COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mixing Races

How does everyone think they will handle mixing races. Will they have some RNG as to how the mixed race individuals will turn out? Say a Hrothi and a Brudvir have a kid. Will they end up like a super muscled Neran with some or all of the abilities of both tribes. Will race mixing even be allowed? Could Kingdoms outlaw cross tribal breeding? Have the developers said anything regarding this?

1/9/2018 11:23:18 PM #1

If i recall correctly they one time said that if you mix 2 races the child will not only have the strength of both of the races but also their weaknesses.

1/9/2018 11:45:28 PM #2

You'll inherit individual physical traits from each of your parents, though which traits you inherit will be determined by a mix of player choice ("I want my mother's eyes") and pure genetic simulation. ("This trait is expressed despite being recessive because it is possessed by both parents")

This could mean you could end up inheriting all of your parents' strengths and weaknesses, but it also means you could inherit some or none of a particular parent's traits, depending on the parents involved.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
1/10/2018 1:53:12 AM #3

You can make implicit contracts, i.e. laws, which apply only to certain tribes. Presumably this means it is possible to criminalize marriage between tribes, or even to prevent one tribe from marrying at all. However, the exact details of this system are a bit fuzzy at present. It is understood that the possible contracts and their complexity, and therefore laws as well, will increase over the lifespan of the game and therefore the laws you're describing should be possible at some point even if they are not at launch.

1/11/2018 8:52:03 AM #4

What Barleyman said, but remember that marriage in an in-game legal sense is not necessarily the same as procreation in an in-game biological sense. Unless...

... I sure hope we're not going to be in a U.S.-standard G-rated 1950's Disneyesque milieu, moral-sense wise. That would be immersion in a fantasy world that is too fantastic to be able to suspend disbelief.

1/11/2018 11:33:12 AM #5

What would happen if you cross Janoa and Waerd? Would there lungs be weak in dry and wet envoirments or would it balance out that way?

Jonoa disadvantigue: Wet Lung - As a result of their biome, they are accustomed to high levels of moisture. In arid and dry environments, they are quicker to fatigue.

Waerd disadvantigue: Dry Lung - The Waerd are accustomed to the dry air of the semi-arid desert. They fatigue more quickly in humid environments

1/11/2018 6:13:56 PM #6

I'm already planning on creating offspring with another race. Hopefully my combination between Neran & Brudvir will produce strong and hard working heirs. I'm guessing individual Kingdoms may have their own laws dictating any forbidden combinations? It certainly will be interesting how this all shakes out.

1/12/2018 1:03:29 AM #7

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Character_Creation

These are some concept images of how the character creation would go. You would simply have a range to work with based off your parents and then you get to choose the stats that you wish with the specified range.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

1/12/2018 2:03:25 AM #8

How far can the mixing go. Like 3rd or 4th generation mixing of tribes. I wondering if the strengths and weakness would continue for multiple generation.

Thanks Outkast

1/13/2018 12:22:16 AM #9

Posted By outkast99 at 9:03 PM - Thu Jan 11 2018

How far can the mixing go. Like 3rd or 4th generation mixing of tribes. I wondering if the strengths and weakness would continue for multiple generation.

Thanks Outkast

That function of the game hasn't been fleshed out as far as we know so we cannot provide info on that.

However plenty of people will be breeding with other tribes to get the character they desire most if the original tribe they were born into isn't what they really wanted. SBS also mentioned this could lead to new tribes of splinter tribes of the originals. Doubtful there will be laws to outlaw marriage between tribes though, however social culture within a tribe is different.

1/14/2018 1:37:44 AM #10

Hey thanks for the reply. My mind is going crazy trying to think of crossbreeding. I gotta say COE has the best gaming community. Lots of info sharing. This game is so overwhelming in the best way. Cant wait!!!

1/14/2018 5:53:26 AM #11

'...I'm guessing individual Kingdoms may have their own laws dictating any forbidden combinations?...'

This has happened in real life, historically, Dustan. I think that CoE game mechanics should conpletely allow character creation via any pairing...

(It's never stoppped two people having a child, no matter where they each originated from, in my own world - my own progeny included!). From attraction and connection comes diversity! My roleplay character will be of such a pairing...

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

1/14/2018 8:05:55 AM #12

How will mixed races work when traits cancel each other out? such as a high tolerance to poison and no tolerance to poison?

1/14/2018 2:17:22 PM #13

Breed Beaded Hrothi.

Just a lonely peasant on the road looking towards a distance future with the sweat on my back and a tear of cloth in my hand a family crest it must be. A adventure will i have, I dream of dreams my destiny awakens me.

Friend Code: A48E0C

1/15/2018 1:35:19 PM #14

Is there even the physical possibility for all tribes to have kids with each other? I don't think a Dras could have a kid with a Hrothi just because of the big difference in height. And even if, maybe the children of some tribe combinations would be unable to further reproduce themselves like mules.

It just doesn't make sense to me to freely mix tribes to a ridiculous extent. What's the point of these tribes then? They wouldn't have existed at the beginning if everyone married people from other tribes. Furthermore some tribes hate each other and would never even think of living together, and even those who like each other still prefer their own tribe. I think as a player you should try to behave like your character normally would according to the religion, beliefs and abilities of their tribe, at least to some extent.

Friend Code: DB7984

12/6/2018 2:13:03 AM #15

All of this is interesting.