COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
To'resk High Fashion

To be able to zoom click Here, to open up a larger picture.

Caspian:

"..they also highly value things which are stable and consistent. As a result, the To'resk are known to impose their own sense of consistency on the world."

"Finally, due to growing up in the muck and mud of the wetlands, combined with their harsh appearance, the To'resk value cleanliness, ornamentation, and fine things over physical appearances. They also have a strong obsession with gold, as it's not only one of the most flexible metals, but it also never rusts"

"...the familial bond is held sacred in To'resk society.."

The three most important quotes that to me indicate what their fashion would look like, so to draw information from the real world there are 2 places which I think is by far the best to do so:

1. China and the importance family played/plays in their society.

2. 18th century Europe, and more importantly the silhouette and thought there were at that time.

So starting with the 18th century Europe one might think of the "forms" as exaggerating a woman's hips to show they're good at giving children, this is untrue (old women wore these as well as children) But it was on the other hand because of the thoughts that were popular at this time, "18th century was defined by man's supposed triumph over nature and embrace of artifice", everything that was man-made, altered by man or approved by man was to be revered. (this could also be seen in the way gardens and landscapes were being formed into something artificial, like the beautiful mazes etc. you hopefully get the idea) And this was of course applied to clothing as well (especially how wide the silhouettes could become)

So taking into account that the 18th century didn't revere the "natural" but on the other hand the man-made, and more importantly the artificial, really fits well into To'resk way of thought, valuing artificial things over their appearance.

With this in mind let's head into the picture, at the top left we see an elliptical crinoline (i could also have gone with bell) with a corset, on the right side we see pocket hoops which is very 18th century. Now what purpose does these things serve for the To'resk?

Corset:

It's important to note that the corset does not slim down the waist or shows off the natural curves, (as can be seen just under the pink-tinted line) it's in contrast to the Neran's corset that shows off the form and slims, the To'resk corset serves the important function of a strong base where the crinoline/pocket hoop can be fastened, so the weight of the fabrics are distributed over the torso, making it less heavy to wear lots of fabrics.

Crinoline/Pocket hoops:
  • Where the corset creates an base (anchor) for the weight, the crinoline/pocket hoops distributes the weight. I would compare it the amount of weight an ice surface experiences when you walk (straightened up) or crawl across.

• The other important function the pocket hoop/crinoline serves is "impose their own sense of consistency on the world." staying the same silhouette, not changing due to weight gain or loss is a sense of consistency, not only that but it's easier to pass on your garments to your family members once you die, as the garments are fitted to fit the forms, and not your physical silhouette. (making most of the clothing unisex) but also reusable, especially for the poorer To'resk, being able to use finely gold embroidered petticoat for meetings, showing off your family's wealth saves time it would take to destroy the fine craftsmanship to remove the golden thread to then sew it into a new piece of clothing. It's important to show off your family's wealth, and children of both sexes should be able to use the fine clothing and jewelry left in their possession, to pass on the family's treasures.

Rant about other thoughts that sprang to mind when designing:

• Sumatra Indonesia wedding headdress would fit well into the To'resk society headwear, I also took a lot of inspiration from the Chinese headwear as it've always been very grand. (and ornamented), though the renaissance could definitely also be worth looking at for the intriguingly made hairstyles, or the Egyptian's headwear. Important to note that the To'resk should probably use wigs and extensions. (the Egyptians used wigs and it was common to use extensions throughout the middle ages as well, though mostly reserved for the people who could afford it.)

• I used masks or things that obstruct other people's ability to view their faces, using both normal masks as well as jewelry and cloth. To'resk don't value physical appearance, so it would only be natural for them to try to hide their own. I did however find that it would work well with the idea that To'resk are good at reading people because they try through clothing and masks to mask their own intentions, so you would only become really good at reading people who go to the lengths they do, where other tribes wear their emotions more on their sleeves, and so they don't need to build up the "talent" for reading peoples intentions, cause it've always been so clear.

• The armour sets were very Chinese / just generally pompous inspired, I wanted it to be somewhat usable, but at the same time they would most likely hire mercenaries as they're by no means the strongest tribe, so using others to fight their fights leaves their armours to be of more prestigious character, which is why they might also integrate the fine ornamented armour into their every day clothing.

• Embroidery. One of the probably most important things to the To'resk (that and gold) though I imagine the embroidery would most likely depict something from the Qindred religion, looking more as paintings displayed on their garments.

• Fabrics and silhouettes. So the To'resk are very materialistic, and I could very well imagine not only the quality of the fabric, embroidery etc. would play a large role, but also the techniques of how to fold fabric, sew it together etc. ruffles/etc. You want to show off your wealth by getting as much attention, and one of the better ways of doing that is silhouette.

• Size, so the To'resk aren't very tall which is why they should definitely be wearing heels, why heels instead of platform shoes you might ask? The sound heels make when you walk. The To'resk want to be noticed, so they would want to make it apparent that they're coming, which the clicking sound heels make is perfect for this. Platform shoes doesn't make that high sounds, though I imagine if they're made right they could definitely also be wearing platform shoes. Another thing is the size of their clothing, they want to take up space as to draw attention to themselves, the best way of doing that is being grand, and wide enough.

• why are the men not wearing pants So the reason men and not women wear pants in our society is because men were disposable, and therefore they participated in wars etc. trousers were first invented when horse-riding became a thing, it then evolved gradually, men picked it up in high fashion because it was "in" to wear uniforms, also one of the reason the religious men didn't wear pants, because they were above war, not fighters but man of faith. This applies to To'resk's society as well, there's no real reason why the To'resk should've invented pants as they've never really needed them. I did make one person with pants though, but it doesn't make much sense in terms from a cultural and fashion perspective as nothing they've done have "required" pants.

Hope you like my long rant, thank you for reading this far. :) and which outfit did you like the best? if any?

3/31/2018 1:57:16 PM #1

Fantastic work, I especially like the one in the second-to-last column in the first row.

3/31/2018 1:59:41 PM #2

This is beautiful Liva, you really outdid yourself! Some really good info too!

Bravo!!!!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

3/31/2018 2:04:56 PM #3

I honestly thought of To'Resk were weird merchant orcs... these updates are really putting them in a much better light.

Anders J. Brisingr Mayor of Surda County of Aberon Dutchy of Aravier Kingdom of Alesia NA-E Friend Code: 68702B

3/31/2018 2:16:26 PM #4

Srsly bloody fantastic work you have there.

Just a lonely peasant on the road looking towards a distance future with the sweat on my back and a tear of cloth in my hand a family crest it must be. A adventure will i have, I dream of dreams my destiny awakens me.

Friend Code: A48E0C

3/31/2018 2:41:48 PM #5

Fabulous fashion

3/31/2018 3:04:42 PM #6

I'm amazed by your drawings, especially the thought you put into conceptualising the cultural significance of your choices. Love the variety in face covers!

3/31/2018 4:57:38 PM #7

This is amazing. I love it.

4/1/2018 1:01:14 AM #8

I knew I wasnt the only member of the to'resk fan club

This is really beautiful and I hope the devs take into account this thread when designing the to'resk clothing style instead of just ignoring this thread.

something I have noticed is you made the male clothing quite feminine, maybe you were going for a androgynous feeling but i think that's more a Waerd thing than a to'resk thing. Although the to'resk were the one tribe the devs considered making the males able to get pregnant/making both genders able to carry. I mean to'resk do seem quite effeminate but i feel the male clothing could look a little more masculine, like the silhouette, usually large hips are not seen as a masculine feature. And the corsets and pocket hoops on the male gowns are a little bit much.

Honestly whatever the devs make up for the to'resk can't beat this - the level of detail is amazing.

Again devs, don't ignore this help. take notes.

4/1/2018 1:08:44 AM #9

Absolutely stunning artwork as always. This is beautiful

4/1/2018 1:50:16 AM #10

Pretty awesome. As a Tribe I'm leaning towards, you did them justice.

4/1/2018 4:02:14 AM #11

I adore the designs you come up with, Liva. More, more!

4/1/2018 10:37:49 AM #12

Posted By MusaKn at 03:01 AM - Sun Apr 01 2018

I knew I wasnt the only member of the to'resk fan club

This is really beautiful and I hope the devs take into account this thread when designing the to'resk clothing style instead of just ignoring this thread.

something I have noticed is you made the male clothing quite feminine, maybe you were going for a androgynous feeling but i think that's more a Waerd thing than a to'resk thing. Although the to'resk were the one tribe the devs considered making the males able to get pregnant/making both genders able to carry. I mean to'resk do seem quite effeminate but i feel the male clothing could look a little more masculine, like the silhouette, usually large hips are not seen as a masculine feature. And the corsets and pocket hoops on the male gowns are a little bit much.

But that depends on what the tribe "sees" as masculinity, like in our world going to war and such was a masculine thing to do, and that integrated into our clothing, but To'resk have Janoa to wage war for them, so the question is then if they would've even taken those social aspects of "masculine" and somewhat more "practical" clothing and applied it? I took a lot of inspiration from the 18th century because of the focus all artificial, which is where the pocket hoops are from, I want to point out that every child wore these, boys were dressed up as "girls" too, because they weren't going to war, but the most important thing we can take away from knowing that children (boys and girls) used pocket hoops is that it wasn't anything sexual, showing big hips. It was artificial, it showed something that looked uncanny, and it was because of that they liked it. It was something man made, and To'resk who dislike their physical appearance, to me, sound like someone who would want to change their silhouette completely.

Another important note is that there's not really any distinction made in the gameworld between men and women, therefore the clothing would generally be more universal (Neran women most likely wear pants, something they wouldn't in medieval times) because the culture and society asks that of you. Just like the To'resk don't. I don't see the split in "femininity vs masculinity" but rather a split in classes or professions. If anything women might have a higher standing than men because of the Qin goddess Angelica and Luna are the strongest goddesses, and therefore the society might try to mimic that in a sense, putting women above men.

But there is nothing culturally or socially that can make the split to pants justified in my eyes as the To'resk aren't a "practical" tribe, but a tribe of tradition and artificial appearance. Sure for the lowest standing maybe, but for the majority of the tribe I don't :> What do you think? do you see what I'm getting at or did I loose you?

Fashion is not an island, it's a response. :D

4/1/2018 2:09:45 PM #13

Large shoulders are seen by us as a sing of masculinity, dunno if physical strength would be counted in To'Resk culture as also a sing of masculinity, but going by "creating a unatural silhouet" huge shoulderpads could be incorporated by both genders +- like it was in the 80's. It could also be incorporated in To'resk armor.

4/1/2018 2:27:40 PM #14

This is awesome, and i, for one, am more than happy with the idea of a pantless society.

4/1/2018 2:49:28 PM #15

Fantastic work! God i'm really into the idea of golden masks!

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]