COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Sabotage by Possession

The more I start thinking about starting my settlement, the more one particular issue rears its ugly head and threatens all my plans - other people taking over my NPC's and messing everything up.

For example:

Let's say that during exposition, I get my settlement full of loyal and hard working minions (NPC's) running like a well oiled machine. They are happy and productive, churning out the resources I need to support my crafting endeavors, and my community as a whole.

Come live, some random jack-holes "embody" some of my NPC's and proceed to run around all willy-nilly, disrupting my perfect utopia.

And there is nothing I can do about it.

This has me worried. Not only will it happen unintentionally (simply by virtue of people spawning in your settlement), but it can be done on purpose with the intent of disrupting production.

Here is another example:

A Kingdom/Duchy/County has a productive mining settlement. Through various methods, an opposing force has identified this settlement as a key logistic location. They now proceed to create a bunch of alts to embody NPC's in that settlement with the sole intent of disrupting production.

What is in place to stop this?

I think people might be underestimating how easy this will be to do.

Granted, I may have my information wrong, but I believe you can select the settlement you spawn into (how else would you ensure you are able to play with your guild/friends?).

If that is the case, all it takes is a soul spark.

Imagine a guild dedicated to this - sabotaging settlements:

You and 20 buddies all roll alts and select an enemy settlement as your spawn point. You take over the NPC's, walk them back to your Kingdom (or into the ocean for that matter), abandon the body. Move onto the next.

Or, start sabotaging supplies/food/water/killing of citizens. No army or logistic planning necessary, just roll an alt.

This is legitimately (based on what we know so far) horrifying.

So, to the devs (maybe we can get Snipe to chime in), do you guys have something in place to prevent this? Has it come up?

Remember, if there is a way for gamers to troll/grief something, they will. And this seems like a prime candidate.

Imgur

... ...
4/25/2018 5:37:03 PM #91

It's definitely a major issue as currently explained to the population.

Yes, we don't "own" those NPCs. They aren't ours. But we do attract and retain them based on satisfying in-game needs and goals. A human sparking into them is like they were possessed by an entirely new personality, one with radically different and potentially malevolent goals.

Why do Villager Tokens have value? They give you bodies and Labor availability is one of the primary economic drivers. What's to stop a neighboring town from just taking over all of your NPCs and marching them down the road to their town where they work away as OPCs doing menial labor while the town's main PC populace does the higher value work? They now have a massive competitive advantage over you, their closest competitor.

Or just march all of those into the water to drown and not bother walking back to the corpse ever. You now have a ghost town and your neighbor has no local resource competition.

It's your classic SCV raid, Elyria-style.

4/25/2018 5:43:25 PM #92

Posted By Quintero at 1:37 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

It's definitely a major issue as currently explained to the population.

Yes, we don't "own" those NPCs. They aren't ours. But we do attract and retain them based on satisfying in-game needs and goals. A human sparking into them is like they were possessed by an entirely new personality, one with radically different and potentially malevolent goals.

Why do Villager Tokens have value? They give you bodies and Labor availability is one of the primary economic drivers. What's to stop a neighboring town from just taking over all of your NPCs and marching them down the road to their town where they work away as OPCs doing menial labor while the town's main PC populace does the higher value work? They now have a massive competitive advantage over you, their closest competitor.

Or just march all of those into the water to drown and not bother walking back to the corpse ever. You now have a ghost town and your neighbor has no local resource competition.

It's your classic SCV raid, Elyria-style.

This guy gets it.

Imgur

4/25/2018 6:05:50 PM #93

I very much like that we, as a community, think through the ramifications of the game with such attention to detail. I'd love for that to be a little less heated, but even when things "got intense" in this thread it was never over the top. You folks are good people, is what I'm trying to say.

The problem you're discussing is one we've talked about in the studio as well. Without going into too much detail, there will be systems in place to help prevent some of the exploitative cases you've brought up. However, as a broader point, the only way to completely prevent a player from sparking into one of your town's NPCs is to lock off their families behind codes, as some folks have already mentioned.

If you want that level of certitude, you're going to have to make a coordinated effort of your own to attain it. We're not attempting to model it for you in the game's systems. We are, instead, building our model to not only allow for migration but to explicitly include it when it makes sense. (e.g. when NPCs are unsatisfied with conditions at their current location or are in danger as when displaced by war) So, in some sense "the hole this exploit uses" will remain open, because we want players to be able to start wherever they please, provided those choices are viable, and we want towns to have to deal with the sudden loss of a key resource or the sudden influx of people to support, such as in the case of refugees arriving at your gates because the next town over was raided by an army.

Those are generally good scenarios in terms of their effect on the game world and the narrative that spins out of its history. It may sound callous to say it, but we don't really have a vested interest in protecting you from calamity. As an old colleague of mine was fond of saying, "Adventure happens when things go wrong."

That said, we would prefer that if calamity befalls you it stems from inside the world rather than from outside influences such as a metagame strategy.

So we're looking at the cases where we don't want this behavior and we're building rules and safeguards to cover those. For example, when you create a character and the game suggests NPCs to spawn into, it will actively filter out NPCs in scenarios we don't want to be interrupted and you won't be able to actively filter them back in without their explicit family code.

The SP system is also a big part of our mitigation strategy, as you've rightly called out in this thread. SP isn't something you can buy, it has to be earned over time, and the vast majority of the NPCs that aren't teens are NTCs that will require some amount of SP to spark into. Coupled with the cost of those sparks, this means that taking over a town in the way suggested will require a substantial investment of time and money, one that scales with the size and development of the target settlement. That doesn't make it impossible, but it does make it unlikely in most cases and it does mean it gets increasingly more unlikely the further a settlement develops.

Anyway, I don't want to stop the conversation or anything, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we're thinking about this too!

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
4/25/2018 6:32:37 PM #94

@snipehunter

There are still plenty of exploitable content in that system that negates or completely metas away a few designs you yourself have discussed in the past.

We know to be come a master or grand master in a profession you need to learn the techniques native to the other tribes areas. Doesnt the ability for a large, organized, very influential group (in fame in game) to utilize the game SP mechanics to generate extra SP on their alt accounts (giving them inflated titles, having them do high yield SP tasks) allow for that group to simply take that alt's spark, NTC into a higher cost SP person in a particular profession in a general regional area targeted for that alt (and utilize more alts for the other regional areas) then just caravan themselves back to their point of origin effectively removing the need to actually interact with / trade with the communities of those areas and effectively stealing their higher skilled crafters leaving them with a form of loss? Is that the intended design? Is there no other way to prevent that from happening?

Couldn't a valid solution be to region lock accounts to where their characters are? IE if in the first life I spawn into the north as a Brudvir, that character and my 2 alts are locked to that region unless I actually move my Brudvir character in game to another region so that I can NTC into that region? The lock would only apply to NTC spawning or in other words spawning outside of your bloodline. Family you have sent to another area and you have the child code for would still be a viable option. Or doing a simple exponential increase in SP cost based upon the distance from where you have active characters, where your last character permadied, or where they were born? I am approaching this with the view point that I have a very large, very organized community and I fear what we would be able to do with that if the game mechanics allow for us to do it.

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

4/25/2018 6:51:22 PM #95

Thank you for the post Snipehunter. The lingering question on my mind after that post though is whether or not the development team has decided upon or even just simply discussed whether or not to allow SP's to be attached to the account or to the soul that was used in earning those SP's.

4/25/2018 7:03:08 PM #96

Posted By Bombastus at 12:00 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

Posted By mickdude2 at 07:39 AM - Wed Apr 25 2018

I am laying siege to a town. I or one of my lieutenants sparks into a fifteen year old, who costs no story points, and opens a gate or throws a rope ladder over the wall. For $25 (or whatever the cost of a spark is), I just won a siege. That is a mechanical exploit.

Why does this 15 year old have access to the gate during a siege? How are they able to avoid notice of the wall guards to throw a rope over the wall? How are you moving any significant members of your fighting force close to the gate without falling under fire from the wall's defenses?

There's no mechanical exploit there--unless your wall is guarded entirely by straw dummies, preventing a lone teenager from unraveling your defenses is a trivial matter.

If there's no way for citizens to open the gates from the inside, I can lock the gates whenever I want and turn cities into prisons.

Posted By Malais at 12:35 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

And you are missing my point. The NPC whether it dies, leaves on its own, has a player spark into it to play, or simply park somewhere it isn’t your NPC to control what happens to it.

First your arguement was key folks those with skills money and what not. Foils were given by me and others. Then you move on to 15 year old unimportant NPCs and using them to hurt the town by spying and opening the gates in a siege (or maybe that last one was someone else). Foils are given in that case as well.

Now we have a case of a single 15 year old NPC who becomes a statue more or less and doesn’t contribute to the town. That is $25.00 plus the cost of a soul for a single unimportant NPC to do nothing?

That is a serious reach for someone to sabatoge a settlement. Since you will likely lose more citizens due to emigration, murders, new players arriving to the game and misadventures than that.

I’m not sure at this point if you are reaching for reaching sake but really who in their right mind is going to spend 25.00 and tie up a soul slot just to park a single NPC who has no real skills or important position in your town?

You're definitely not reading what we're writing. This isn't a matter of controlling NPCs. If a mayor keeps on top of the hierarchy of needs and provides for his citizens, the NPCs shouldn't just walk away. An NPC abandoning a town or dying is a game mechanic driven by the mayor doing something wrong. Either they're not providing for the NPCs, or a neighboring town is doing a better job.

A person sparking into an NPC and killing them or walking off with them isn't the mayor failing at his part. He could be outperforming his neighbors and providing for all the needs of his people. At that point, its utilizing game mechanics in a manner they were not meant to be used, to damage others. Its an exploit.

And despite what Bombastus has indicated, losing one or two characters to this will be pretty devestating. Considering the average settlement will be a village and the average village will be 25 people strong, then losing even a few people would be crippling.

4/25/2018 7:34:43 PM #97

Posted By mickdude2 at 12:03 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

If there's no way for citizens to open the gates from the inside, I can lock the gates whenever I want and turn cities into prisons.

This is a video game. One does not have to open a door to travel from both sides. And even if they go for total door veracity, shouldn't the people guarding the door against invaders be able to let out one lone soul foolish enough to try and exit a town under siege? The sally port in Earthly defenses is used for almost exactly this purpose, and offers no real weakness in the total defensibility of the wall.

You're creating ancillary problems with relatively simple solutions by side-stepping the efficacy of a guard standing on the wall. None of these scenarios constitute an exceptional risk at all, provided other characters are acting to prevent them.

4/25/2018 7:37:26 PM #98

And despite what Bombastus has indicated, losing one or two characters to this will be pretty devestating. Considering the average settlement will be a village and the average village will be 25 people strong, then losing even a few people would be crippling.

As Snipe has mentioned above, losing people will happen for so many reasons that they have included systems to allow new NPCs to migrate in. At most this is a momentary setback which could have been had by anything from simple accidents to crime to literal acts of god.

4/25/2018 7:50:30 PM #99

Posted By Bombastus at 3:37 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

As Snipe has mentioned above, losing people will happen for so many reasons that they have included systems to allow new NPCs to migrate in. At most this is a momentary setback which could have been had by anything from simple accidents to crime to literal acts of god.

Also as Snipe indicated here and in the Q&A, this is a mechanical exploit that they have to mitigate. This isn't a nonissue like you've been making it out to be. This is something the developers have acknowledged as undesirable.

4/25/2018 8:09:33 PM #100

@Snipehunter

Thanks for weighing in!

I started this mostly just to get conversation going, and make sure it was something being thought about.

Glad to hear it is on your radar, and I look forward to the additional discussion you alluded to in the Q&A ;)

Thanks again!

Imgur

4/25/2018 9:29:24 PM #101

Posted By mickdude2 at 2:03 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

Posted By Malais at 12:35 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

And you are missing my point. The NPC whether it dies, leaves on its own, has a player spark into it to play, or simply park somewhere it isn’t your NPC to control what happens to it.

First your arguement was key folks those with skills money and what not. Foils were given by me and others. Then you move on to 15 year old unimportant NPCs and using them to hurt the town by spying and opening the gates in a siege (or maybe that last one was someone else). Foils are given in that case as well.

Now we have a case of a single 15 year old NPC who becomes a statue more or less and doesn’t contribute to the town. That is $25.00 plus the cost of a soul for a single unimportant NPC to do nothing?

That is a serious reach for someone to sabatoge a settlement. Since you will likely lose more citizens due to emigration, murders, new players arriving to the game and misadventures than that.

I’m not sure at this point if you are reaching for reaching sake but really who in their right mind is going to spend 25.00 and tie up a soul slot just to park a single NPC who has no real skills or important position in your town?

You're definitely not reading what we're writing. This isn't a matter of controlling NPCs. If a mayor keeps on top of the hierarchy of needs and provides for his citizens, the NPCs shouldn't just walk away. An NPC abandoning a town or dying is a game mechanic driven by the mayor doing something wrong. Either they're not providing for the NPCs, or a neighboring town is doing a better job.

A person sparking into an NPC and killing them or walking off with them isn't the mayor failing at his part. He could be outperforming his neighbors and providing for all the needs of his people. At that point, its utilizing game mechanics in a manner they were not meant to be used, to damage others. Its an exploit.

No I read exactly what I wrote. You missed a small part of the above yourself.

The NPC whether it dies, leaves on its own, has a player spark into it to play, or simply park somewhere it isn’t your NPC to control what happens to it.

As Snipehunter points out settlements will lose NPCs for a variety of reasons. One of which is players sparking into them. Whether that NPC because a player who wants to use a strong blacksmith as an adventurer and leaves, or wants to leave him as an OPC doing jumping jacks in the corner makes zero difference. It exists for a player to take over not to be a minion for the town mayor.

As Bombastus says if the loss of a single NPC throws your town into disorder you have other issues.

I’m confident as I’ve said all along this is something that will be tweaked in testing. But as has been said time and time again NPCs exist to eventually become players changing this fundamentally changes the design philosophy of NPCs.

4/25/2018 10:34:35 PM #102

Day one, identify a town you want to hamstring. Then spend extra sparks taking over regular child slots and set a stand here and just eat for a year opc script and tank the economy of the target town by denying them the ability to have active players spark into the open families in the town. Economy tanks, NPCs move away, that's all she wrote.

4/25/2018 10:35:30 PM #103

Posted By Adam Burrfoot at 11:32 AM - Wed Apr 25 2018

@snipehunter

There are still plenty of exploitable content in that system that negates or completely metas away a few designs you yourself have discussed in the past.

We know to be come a master or grand master in a profession you need to learn the techniques native to the other tribes areas. Doesnt the ability for a large, organized, very influential group (in fame in game) to utilize the game SP mechanics to generate extra SP on their alt accounts (giving them inflated titles, having them do high yield SP tasks) allow for that group to simply take that alt's spark, NTC into a higher cost SP person in a particular profession in a general regional area targeted for that alt (and utilize more alts for the other regional areas) then just caravan themselves back to their point of origin effectively removing the need to actually interact with / trade with the communities of those areas and effectively stealing their higher skilled crafters leaving them with a form of loss? Is that the intended design? Is there no other way to prevent that from happening?

Well, OK, a couple of things: You still have to earn your SP. If you give someone an important title, you aren't necessarily giving them fame to go with it. They have to act in that role to earn that fame, which means they aren't going to be earning SP any more quickly while wearing the title unless they actually perform the role. By implication, this means that when they spark-out to go capture some NTC you're losing someone important too.

Another thing to remember is that you can't earn SP as an OPC. You have to be actively online, engaged and doing things that are contributory to the world in some way to gain SP at all.

But the mechanic of NTCs isn't one we want to get rid of. There are lots of good reasons to want the feature in the game, and many of them are in service of the community itself. For example, it should encourage retention: A player who has contributed massively to the world and loses it all, say a king who is assassinated or a master smith who dies of old age the day after their heirs are killed in a raid, is going to be faced with starting over from scratch, but with the NTC mechanic, their prior contributions are at least rewarded somewhat by allowing them to cut out of some of the process. Likewise, someone clawing their way up from the bottom might look at jumping the social ladder via an NTC to get closer to the seat of power they want. Given that in some cases they may literally not be able to get any closer in a lifetime based on their circumstance, that ability might be the only reason they come back for another lifetime. And we, and I'd hope the whole community, want people to come back.

So, for us, the question isn't "do we include NTCs" but "how can we include NTCs in the most useful, least corruptible" way, which is definitely a challenge. I mentioned it in the Q&A, but we have many strategies in place already to deal with "casual" NTC griefing. You can't jump into an NPC in a "critical" situation such as a castle siege, a battle or a similarly singular challenge and the SP cost of sparking into an NTC scales pretty dramatically based on the evaluated "criticality" of that NPC. A master smith, for example, would be an expansive NTC take over, and not something that will be possible with a new account that's played only a single life. The same is true of a journeyman smith who happens to know a wide variety of techniques, recipes, and/or patterns.

That said, all of that just means the run up to executing your example is long and pulling it off is expensive, it doesn't mean what you're suggesting is impossible. I don't feel like we're done here, by any measure. Far from it. NTCs are here to stay, we need to keep thinking about this stuff.

Couldn't a valid solution be to region lock accounts to where their characters are? IE if in the first life I spawn into the north as a Brudvir, that character and my 2 alts are locked to that region unless I actually move my Brudvir character in game to another region so that I can NTC into that region? The lock would only apply to NTC spawning or in other words spawning outside of your bloodline. Family you have sent to another area and you have the child code for would still be a viable option. Or doing a simple exponential increase in SP cost based upon the distance from where you have active characters, where your last character permadied, or where they were born? I am approaching this with the view point that I have a very large, very organized community and I fear what we would be able to do with that if the game mechanics allow for us to do it.

So, a part of what I mentioned above actually makes this not work, I think. It's a great functional solution to the specific problem, but it invalidates part of the reason we want NTC sparking in the world: If we were to lock your NTC choices to the region your first character was in, we'd likely remove one of the motivations for folks to spark into an NTC, specifically I would imagine that folks want to see the whole world and sparking into an NTC after a long career in your "hometown" makes things easier for contributing players to do so. We like that and want to preserve that, if we can.

But yeah, I suppose that's all a really long winded way of saying "hey we're worried about this too and still thinking about it." I'll uh, try to use less words next time. ;)

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
4/26/2018 1:35:13 AM #104

Posted By Snipehunter at 1:05 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

So we're looking at the cases where we don't want this behavior and we're building rules and safeguards to cover those. For example, when you create a character and the game suggests NPCs to spawn into, it will actively filter out NPCs in scenarios we don't want to be interrupted and you won't be able to actively filter them back in without their explicit family code.

Something to mention, while reading these points would be those who take a little more subtle approach. While it might not be feasible to invest largely in griefing. It would be very valuable to Bot. Large numbers, rotating accounts, automated lowest level resource allocation causing a local drain of resources leading to market activity shifts.

for instance, Town A has a mine, all the iron is slowly mined and sold to Town B. Town B then crafts the raw material forward... Town B gets an inflated market, while Town A drops due to none of that income getting used locally.

An increase in Taxation wouldn't affect the bots as they are exporting the goods to the town over.

Purhaps you could set guards to check for a writ of permission, but could this be done automatically? would it be enforced to the point it would not be profitable to the real world traders?

4/26/2018 3:10:53 AM #105

Posted By Zelcovian at 6:35 PM - Wed Apr 25 2018

... for instance, Town A has a mine, all the iron is slowly mined and sold to Town B. Town B then crafts the raw material forward... Town B gets an inflated market, while Town A drops due to none of that income getting used locally. ...

What you are describing is the setup for a typical resource-exhaustion scenario in real life.

First Point: Town A would get an influx of cash because of the ore (or perhaps smelted iron, because of CoE crafting mechanics) it was selling to Town B. What is it going to do with that cash? Buy stuff it needs from some other town, including finished product like mining tools from town B. There is no collapse as long as Town A has iron ore to mine, and during that time Town A is a wealthy consumer of other towns' products that it doesn't make itself. It doesn't make them itself because it's packed with miners who make too much money from mining for it to be worthwhile to make other stuff.

If it ever is cost effective for a blacksmith to set up in Town A to take advantage of the cheap iron ore, it will happen. If that blacksmith is botted away, chances are another will soon take his place. That's because the demand for a local blacksmith is there, otherwise the first one wouldn't have had to be botted away, he would have left voluntarily.

Second Point: Bots might have temporary advantages, but permanent advantages will go to player characters whose players put as much time, effort, and intelligent play into them as possible. OPC bots will eventually lose out to actively played PCs. This will happen because all PCs eventually die, and because OPC bots don't earn story points with which to be able to take over NPCs of equivalent skill. A full-time OPC is one that will die with no story points.

... ...