COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Gunpowder? Tech talk

Now; I've seen one of the Dev posts of the technology not remaining stagnant, I could only imagine someone slowly making their way to gunpowder, or at least really advanced crossbows and cannons. But what are your thoughts on this? Could generations and generations lead to certain eras? Will there be an Industrial Era? The glider they had demonstrated really opened my eyes to something more DaVinci style technology, maybe clockwork and complicated devices. And maybe, because of there may be an age of gunpowder, maybe there'll be a greater age of exploration. Of Naval Supremacy, of ships and sailing.

I could only imagine within a few generations and I'll be saying "Back in (insert character's name here) great great Grandfather's day, there wasn't airsips and gunpowder kicking around everywhere" or something of the sort xD

But I think it will be really cool to have armour clad adventurers taking a train to go and slay a dragon.

We are the dogs of war.

2/16/2016 3:35:31 AM #1

There will be some level of progression related to technological research. Over the ten years the game runs it is likely (but not certain) that towards the end we will see a new "era".

Then you have the game that starts when the ten year cycle ends. Whether it picks up industrial or steampunk themed is up in the air. I get the impression it will be at least partially decided by our actions in game.

8/18/2017 4:09:00 PM #2

Yea I've been wondering about gunpowder... i mean naval battles will eventually develop cannons id imagine, and if cannons come around then terribly made guns cant be too far around the corner right? Time will tell i guess..

A bloodline soldier, looking for his battle.. (NA-West)

Friend Code: 81F39F

8/18/2017 4:15:39 PM #3

I believe Caspian himself has addressed this from a theoretical perspective, but the suggestion was it would be very late in the game if at all before gunpowder might even become a thing.

Now speaking from my own speculation, could see some rare and wondrous items, artifacts and the like that are effectively firearms sooner? But for a general tech progression it's probably deviating too far from their core design to even think about developing 'concepts' for that type of gameplay yet.

8/18/2017 4:33:04 PM #4

Personally I am torn over gun powder. While I would love to have black powder to open up caves and mountain areas, and I am thinking sea battles would be fantastic with them, I would hate to see everyone running around with guns instead of swords or bows. Where or how to draw such a line escapes me for now but I do not want guns (unless steam powered perhaps) in CoE.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

8/18/2017 4:44:36 PM #5

You could just prevent smiths from making small metal tubes strong enough to allow for a handheld firearm capable of penetrating armour. That would still allow cannons and mining etc.

If people still build firearms, because they are easy to conceal, and use one could limit their effective reach, make them prone to missfire ... there are enough options to keep it in check, though some of them could seem a little heavy handed.

The truth is born in argument

8/18/2017 5:38:25 PM #6

Caspian has said it would be at least 7-8 real world years after release before people reached firearms

and I quote caspian (I want to say it was from his pax east presentation):

"The weapons would be as deadly if not more so to the user as the one they were pointed at."

(Because they will often explode in the users hands)

8/18/2017 5:44:46 PM #7

I'd expect siege and naval guns well before personal firearms if anything.

8/18/2017 7:27:11 PM #8

I don't know why people are scared of guns

8/18/2017 11:18:48 PM #9

Posted By Maulvorn at 2:27 PM - Fri Aug 18 2017

I don't know why people are scared of guns

A lot of people falsely think that it will ruin pvp gameplay from the melee combat that we will all know by the time Muskets come about. I attribute this largely to the fact that when people think of guns they only think of modern guns, or of how deadly they were back in like the American Civil War. They don't either realize or know how bad the early muskets were.

8/18/2017 11:45:27 PM #10

Primitive guns took a long time to reload so you better make that one shot count. As long as we can't make fast loading or guns that can fire more then one shot before reloading. I don't see guns being over powered. If you miss your enemy will be on you before you can reload. And those guns were not all that accurate at range.

8/19/2017 7:44:00 AM #11

The question becomes where does all this tech end?

Its a lot more fun not having to worry about someone inventing a gatling gun, a tank, airplane, electricity, factories, the printing press, the internet, machine guns, lazers, or mechs.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

9/7/2017 1:36:01 AM #12

Cannons are also a concern. They are a game changer for the efficacy of walled cities.

Yes, naval combat is a lot more interesting (to most) with cannons, but ships are at least a year out, and I think we could do okay with boarding, ramming, and archery attacks for a while.

9/7/2017 1:58:49 AM #13

Posted By Quintero at 6:36 PM - Wed Sep 06 2017

Cannons are also a concern. They are a game changer for the efficacy of walled cities.

Yes, naval combat is a lot more interesting (to most) with cannons, but ships are at least a year out, and I think we could do okay with boarding, ramming, and archery attacks for a while.

I agree. I would rather have to board a ship and take its crew on with my sword rather then watch the ship slowly get blown apart and wait for the white flag of surrender to pop up(unless they make it like black flag with no realism in which case Ill never try the open waves of the waters. PLus imagine running a port city and someone drives by with cannons, they don't need to fear the penalties. Who is going to chase down pirates with cannons afterall.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

10/3/2017 5:59:30 PM #14

I cant wait for the future where secret projectile launchers are available and I can finally finalize my character with my revolver-penis-cannon. To see what I'm talking about go to google images and copy and paste this: 'From Dusk Till Dawn - sex machine'. This is the most amazing way to kill someone.

10/3/2017 6:09:16 PM #15

Here's a short film that shows what earlier firearms looked like in 1472.

NSFW - Wölfe - Historical Short Action Film

It takes a hot minute before that stick of a gun was operable again once it's been fired. So would guns in a medieval setting break the game? If done with balance in mind to the game, no more than some mystical armor piercing crossbow.