COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
The Trials

Daring not even to breath he pressed his cheek hard against the the warm, wooden floor of his grandfathers study, He pressed so hard that he could feel the grain of the wood pushing back against his skin, leaving an impression deep enough to count the years. His father had called it a "game" when he'd dared young Aiden to sneak into the Lord Sanglune's study and surprise the elderly Baron. If he succeeded his reward would make all the other boys of the stronghold jealous for weeks, if he failed ... well Aiden didn't want to think about the consequences.

The young boy crawled forward moving inch by inch in time with the turning of a page from one of his grandfather's old dusty tomes. Each turn was a crisp sound, new ink on old text, pages as brittle as the line of the burning. Aiden had heard the stories of the The Waerd assassins from his nanny. In the stories they were the most legendary assassins of Elyria. Quiet as a cloud on a dark night, deadly as a Neran plague and mysterious as the two fold queen. His grandfather was old, but Aiden's uncle Drake had warned him to be as quiet as a Domino Fox on the hunt ever alert and always ready. A page turned, crisp and loud in the otherwise silent study and in that moment Aiden took the chance to steal another inch across the floor.Unfortunately the warm oak planks betrayed him, a soft creek echoing off of the library of ancient texts, a sound louder than a cannonade in an otherwise silent space.

The boy froze, his breath held tight until his lungs ached and burned and right as he started to see blue and green stars cross his sight a crisp, confident voice broke across the silence like a bolt of lighting through a dark night.

“ The creaks and groans of an old keep shift with the winds as strongly as the age and the desires of the young. As the sun is bright, and the wind is calm, what brings you here my grandson?” The elderly man asked, the crisp sound of another page being turned, his voice clear, calm and to Aiden’s ears all knowing. The young boy sighed deeply letting his for head drop against the hard floor of the study.

“How did you know it was me grandpa?” The boy asked standing as he dusted off his shirt and trousers then walked towards the dark wooden desk covered in old maps.

The old man leaned back in his chair and motioned for his grandson to climb into his lap. “ With age comes wisdom, knowledge, and a sense of the divine. Plus, it didn’t help that there is a mirror over in the corner” He said gesturing to the reflective surface which betrayed everyone, with a deep laugh as Aiden crawled into his lap.

Aiden glanced to the glassy surface of the mirror, its reflection depicting him, gold hair, blue eyes and slight of frame sitting in the lap of a man who's build had perhaps once been grand but now was simply strong. The lord wore a pair of dark robes, simple yet elegant, his hair was white as clouds yet his eyes blue as the sky and still sharp. There was little embellishment except for a wedding band around his finger and a cold iron necklace that hung around his neck. The one thing that stood out most though was the silver scare that peaked out from beneath his dark robes. The intricate formation of a compas rose burned into his flesh.

Behind the two figures the mirror reflected the entrance way of the study and most of the hallway.

“So it was a trap” the boy said with a sigh of defeat. He’d tried so hard this time, he’d even gone to the extent of bribing the hallway guards with sweets from the kitchen to let him pass silently.

‘No, simply a test.” The master of the house said patting the young boy’s knee. “What was the bet this time, Sweets from the baker? Toys from the carpenter?” Lord Sanglune asked.

Aiden frowned and looked at his hands, a small tear sliding down his cheek.”A colt, father said I could have a colt to train and ride if I surprised you unaware”

Aries Sanglune laughed, deep and full. “And If you failed?” He inquired

“The birch and a week mucking the stables” Aiden replied “Could you… tell father I found you unaware” he asked between light sobs, his blue eyes drifting up to meet his grandfathers.

The old man smiled lightly wiping away the boys tears before asking “And if I did what would that make me ?”

“My grandfather” Aiden replied quickly without missing a beat.

The old man laughed long and deep “ You my grandson, are far to clever. But no, that would make me a liar and blood never lies to blood. Our word is our bond and our bond is to King, Septem may he live forever, to lie to blood is to break that bond. However, I'll make a deal with you. You know my young stallion Erath? Well, if you go to your father and tell him the truth that you failed and take your punishment like a true Sanglune then I shall give that dark war horse to you as a reward for you honesty.

The boy reached across and took up his grandfather's wrists running a thumb along the old brand “ And a saddle, I need a saddle” he said confidently. “I can't be a knight without a saddle”

2/5/2018 8:48:54 AM #1

The falcon circled once, twice, three times before landing on the thickly gloved hand of Aiden’s cousin. A silver white scar peaked from underneath the mans glove in the form of a compass rose. The birds attention darted around, sharp and preceptive before relenting to a treat of raw leffit allowing Bast Sanglune to pull the message from the falcon’s leg.

“Father, Baron Virtus has instructed our expedition to continue to the northernmost mapped location of the county and redraw the border lines upon the request of the Queen”

The exploration party sat quietly upon their mounts a trained calm amongst the unit before Sir Drake nodded thoughtfully,and his light voice broke out amongst the group “ Mann, we are about to enter the the mouth of Karicion, land of daemons and fiends. Keep your wits about you, and keep your blades ready. More than anything keep your lances in your briches! “ he yelled to a ror or applause.

The rangers laughed sharing a nudge against old friend then quitedy, .They were veterans of stories long told past and herors of the future if they lived. They would build the nationa that was to come map by bamp or end up six feet under.

“Why do we venture so far west” asked young Aiden as he pulled the lean, sure footed Erath next to his uncle. “We've been out here for months, we lack rations,and have no maps of the north, must we continue on with such short notice?”

The elder Sanglune looked down upon his nephew and almost smiled, but years of fortitude and the cold range held the emotion at bay, how young we all once were he thought .

“ The Queen has commanded we venture forward into the mist of the unknown. Tomorrow will be yesterday in a single beat of the heart and if we do not continue on then our enemies might gain ground over us, in land that is rightly ours. Do as you may young lord but the rangers org Sanglune continue on.

Aiden nodded pulling the reins of Erath in tightly to keep up with the pace of his uncle and cousin, his gaze drifting to the smooth portion of his wrist where a silver scar should have been. “Always on” he said aloud. He’d been told he was too young for the mark of the rose but he’d drawn maps since before he could run in the study of his grandfather and had been ranging from the moment he could ride a horse.

A royal command was not to be taken lightly, luckily Drake felt confident in his mission and his party. He looked sideways to his nephew Aiden and nodded silently in approval. The boy was young but he was humble and able just like his father. Drake had always admired his older brother for his composure and to a degree been jealous of his political aptitude, but Drake was through and through a man of the land, his life was the range. Drake knew that with enough time he could give the little lord sufficient guidance to raise him into a proper baron. Amongst the Sanglune, children were always trained by their uncles or aunts since it was believed the father would either be too harsh or soft on their children. Drake however felt that he provided just the right amount of love and discipline for his young nephew. Young Aiden would grow into the next steward of the lands, his hand craftings intimately carved maps and futures for everyone in the kingdom and if his vision held true he would even be the royal cartographer for the young queen as the Sanglunes of past had been, Drake simply had to whip Aiden into shape, luckily he had his own son Bast on his side to help guide Aiden in being the next Baron.

2/5/2018 8:49:08 AM #2

Reserved

2/5/2018 8:54:46 AM #3

Reserved

8/23/2018 9:31:00 PM #4

Chapter 1: Sneak Skill Level Up

Chapter 2: Cartography Skill Level Up