COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Are the 2nd+ souls locked to the same server?

Assuming you wish to play more than one soul, as I expect many of us to do, are those additional souls locked to the same server as your primary soul?

If they are locked to server, are they locked to your family, or can you place a soul in another County, Dukedom, or even Kingdom?

While it would be nice to be able to play a different tribe, doing so on the same server just feels like it could be abused. If I was to go outside my family/home county, I'd rather do so on another server altogether to avoid claims of being a spy or even an agent provocateur.

12/27/2017 4:14:33 PM #1

The most current information we have from Caspian on that subject is that souls are divided into packs and rather than individual souls being locked to a server, the entire soul pack is. Other than that, I don't believe there are any restrictions on how souls may be used on a server, save for story points.

12/27/2017 8:20:50 PM #2

Thank you very much.

I can see the potential for misuse certainly, but the ability to have an independent alt in another tribe is a major plus from the player enjoyment level for many as well. I was rather hoping for a Kingdom lock on a given server though, to prevent cross-realm type intrigue.

12/27/2017 8:27:09 PM #3

Posted By Torawin Jonham at 2:20 PM - Wed Dec 27 2017

Thank you very much.

I can see the potential for misuse certainly, but the ability to have an independent alt in another tribe is a major plus from the player enjoyment level for many as well. I was rather hoping for a Kingdom lock on a given server though, to prevent cross-realm type intrigue.

They want cross-realm intrigue. makes for great story telling.

12/27/2017 9:03:15 PM #4

Hmmm, that opens up a world of possibilities (pardon the pun.)

12/27/2017 9:05:12 PM #5

I like the idea of no restrictions. I’m assuming it’ll make politics more interesting. Well, interesting for me. I’m sure it’ll be a headache for those actually doing a politics playstyle ;)

12/27/2017 9:49:21 PM #6

The information I have is a bit conflicting. There's a source in the #soul-chamber channel on Discord which suggests that all three souls of an account package are tied to a specific server but I've had some trustworthy people tell me that might have changed.

Regardless there are certainly no restrictions on family, tribe, kingdom, etc. for how you use your other souls and that has never been mentioned.

As one of those people needing to enforce justice and rule of law I agree it will certainly be a headache but better that there is some story and with alts people will be more willing to do those dangerous and fun things :) What fun is being a lawman with no criminals to catch?

12/28/2017 7:17:33 AM #7

Well I get that SBS has not kingdom locked souls and the fun that can be had playing in different realms; but I think this is begging for exploitation. I mean why use all the nefarious skills for intelligence gathering when you can Kingdom hop between alts to spy more effectively? As others have pointed out, it will be problematic for those in the Aristocracy and Nobility.. Maybe you just can't stop this sort of thing..

OCE | Kingdom of Lor Voskara | Duchy of Summerfell Mire | Castell Rhuddlan

12/28/2017 8:12:17 AM #8

Posted By Mihangel Ap Daffyd at 02:17 AM - Thu Dec 28 2017

Well I get that SBS has not kingdom locked souls and the fun that can be had playing in different realms; but I think this is begging for exploitation. I mean why use all the nefarious skills for intelligence gathering when you can Kingdom hop between alts to spy more effectively? As others have pointed out, it will be problematic for those in the Aristocracy and Nobility.. Maybe you just can't stop this sort of thing..

To an extent it is unavoidable, if someone really wants to do this sort of thing they can always buy two completely separate packages which outside of watching payment information and IP address the game/Soulbound can't tell is the same person and of course even something like that can be circumvented with VPNs, secondary payment method, etc.

Soulbound could put in a restriction for souls on the same package to be in a specific kingdom but even that doesn't stop intrigue, you never know if your position as Count in your kingdom is being hungrily looked at by one of your Mayors for instance who has an alt spy in your court or if your settlement is being eyed up by a neighboring Count in the same duchy. :)

Regardless the takeaway is players in leadership positions will need to take this into consideration when designing security and hierarchy in their organizations. This likely will even apply to guilds and business enterprises with things like corporate espionage possibly in the game.

12/28/2017 2:22:31 PM #9

Posted By Polite at 6:12 PM - Thu Dec 28 2017

To an extent it is unavoidable, if someone really wants to do this sort of thing they can always buy two completely separate packages which outside of watching payment information and IP address the game/Soulbound can't tell is the same person and of course even something like that can be circumvented with VPNs, secondary payment method, etc.

Soulbound could put in a restriction for souls on the same package to be in a specific kingdom but even that doesn't stop intrigue, you never know if your position as Count in your kingdom is being hungrily looked at by one of your Mayors for instance who has an alt spy in your court or if your settlement is being eyed up by a neighboring Count in the same duchy. :)

Regardless the takeaway is players in leadership positions will need to take this into consideration when designing security and hierarchy in their organizations. This likely will even apply to guilds and business enterprises with things like corporate espionage possibly in the game.

my only reply is 'hear, hear!'. Well said. I guess we cannot help some unintended consequences.

OCE | Kingdom of Lor Voskara | Duchy of Summerfell Mire | Castell Rhuddlan

12/28/2017 4:54:54 PM #10

Posted By Mihangel Ap Daffyd at 08:22 AM - Thu Dec 28 2017

Posted By Polite at 6:12 PM - Thu Dec 28 2017

my only reply is 'hear, hear!'. Well said. I guess we cannot help some unintended consequences.

Yes exactly. the devs want the game to have potential to have espionage like what happens in eve online. Because that is GREAT story potential.

Some Examples from Eve;

Link

Link

Link

Link

12/29/2017 9:04:32 PM #11

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. The intrigue, story possibilities, corporate espionage, will all attract different play styles, and hopefully more players as well!

1/5/2018 4:14:57 PM #12

Perhaps all of a users characters and their allegiances on a server should be listed to prevent exploit.

1/5/2018 4:38:32 PM #13

Or they do EvE Style and outsource the research to player organizations. I don't like EvE very much but something like that in CoE would be great.

2/2/2018 6:27:30 AM #14

One thing I clearly remember hearing from one of the SBS vids on Youtube was that there are things that you (the player) will know..., but that your toons will not.

If the "stolen" information doesn't exist in the "minds" of the toons/AI...it may result in unintended consequences when you try to use that information in game.

Using alts for espionage will require some sort of communication between your alt (spy) toon and any other toons that are to be consumers or conduits of that information and make it actionable. So, your own "spy" alt is really not that much different from using any other espionage asset, other than you may not have to pay or contract for the collection and delivery of that information.

But, there will still be a "trail of breadcrumbs" so to speak and it is up to the player to figure out how to cover their tracks and insert that information into the "conscience" of the game world ..., and have it make sense and be actionable.

Thoughts?

Baron Guarocuya Tzajorrar, High Commander, HOLDFAST KEEP

Friend Code: 35479B
2/2/2018 10:33:13 AM #15

A player might have to run 3 or more alts to engage in significant espionage securely: one for the main, one for the spy, and one or more for the couriers. For deep plants to be effective, they cannot be perceived as out of the ordinary. Mysterious trips out of the country, for example, would not generally be seen as ordinary. If the main is a king or high noble, any comings and goings will be notable. If the go-between is another PC or even an NPC, there is an increased security risk.