COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Can soul affinity be chosen?

I read in the DJ about souls how that in the Soul Chamber (character creation) you'll be able to see the soul's affinity - which means their predisposition toward doing acts of good or evil. The visual indicator will be light for a good character and dark for an evil one. The DJ said the story engine would look at affinity and make choices for the types of tasks and quests the soul will be given and that it will be really hard to go against the affinity due to the number of negative consequences.

What I'm wondering is, can we CHOOSE the soul affinity in the soul chamber, or are we stuck with whatever affinity the souls from our package were randomly generated with? I'd hate for anyone - myself included - to be stuck with an evil character when what I want is to play a good character (or vice-versa).

I'm also curious if a person wants to play a 'grey' character - in essence, a person with a relatively even split between good and evil affinity - is that going to be possible?

Dras healer in service to Kingdom of Bordweall (NA-E) || Duchy of Bloodbole

12/9/2017 7:10:13 PM #1

I know I have heard that depending upon you package choice you will have a choice between a collection of souls with various affinities at startup that you can choose from. Kings and the like will have more available souls to choose from to get the one they like best while the lower tiers have fewer.

In the past when I heard souls affinities described though I never heard of it relating to the soul being particularly good or evil though, I had heard the affinity was toward certain tasks and that the affinity would increase from lifetime to lifetime as the soul was passed on and reborn, allowing people to master a craft or profession to greater and greater heights as they followed their families generational path. If a tendency toward good or evil is linked to soul affinity that would be interesting, and ultimately I think a tad limiting since players choices would almost be preset and the game want to push for a heavy free-choice feel. The details of how the engine will run are still largely shrouded in mystery.

12/9/2017 7:32:02 PM #2

Well, if the starting souls aren't all neutral in affinity, then I hope they at least make sure the three starting ones are balanced between a good, neutral, and evil one. However, varying affinities for the starting souls will limit soul options for some. Though I probably end up buying a bardic soul pack or something myself, that's really not an option for everyone, so I feel the basic starting souls should be made as flexible as possible.

Posted By Abool at 8:10 PM - Sat Dec 09 2017

In the past when I heard souls affinities described though I never heard of it relating to the soul being particularly good or evil though, I had heard the affinity was toward certain tasks and that the affinity would increase from lifetime to lifetime as the soul was passed on and reborn, allowing people to master a craft or profession to greater and greater heights as they followed their families generational path.

I believe you're confusing affinity with skill ramps here.

12/9/2017 7:32:08 PM #3

@Abool: This is from the 2nd Design Journal, WA-A-A-YYY back in 2015:

<A soul’s affinity is its tendency towards light or dark and is visible within the Soul Chamber. A soul is first created with a neutral affinity but it will not remain that way for long. Player actions leave a mark on the soul, blessing or tainting it. As a result, souls gradually develop an affinity one way or the other.

Your soul’s affinity is respected by the destiny system and the dynamic story engine. Conflicts and story arcs will initially be presented with no indication of the preferred outcome. It will be up to you to determine the best way to resolve the conflict. As your soul lightens or darkens, the story engine will learn from what you’ve done and act in accordance with your chosen affinity. While you might have once been asked to just talk to a player, you may later be asked to pick someone’s pocket, and then eventually to maim or kill someone.

Be warned, affinity is a slippery slope. Once you move to the light or dark it becomes more and more difficult to resist. While not impossible, the Soulborn Engine will be giving you tasks and objectives which it believes best suits your nature. Doing the opposite will mean failure and there will be consequences for your action.>

I guess this answers my original question though - the soul will start out with neutral affinity, then our actions after that will push it one way or the other.

Dras healer in service to Kingdom of Bordweall (NA-E) || Duchy of Bloodbole

12/18/2017 4:33:31 AM #4

With that being said, is there word on whether your affinity is passed down through the generations? Should your character develop a darker affinity will it taint your family line?

On the one hand, I like the idea of it being passed down. Hopefully it would lead to your children having a higher probability of developing certain talents unique to either the light or dark path, growing more powerful as the generations continue.

However, as reputation would like suffer from someone with a dark reputation, the option to be neutral again when starting over would be appreciated. If you choose to continue down the path of your parents, great. But there should be some benefit/option to change direction.

This may have been addressed, so apologies if so. I'm still reading through all the forums, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.