at 12:22 PM - Sat Nov 18 2017

Posted By Spinam at 3:19 PM - Sat Nov 18 2017

It's not so simple, not as far as I remember. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in such a way that you do a task, gain XP, level up, and unlock new skills. Skill progression is very different for CoE.

I think this guy is right. I don't believe that the amount of XP you get in this game is going to be because you bred and killed animals or because you swing your sword and hit things like skyrim.

"Change, or know your fate.." - Elijah Sozo

2/13/2018 9:29:52 AM #8

Skills will generally improve with practice. In crafting, you can customize your improvement toward speed of production or toward difficulty of production. I don't exactly know how improvement of combat skill will happen, but I expect that not all of it need be a result of actual combat.

There will be some nasty animals. Some of them have already been shown. Check out canis rabbits and pteroguins, for a couple of examples.

2/13/2018 11:10:21 AM #9

As it will be possibel to pick up most items, I hope they also can be thrown and have some impact as means of defence. It would be kind of natural to just grap what is availlabel to try and save your skin.

3/17/2018 3:24:05 PM #10

Even if you dont choose a fighter's career , I dont think you should be vulnarble to an attack any minute.. Even at medieval times there was basic law and order and people werent usually jumped without reasonable provocation..

When you want to shoot, shoot dont talk!