COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Animal taming and general pet keeping

The Soul-Chamber/Chamberbot Q&A just finished, and I'd really like to give props to the devs, especially Rhaegys and Serpentius, for such a great job. Seeing as my question was #54 in line, the devs unfortunately didn't get around to it so here goes:

"How will animal taming work mechanics wise? I understand it will be part of the ranching skill tree, but to what extent will a person not focused on ranching per say be able to tame their pets (seeing as keeping pets probably will be incredibly common)? And to what extent will the wild life of Elyria be tameable?"

I see now that I in my question might have gotten the "ranching" skill tree and the "ranching" profession mixed up, but I am still curious to how it will work on the mechanics side of things, and to what extent animals will be tameable (like will some be off limits other than through player skill?).

11/30/2018 8:35:47 AM #1

Boop!

11/30/2018 1:28:24 PM #2

Posted By Unaa at 03:35 AM - Fri Nov 30 2018

Boop!

Bloody necromancers. When you think you have got them all and another performs a dark ritual out of no where....

"How will animal taming work mechanics wise? I understand it will be part of the ranching skill tree, but to what extent will a person not focused on ranching per say be able to tame their pets (seeing as keeping pets probably will be incredibly common)? And to what extent will the wild life of Elyria be tameable?"

The taming skill is a skill for taming. It would aid in ranching, but I don't know if it necessarily falls under ranching. If you just focus on taming, then you will grow in strength in terms of taming. I don't know if other skills exist that are a precursor to "taming" that need to be fulfilled (u need to know arithmetic before learning algebra).

Extent of taming isn't known as far as I know.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

12/3/2018 9:27:22 AM #3

Some animals and pets can be bought trough store and will be there with you when the game starts, but as far as i know about taming, with certain skill level you can tame certain animals. I imagine it wont be an one time action i guess you will have to persue an wild animal and give it a few tries before you can tame it or just capture keep it in your barn or stables and after some time it will be domesticated.

12/3/2018 9:39:05 AM #4

Animals will be located in a suitable habitat for their species. For example, the canis rabbit may live in a hollow, wolves may live in a den, and horses in a field. Some animals will be easier to tame than others. The canis rabbit is very aggressive and is far from domestication, but is still technically possible to tame given enough time and effort after it's been bred to be more docile.

Taming animals will be a skill in order to gain the trust of the animal. While there will be multiple ways to accomplish this, Jeromy "Caspian" Walsh has hinted that music will play a role, "music tames the savage beast."

Somewhere here is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xK4AbEVdEQA