COMMUNITY - FORUMS - LUNA GENERAL
Start Your Business!

The entry deadline has been extended to Sunday May 13th!

The Scales of Vitalis is our Duchy level investment vehicle and reality show. Our goal is to showcase Elyria’s best business ideas and determine which businesses would be the most useful investments. All the while, providing publicity for your ideas and support in developing them.

Design a short pitch and send it in before May 13th to enter. The judges will offer help in expanding your vision as we progress through three rounds of competition. One winner will receive 1000 EP and Tax Breaks (5 parcels of land for 15 in game years) for basing their business in Vitalis but any idea with a decent chance of success could find an investor. While the judges, prizes, and investors are from the Duchy of Vitalis, Kingdom of Alesian, NA-E Server, the contest rounds will be publicized so your business can impress all of CoE.

There is also a prize for the Best Business Name land is 2 parcels of land in the County of Two Moons with reduced taxes.

Investors may offer additional investments that are larger or smaller than the tournament rewards.

Our goal is to showcase NA-East's best business ideas and determine which businesses would be the most useful investments. All the while, providing publicity for your ideas and support in developing them.

Create your pitch and send it in before May 13th to enter. The judges will offer help in expanding your vision as we progress through three rounds of competition.

Don’t worry if you don’t have all of this. Pitch your idea and we’ll work with you to develop a plan. Send entries to: [email protected] or visit our Discord

Pitches will be judged on the following criteria:

• Originality
  • Viability
  • Profit Potential
  • Capability of Entrepreneur

Our panel of judges are Jon Warren, Jaxiel, and Juris. They will make determinations on how each entry fits the criteria.

“I firmly believe that every person is a dreamer at heart. Our goal is to harness those dreams and make them achievable for the people willing to put in the time and effort to make them happen. Any citizen with an idea should be able to enter our contest, submit their idea and receive support in developing it into a full business plan.” - Duke Jon Warren

Do you have what it takes to tip the scales? Send us your entry at [email protected] or visit our Discord

4/6/2018 6:21:45 PM #1

I like the Idea, but wouldn't this be better on whichever server thread you are going to be on?

Second thing is what server are you going to be on, which Kingdom is the Duchy of Vitalis in? Just asking for people who are interested.

4/6/2018 8:12:43 PM #2

Posted By Brynath at 11:21 AM - Fri Apr 06 2018

I like the Idea, but wouldn't this be better on whichever server thread you are going to be on?

Second thing is what server are you going to be on, which Kingdom is the Duchy of Vitalis in? Just asking for people who are interested.

Very good points! My bad, I'll be sure to explain the judges and prizes are in NA-E, but businesses will get publicity throughout CoE. This is because not everyone has chosen a server yet and finding investors or businesses to invest in could influence that decision.

4/6/2018 10:14:22 PM #3

Yea ig I don’t really understand how you plan to judge ideas..? I can see this being a thing once the game launches though.

Like do I just create a hyped up, fantasy filled proposal...?

Business plan: part 1. Capture dragons. Part 2. Breed dragons. Part 3. Serve giant dragon egg omelet at a tavern.

4/7/2018 3:20:00 AM #4

Yeah, great point Lady ShyHeart, we definitely don't have the details to be super specific yet. However, there is a lot of information that we can cover. We will be walking people through the process of turning their concept into a business plan and eventually a solid pitch.

We are looking for economically-viable business concepts that can be supported using confirmed mechanics. Growing those businesses aids the duchy in its development.

If you have an idea and want to flesh it out, what's the harm in trying? Some businesses may not make it through the first round, but it does provide people with the opportunity to flesh out a concept. Dragon breeding isn't really something that we can verify as confirmed by the mechanics we have. However, building a zoo is something that we might be able to pursue.

It's all about finding unique ways to use the mechanics to your advantage. If for some reason a business concept is rendered invalid by launch, then we can work to design something new. However, there is a lot you can pursue given what we currently know. Finding the right entrepreneur is as important as finding the right business.

4/7/2018 5:28:37 AM #5

well maybe confirmed mechanics is enough for some people, but we barely have a “branch” view of this game, and any reasonable entrepreneur would need to see the “forest” before they can make an informed decision.

That’s me anyway. But it depends what you think an entrepreneur is. If you thinks it’s essentially gambling, then I suppose this idea sounds good. I’m more of a logic and facts and data kind of person.

Would you like to guess which type more often results in successful business owners? 😛

4/7/2018 6:18:41 PM #6

Posted By Lady ShyHeart at 01:28 AM - Sat Apr 07 2018

Would you like to guess which type more often results in successful business owners? 😛

The logical, creative, thoughtful types that have the good sense to hire an attorney early, and consult often!

4/9/2018 10:22:08 PM #7

I will be personally funding one of the non-winning business ventures out of my own pocket. Looking forward to this. Should you desire any assistance with building your business plan feel free to contact me on Discord or through the forums here.

Good Luck!

4/9/2018 10:27:44 PM #8

Alt text - can be left blank

Alt text - can be left blank

4/10/2018 4:56:18 PM #9

Great Job Londo

Looking forward to seeing the contestants progresion thru the contest. Will love to pick up a few.new members bussness.

4/11/2018 7:23:55 PM #10

I’ll support this once the game launches. But as of now you’re just letting your imaginations run wild with the hype.

Good luck tho

4/11/2018 7:35:35 PM #11

It seems like it can be a fun idea. I would just be wary of telling someone you business if not viable when we don't have all the answers. I know you said you'll used confirmed mechanics but we had confirmed mechanics that has been thrown away in the past.

4/11/2018 7:50:56 PM #12

So let me get this straight; the prize is land within your duchy and no taxes for 15 ingame years (15 weeks)

My main concern here is the fact that, what if i win, and i don't want to be in your duchy? Also why would I reveal trade secrets and plans this early? Also what prevents you from stealing other peoples ideas and trying to replicate them yourselves?

Besides this good luck with your contest I look forward to seeing its results ;)

4/12/2018 2:23:05 AM #13

Hey Primus, the main prize is actually 1000 EP and 15 years of no taxes. Additional investments of thousands of EP are available for solid business ideas. Many of our counts and mayors plan to personally invest in businesses, especially if they settle in their area.

The contest is for investment in Vitalis, not for investment in businesses outside the duchy. However, the 1000 EP is available to any participants, though our investors will probably focus their investments within the duchy. I plan to invest my EP within our borders myself.

As far as trade secrets go, if you are looking to receive investment into your business, you will have to tell someone about it. Those who are too afraid to share their ideas may never get them off the ground. Vitalis is about creating value and innovating, not leeching off of the ideas of others.

If you work with others to improve your ideas, you will end up with a much more valuable end product. It is one of the main reasons we open our mayor seminars to the public and offer recordings of the events.

Those who hoard ideas like a treasure to be secreted away, will lag behind those who work together to build support behind their ideas. In-game, keeping things like recipes and molds secret could definitely be important, but currently, none of us really have unique, secret knowledge about game mechanics. All of it can be researched easily enough and it all remains in flux.

The key is to find the people with big ideas, great problem-solving skills, and persistence. Those qualities will make invaluable entrepreneurs. Those are the people we want to help build businesses in Vitalis. Mechanics will change, but the real value is in the people behind the ideas, not the ideas themselves.

4/12/2018 4:18:43 AM #14

Primus, If your Ideas are good, you may also have other people looking at it, it's not just flavor, yes it is hosted by Jon, but there could be other wealthy figures that may want to have Your business within their domain. Maybe not as well funded as Jon's award for the winner but there are people looking for guilds to flesh out their domain.

Second, people that think they have a trade secret, or something different without an in game actual secret it's likely not a secret. Most people have a myriad of Ideas that they will try to accomplish in order to run a business within the game. You aren't going to be the only one having a business/guild within the game. The only thing that you may want to omit is what you plan on doing with the wealth or with the overall vision of your guild. If that would be counter productive to the noble or aristocracy that may be contacting you.

If you are worried that people are going to steal your special formula, then you aren't that confident that you can pull it off yourself. People that guard their guild design or business design will never actually see any criticism or flaws within the idea if it does seem awesome to you on paper, others with actual experience in running these things will know if you have gumption and the ability to pull off what you are saying. If they feel you don't you may want to have that feedback. Over a year out from release now is the best time to have your ideas challenged. Don't safeguard it. It will only prove that you've gone weak, thinking that your business plan is perfect.

I've talked with Jon for hours before the free kingdom winners where announced he is a bright guy, this isn't a malicious attempt to steal other peoples ideas.

4/27/2018 10:42:31 PM #15

Posted By Gunghoe at 9:18 PM - Wed Apr 11 2018

yes it is hosted by Jon, but there could be other wealthy figures that may want to have Your business within their domain. Maybe not as well funded as Jon's award for the winner but there are people looking for guilds to flesh out their domain.

I completely agree. As a Count and a potential investor I am willing to help grow a business outside of my County or Duchy. If it is being run by the right people I'd love to get in on the ground floor of great plan.

Second, people that think they have a trade secret, or something different without an in game actual secret it's likely not a secret.........Over a year out from release now is the best time to have your ideas challenged. Don't safeguard it. It will only prove that you've gone weak, thinking that your business plan is perfect.

Again, very good point! Very few ideas will be so novel that secrecy will help them. The guilds and businesses that succeed will do so because they are well executed and have the right people doing the right jobs within them. One goal of this contest is help all contestants improve their plan, thereby helping Elyria and the game we're all building together.

Towards that, a couple of us created a Sample Business Plan to give players somewhere to start. Check it out. Use it for the contest, or just for your own secret plans.

Sample Business Plan

And good luck with whatever you do in CoE!