COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Improbabilty of soul mates

I am still listening to old Q&As and I just got to the part where Caspian explains soul mates a little more. But I have a concern: Since every soul has a Soulmate and every Player has 3 souls to choose, the odds of your soul mate even beeing in the game is about 33%. If you consider that some players will not play the game after their first life, that number goes further down. sure some players will play more than one character. but my role play experience has shown me that playing 2 characters is manageable but 3 is almost impossible, if you are not willing to dedicate your entire life to the game, and I mean 14h plus per day. So your chance of meeting your soul mate is pretty low, but the chance your soul mate is even in the game is far too low.

Solution: Could you reassign soul mates like you do talents? Souls that get played get matched with random souls that get played as well? Maybe this design is intentional but it would be heartbreaking if I was searching my soul mate and the odds of him or her even existing are 1/3.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/26/2017 4:10:56 PM #1

I agree with you and hope they do change it. With the flood of people that come in at launch, plus with people that try/have alts for many different reasons. There is a pretty high chance to have your soulmate locked to someone who plays then drops the game. While screwing you. Though I get if it changed every lifetime, wouldn't be soulmates at that rate. But I can't really see many people being lucky enough to find their soulmates. Knowing they could be a few kingdoms apart. Seemed even rarer than getting a talent.

11/26/2017 7:57:12 PM #2

My view is that finding a Soulmate will be about the same percentage as finding a talent. With a Soulmate being any playable soul (could it also be a secondary character that doesn't play that much), a opposite/tribes at war, or a tribe on the other side of the world, I feel it would be hard to track them down unless you happen upon them by accident.

Perhaps they can reduce the radius of the Soulmate placement to be closer to home. But finding a Soulmate will be a special task and like a talent should not be made too easy.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

11/26/2017 8:57:27 PM #3

I believe Caspian also said that soul mates are able to permadeath each other when they coup de grâce the other person. If they made them more common, better chance of loosing your char faster.

11/26/2017 9:55:39 PM #4

Posted By Equinoxium at 11/26/2017 8:57:27 PM

I believe Caspian also said that soul mates are able to permadeath each other when they coup de grâce the other person. If they made them more common, better chance of loosing your char faster.

I think that's another extremely similar system called a nemesis or something of the like.

But regardless- it's fine that soulmates will be hard to find, because they shouldn't be common.

11/26/2017 10:27:41 PM #5

Posted By Scheneighnay at 4:55 PM - Sun Nov 26 2017

Posted By Equinoxium at 11/26/2017 8:57:27 PM

I think that's another extremely similar system called a nemesis or something of the like.

But regardless- it's fine that soulmates will be hard to find, because they shouldn't be common.

If you and your soulmate are of opposite alignment, you will be nemeses. If you are of the same alignment, you will have advantages if you are near each other.

Shieldwall Strong!

11/26/2017 11:18:27 PM #6

point I try to make is: its garenteed you have a soulmate, but the chances of him even existing in the world, are fairly low. I mean it is not like having a talent. your chances of ever having a talent are low. but you will have a soulmate, no questions asked.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

12/12/2017 1:27:41 PM #7

Really happy someone is talking about Soul Mates. I love this feature.

Based on what I've read, it seems very likely that it only includes sparked souls, but I guess at that point you're locked in and if your soul mate quits you're #foreveralone which is extremely depressing. Especially considering I want to experience it.

And yeah the parts you mentioned are also worrying. Even if you find them, all that might be left WHILE you're there is an OPC. And if they are using multiple souls then your odds of having a proper interaction drop even more.

At least, concerns aside, when and if the stars align, it will be fairly amazing.

12/12/2017 3:53:44 PM #8

The matching soul never being sparked, traded in, or otherwise abandoned concerns me about the system as well...

Personally I agree with the notion that a match should be rolled to match an active soul on the same server when a soul is sparked rather than locked in at soul creation. Among the thousands of players in a massive world it will still make any such encounter extremely rare.

With the distribution method they have expressed so far it seems more likely to win the lottery than to encounter a soulmate. I don't expect soulmate encounters to be as "common" as a talent, but the feature deserves a reasonable chance of happening in each life cycle during the planned 10 year story. So I hope they will address these issues and run some tests to get an idea of the probability.

12/30/2017 1:40:34 PM #9

It would make sense if it was only sparked souls that counted.

Eyyy

1/14/2018 7:58:06 PM #10

I like the idea of a soulmate being almost too rare. There are some cool benefits to having your soulmate nearby, but having it be so difficult to find gives it a sort of mythical/child bedtime story sort of feel, like magic. This makes it even more special when(if) you actually do find your soulmate. My only problem isn't necessarily if you soulmate is never even in the world, it is if your soulmate is played by a crappy player. You finally find your soulmate just to find out they are a horrible person to be around. :P

Kingdom of Ashland

1/15/2018 8:31:47 AM #11

I thought meeting your soulmate ingame (and in RL) was a special and rare thing that not all characters will experience.

1/15/2018 9:50:50 AM #12

I love the idea of Soulmates in a game.

My hope is that there is a skill or potion or something that you can do to make it easier to track and find this person. I don't want it to be too easy, but I would like a chance in the 10 year span of the game to be able to find one. ^.^

1/15/2018 10:27:57 AM #13

Unless they have a method to put the Soulmates in some kind of geographical proximity the chances of meeting will be astronomically low. If a server has 100K people in it and you were to meet 100 new people every day it would take on average 500 days to find your soulmate which is longer then your characters maximum lifespan.

If every single player were randomly meeting 100 new people per day their would only be 100 pairings found per day.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

2/6/2018 5:51:51 AM #14

I'm sure someone will make a search engine or some sort of program to make it as simple as entering your character name, it always happens with these sort of things

2/8/2018 1:32:29 AM #15

They are trying to make the game more lifelike. The chances of finding a soul mate are slim as is. Just makes it so you will get out there and meet new people instead of playing with people you know if you want to find yours. I know with my first character I plan on building up whatever community I decide to join so people can always come by and see if we "spark" lol

Angelica Server (NA- W) Friend Code: 352AE0