COMMUNITY - FORUMS - OCEANUS GENERAL
Smaller continent

I've read or heard (hard to keep track of the info I'm going through) that this server will have a smaller land mass compared to other servers.

How do you think this will impact? I'm sure developers have done the research, but I was kind of looking forward to seeing how different sized populations worked on similar size maps.

Grizzly "The Ogre" Beralindwurm

From the Brudvir Den of Vargviken - E3FA4E

3/5/2018 9:33:55 PM #1

Posted By Grizzly1 at

I've read or heard (hard to keep track of the info I'm going through) that this server will have a smaller land mass compared to other servers.

How do you think this will impact? I'm sure developers have done the research, but I was kind of looking forward to seeing how different sized populations worked on similar size maps.

I think the idea is to keep roughly the same proportion of players to land mass so the world doesn't feel too empty.

3/5/2018 10:49:30 PM #2

You should bear in mind that this only refers to the starting continent, overall the world is the same size and "smaller" is by no means small, it's still massive

3/5/2018 11:49:21 PM #3

Yessums. And its going down from 192 km to 144 km in width, that is all that is being changed. There's also to account for there is only 4 kingdoms and not 6. They want it to feel more like Oceanus with the starting continent as well so it should be interesting ^.^

So what all this means really is that Oceanus has a little more to explore than the other servers because it is still the same size as the other maps just the starting continent is different

All the info can be found here under World Building :3

3/6/2018 12:37:23 AM #4

Thanks for the info and clarification. Definitely happy with what you've described

Grizzly "The Ogre" Beralindwurm

From the Brudvir Den of Vargviken - E3FA4E

3/6/2018 1:05:38 AM #5

It will make boats incredibly valuable which alone will send ripples through our particular servers "evolution". Every river, pond and waterhole will essentially become more valuable as well, as there is only a limited number. The Toresk will have a bigger advantage than normal, and not only because of their positive traits but because of their biome. More precious land masses and bridges for the powerful to exploit and natural adaptions to a naturally more watery server and archipelago nation.

Beyond the mechanical stuff (which I'm not fully covering in the quick comments above) I can also see our server having a very unique event or two occuring once in awhile. Perhaps the ocean Goddess has a more active role in our "universe"? And perhaps her role causes other gods to react, and so on. Not to mention the potential for giant sea monsters.

There are also political ramifications for the reality of more limited land. Friendships are more lasting, but trust is easy to strain as our kings and queens break a sweat when another moves his or her troops right next to their borders. Not that the one moving troops ment to provoke, but because the borders are so small as to make any movement a potential sign of war. It also has a strong inverse effect on isolationists. They will be more stubborn and aggressive as they protect their valuable and highly sought after land with its unique resources.

Overall, we're in for a uniquely oceanic story of our own making. But let's show the rest of the world what we're made of yeah? Let's not bicker and fight imaginary wars like the Americans and Europeans have, and let's prove that the Oceanic community is a collaborative, productive and meaningful one as we are in the real world.

3/6/2018 2:34:18 AM #6

I have been wondering since it was announce Oceanic would be an archipelago server. Does that mean our boat tech starts better than other servers? Since even if the different islands are connected via shallow waters. It would really still take ages to research the big enough boat tech to start invading. To offset that tech, we could start with lower tech in something else.

Just from my view, seems like it's going to be really punishing for any PvP type players. Unless they want to just do this type of PvP within the kingdom.

While not sure what type of boats we start with. Something tells me it they won't be good enough to carry a load on troops plus suppliers.

3/6/2018 3:10:53 AM #7

I don't believe it means your server starts better than other servers but more that your server will be more focused on that area of research near the beginning.

3/6/2018 3:22:31 AM #8

Well put Violet.

And I'm sure the PVPers can wait till we build the world first Valeska, bahaha. At least that way you have places to tear down and things to steal hmm?

3/6/2018 3:29:47 AM #9

Posted By VioletWinterbourne at 2:10 PM - Tue Mar 06 2018

I don't believe it means your server starts better than other servers but more that your server will be more focused on that area of research near the beginning.

For me that's seems maybe not unfair, but odd. If I was to start on any other server. I could run straight into another kingdom and start causing trouble. Assuming I started on the border.

Where on Oceanic, I will have to wait maybe 6 months+ to do the same activity. Personally, that seems to put the server in a disadvantage. If anything it seems easier to just create havoc within kingdoms. While knowing I wouldn't last even half as long.

3/6/2018 3:35:54 AM #10

Good luck with that. I'll be watching.

3/6/2018 4:10:33 AM #11

Posted By Sagan at 2:35 PM - Tue Mar 06 2018

Good luck with that. I'll be watching.

Watching what?

3/6/2018 4:39:42 AM #12

Oh a lot of things. People. Behaviours. Decisions. But things like this in particular:

Posted By Valeska at 2:29 PM - Tue Mar 06 2018

If I was to start on any other server. I could run straight into another kingdom and start causing trouble ... If anything it seems easier to just create havoc within kingdoms.

3/6/2018 12:06:47 PM #13

.-.

3/6/2018 2:08:11 PM #14

@Violet. I thought it was confirmed Oceania would be a archipelago? If that isn't the case, then I take back anything I said before.

3/6/2018 7:37:23 PM #15

Posted By Valeska at 07:08 AM - Tue Mar 06 2018

@Violet. I thought it was confirmed Oceania would be a archipelago? If that isn't the case, then I take back anything I said before.

You're totally right and I shouldn't post late at night when I'm tired .-.