COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Hrothi Underground Seas!

Who else would like to see massive underground seas where subterranean pirates pillage the posts along the coasts?

I think it would be awesome to have to navigate cavernous waters vast and dark with no stars to guide. Only cruel landmarks of dangerous stalagmites. The only place where the miscreant Hrothi who worship the vices proudly display their beards! The riches of the deep call!

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/22/2018 12:30:50 AM #1

Are you a hollow earth conspiracy theorist by chance?

Given that the Hrothi are the only ones who can see in the dark (underground only) it would be a very limited people who enjoy that type of gameplay. Despite that, an underground ocean would lead to issues with the tunneling system and flooding as illustrated in the latest Q&A on Twitch. If it wasn't for the problem with flooding, there would still be a problem with structural integrity.

5/22/2018 2:44:38 AM #2

Well Caspian has said on Discord that if you dig down deep enough you'd hit water instead of lava. So if you cleared enough away for underground seas (which would be a lot of freakin' stone/dirt), then... even if there aren't natural ones I suppose it could be possible to create them, albeit a massive undertaking.

I could see it as sort of being the inevitable result of underground mining resulting in underground seas eventually.

5/22/2018 6:23:22 AM #3

The problem is there is one water level in Elyria. If you dig down deep enough to find water that is below the water level, it's going to rise and flood the tunnel until it reaches the water level.

I'm not sure if you could be lucky enough to tunnel out of a cliff to connect your underwater lake with the ocean or how large of an entrance you could make with the cave to the outside world. Could you even mine the earth away while in a boat? I see a problem with sinking and practicality.

5/22/2018 6:42:04 AM #4

Challenge accepted!

Brash

5/22/2018 6:45:49 AM #5

During the world building Q&A, I'm pretty sure I recall the team saying that you won't be able to dig down and find water. This is partly because they won't be programming fluid dynamics, and partly because digging down below sea level and finding that static water just doesn't look all that great.

Unless a sea-adjacent cave is in the world at the time of launch, don't expect this to happen by player effort.

5/22/2018 7:00:25 AM #6

Yeah the water levels are fixed and you cant dig below them. however snipehunter specifically said that an underground sea isnt out of the question as a special biome.

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/22/2018 5:55:34 PM #7

💸💵💰Tiffany🔗Maliclot💰💵💸 - 05/15/2018 Oh hey if we were to mine deep enough vertically, would we hit lava?

Caspian - 05/15/2018 @💸💵💰Tiffany🔗Maliclot💰💵💸 no. You would hit water.

💸💵💰Tiffany🔗Maliclot💰💵💸 - 05/15/2018 Could you keep digging in the water?

Caspian - 05/15/2018 No. You cannot really dig below the water much. The water table is fixed.

Caspian - 05/15/2018 Water is tricky in games, especially online games. There is the chance for aquaducts, moats, or other Mann made water structures, but not channel or redirecting rivers.

Caspian - 05/15/2018 It comes down to the way water is typically implemented in games. Not as a fluid aim, but as a volume. As long as the volume is fixed, you're fine. But when the volume changes, such as with flooding or when the water goes over perfectly flat terrain, it breaks the volume.

5/22/2018 9:10:02 PM #8

Posted By Xerr at

Who else would like to see massive underground seas where subterranean pirates pillage the posts along the coasts?

Me!