COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Script pack

As we get closer to apha/beta I'm sure there will be more information and I'll learn a lot and things will become clear.

Currently I know very little but one of things that I saw that attracted me was the ability to program your character for the off line time. This was an amazing Idea I fully support. It should help to reduce botting incentive, reducing hacks, scams and "hacked" accounts where people found their way to a virus/keylogger while looking around.

I would like to see if we could have a document to provide some guidance on the script language, functionality and global variables.

A site page with test or emulate would be really nice. There is a few great resources out there for learning python, java, and many other languages that might be used. A page with a link to many of these free or paid resources would be nice. Hour of code is the first that comes to my mind but there is also code academy and many others.

Thanks in advance.

Valyria - Calador - Redwatch - (Pending Approval)

3/26/2018 2:48:55 AM #1

The official plan is to offer a graphical programming interface so that players don't have to learn to code in the official scripting language. The language is the same language that is used for scripting NPCs, and is used generally for interfacing with the game engine(s).

3/26/2018 3:19:22 AM #2

This is going to happen anyway the moment that players need to start using scripts. The real question will be who provides the best information and premade scripts. They are going to get a lot of traffic.

3/26/2018 3:27:32 AM #3

The prologue will probably be a good script testing bed.

3/26/2018 3:34:13 AM #4

They plan on providing a graphical interface for non-scripters that have most common actions. For those who want to delve into the scripting side of things, the plan at this point is to use TypeScript, which I understand to be a fairly user-friendly way to code Javascript.

3/26/2018 7:33:24 AM #5

From what we were last told the OPC Scripting is fairly high level. You won't be scripting a super detailed AI player replacement, it's more about giving your character some directions/goals when you're offline than dictating exactly what their going to do minute to minute. While the actions may be complex that doesn't mean the node structure and options will be that complex.

Just saying best to temper the expectations until we hear or see otherwise. This is a pretty unique and non-trivial system (especially due to possible repercussions/resource costs).

3/27/2018 12:55:06 AM #6

anyone know if there will be some way to check the effect of a script? if it is for when i am ofline i wont b on to see it right? some one who knows better than i please enliten me.

Friend Code: 6DEF22

3/27/2018 1:43:50 AM #7

We've been told we can test scripts on The Prologue module, which will be released prior to launch.

3/27/2018 2:23:47 AM #8

thanks so much

Friend Code: 6DEF22

3/29/2018 7:28:33 AM #9

It could be a lot of fun to have a scripting interface, but it could also be a time sink for developers.

If SBS decides to focus on basic gameplay and postpone this feature til after launch, then I will fully support it.

3/29/2018 10:37:04 AM #10

Posted By Halvgrim at 08:28 AM - Thu Mar 29 2018

It could be a lot of fun to have a scripting interface, but it could also be a time sink for developers.

If SBS decides to focus on basic gameplay and postpone this feature til after launch, then I will fully support it.

They can't leave it till after launch, it's an integral part of the game. Without it opc suddenly become a lot more of a problem.

3/29/2018 12:56:23 PM #11

Posted By grandad1982 at 12:37 PM - Thu Mar 29 2018

They can't leave it till after launch, it's an integral part of the game. Without it opc suddenly become a lot more of a problem.

Just for the reference, Halvgrim didn't suggest delaying the OPC feature, but the UI for that feature. And that is actually being taken into consideration by SBS (which I'm very glad about, because that is a part the community could shine at and I'd rather have a great, working game).

See the 'Soul chamber' in discord:'(...)

• Logain: If you don't mind the question, have you decided on how you're going to limit OPC scripts yet @Caspian ? Something like CPU time and memory have to be taken into consideration, but I'm not sure how that could work on an event based model.

• Caspian: Hi Logain, it depends on what is first exposed to the players. Ideally, we want to provide players a visual programming language that works by connecting nodes together. These nodes can have complex behaviors, but the connection of nodes is a directed graph, so there's no need for limiting them. There's no looping.

• Logain: Oh, I thought you had finally decided to use TypeScript

• Caspian: If we can't provide the DAG-based node language by launch, then yes, we'll likely provide straight TypeScript with CPU limiters. We use TypeScript to write the nodes. But ideally we don't expose that to players.'

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

10/8/2018 1:41:56 AM #12

So it is going to be TypeScript instead of C#/Javascript?

Have any documentation or other updates been released yet?

Also, see Screeps.

Kingdom of Alésia

10/8/2018 1:51:47 AM #13

It was discussed, with a screenshot, here