COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Creating a New character QUERY

Hey All,

So I had this though in my head. So as character creation has been described to me via the videos/forum would it be possible to take over an NPC who is the middle of doing a task? Say a player has a child and that child is an open NPC. That child reaches the age of 18 and finds himself in some trouble, say he is travelling a road and is attacked, and say some newcomer to the game happens to select this NPC as who he will be playing. Will this hypothetical player be thrown in the middle of combat right away as their very first experience in the game?

Sincerely, Joe

12/26/2017 9:56:07 PM #1

That is a good question, how will jumping into NPC work when all NPC will always be doing something in the world.

Also how will character creation work in the world itself, i mean it seems that now all players will enter into the world through pre existed NPC children or adults but since thats the case why can we change their apperance in character creation? It would break my immersion to always see NPC suddenly look different right in front of my eyes.

But then if they take away the ability to change the NPC apperance than players will complain so it seems to be they are stuck in a paradox

12/26/2017 10:13:02 PM #2

There's no definitive answer to that question at this stage of development. Based on the latest update, SBS is currently working on character creation. For your hypothetical scenario to even be possible, NPCs would have to always spawn into the game and perform tasks just as PCs would, and players would have to possess existing NPCs instead of just being added to an existing family.

Both of these are assumptions at this juncture. It's entirely possible that NPC spawning may get optimized by the time the game launches and that character creation simply adds a player to an existing family to circumvent odd situations like your hypothetical from unfolding.

12/26/2017 10:19:14 PM #3

Looks - When you take over an NPC (child via creation) you can alter the looks based on the same criteria as when the child is born. Ie constricted based on genetics of the parents. Same goes if you use a child code for a players locked offspring.

As it stands now (could change) this is also the case for NTCs. This is a change from previous dev journals on the matter. See down the rabbit hole for details.

Actions - we do not really know. We also do not know if the new player is bound by the previous NPCs contracts. Our best guess at this point is it’s entierly possible to be mid combat or be dead when you first log in.

I personally assume there will be a status page or something similar that lets you know before taking them over what they are currently doing.

12/27/2017 1:54:31 AM #4

It'd be quite the shock to take over a child that's being mauled by a Bear, what a sad way to go.

Posted By joemiddle at

That child reaches the age of 18 and finds himself in some trouble, say he is travelling a road and is attacked, and say some newcomer to the game happens to select this NPC as who he will be playing. Will this hypothetical player be thrown in the middle of combat right away as their very first experience in the game?

I think it's a possibility, a small chance of it happening, but still possible.

12/27/2017 8:18:53 AM #5

Posted By Malais at 5:19 PM - Tue Dec 26 2017

Looks - When you take over an NPC (child via creation) you can alter the looks based on the same criteria as when the child is born. Ie constricted based on genetics of the parents. Same goes if you use a child code for a players locked offspring.

As it stands now (could change) this is also the case for NTCs. This is a change from previous dev journals on the matter. See down the rabbit hole for details.

Actions - we do not really know. We also do not know if the new player is bound by the previous NPCs contracts. Our best guess at this point is it’s entierly possible to be mid combat or be dead when you first log in.

"After becoming that NPC, they get the NPC's land, wealth, family, etc. But in exchange, they lose any and all customization - including the character's name and appearance. This could be undesirable in many cases. But when the NPC you're planning to inhabit is one of your children or a nearby relative, it's no longer an issue." Down the Rabbit Hole

Also, you will not be able to take over an NPC that has died as they would be permanently dead (One essentially could go into a city, kill off the NPCs and wreak havoc by crippling that city's infrastructure. Though then they would have to face the wrath of not only the players in the city but also the players and NPCs related to the NPCs. Not to mention the tribe/kingdom to which those NPCs belonged). However, that being said taking over an NTC in combat I feel may be possible..?

I'm not a doctor.

12/27/2017 1:41:23 PM #6

Posted By Proteus at 02:18 AM - Wed Dec 27 2017

Posted By Malais at 5:19 PM - Tue Dec 26 2017

"After becoming that NPC, they get the NPC's land, wealth, family, etc. But in exchange, they lose any and all customization - including the character's name and appearance. This could be undesirable in many cases. But when the NPC you're planning to inhabit is one of your children or a nearby relative, it's no longer an issue." Down the Rabbit Hole

Also, you will not be able to take over an NPC that has died as they would be permanently dead (One essentially could go into a city, kill off the NPCs and wreak havoc by crippling that city's infrastructure. Though then they would have to face the wrath of not only the players in the city but also the players and NPCs related to the NPCs. Not to mention the tribe/kingdom to which those NPCs belonged). However, that being said taking over an NTC in combat I feel may be possible..?

I stand corrected then.

At some point it was said those who have titles and such and must choose an NTC durning exposition would be allowed to customize the NPC. Guess it’s been changed once more.

12/30/2017 7:15:03 AM #7

Isn't this why you can also go for a ward off the state allowing for full character customization. Including your own surename if I'm not mistaking.

As such it makes sense that you don't have these options when you take over an older more established NPC.

And have somewhat limited customization if you play a child that's off age, giving you customization based on the parents genetics.

I for one plan to go for a ward when the game comes out, as it allows me full freedom of customization and naming

test

12/30/2017 12:55:17 PM #8

As I understand it:

Being a ward will allow you to choose an orphanage to spawn in. You will then choose your tribe based on the options for that region, and choose your appearance based on the limitations of that tribe and will choose some starting skills. Your surname will be provided by the orphanage. You will be dependant on the orphanage until you establish yourself in the world.

Choosing the standard route, you will take over an NPC between the ages of 15 and 18 that you will choose based on geographic region, tribe, and/or starting skills. That NPC will go through a ceremony that is part of the lore of the world and sometimes results in an appearance and/or name change. You will be dependant on your family until you get established in the world and/or inherit.

If you start as an NTC, you will have a character who is established in the world with higher starting skills. You will not be able to customise their name or appearance.

Shieldwall Strong!