COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Should I Coup De Grace?

This is a list of the top reasons why you should Coup De Grace:

1. They're your Spouse
  2. You think CDGing looks cool.
  3. Everyone else except you is a peasant.

7/17/2018 11:04:50 PM #1

Those are all invalid reasons. The only reason I see for CdG is to become famous or steal his/her stuff. And when you managed to kill that person, his/her stuff was probably inferior anyway.

I don't think many are that stupid to walk on the streets with a load of cash and no protection. So that only leaves "become famous".

7/17/2018 11:40:30 PM #2

Short answer would be no, you shouldn't.

If you CDG, you become more than a mugger. The gossip system allows your deeds to be known and the more (in)famous the deeds, the quicker and farther word-of-mouth will spread. You will become recognized and denied entry into settlements where you would normally have easy access to things like food and water. People can gather evidence from the scenes of your crimes and turn them into bounty tokens. So people will hunt you. You will eventually be hunted down and killed.

If you think you can deal with all that, then go for it.

7/18/2018 12:03:42 AM #3

On that third reason, only reasonable if you want a rebellion against yourself. In CoE, I imagine you'll have to keep the people happy if you want to keep your job.

Really the only good reasons to CdG would be to stop a would-be killer pursuing you from continuing to do so, giving you time to get away, and to kill enemy soldiers in battle.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

7/18/2018 12:13:39 AM #4

People will still do it, especially for economic or ideological reasons. If they are an agent of their Lord acting on his/her orders they could receive a pardon or perhaps they are using a disguise and want to steal something important. The average person probably won't have to worry about it much, though.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

7/18/2018 12:27:29 AM #5

I don't plan on starting any fights. I do plan on having to defend myself though. In that case, I am going to assume the other person wants me dead and I will CDG them in the unlikely event that I win the fight. People will need to learn that attacking comes with a high price.

7/23/2018 9:46:37 AM #6

Posted By Teland at 02:27 AM - Wed Jul 18 2018

I don't plan on starting any fights. I do plan on having to defend myself though. In that case, I am going to assume the other person wants me dead and I will CDG them in the unlikely event that I win the fight. People will need to learn that attacking comes with a high price.

A price of less than $2 depending on your standing in the dynasty or your rank.

7/23/2018 12:50:02 PM #7

Looking for a sense of humour in the responses

Nope could not find any

#1 may be a joke, but look deeply into your partners' eyes. You are now looking at the one person in all the world that is statistically most likely to kill you, for reals.

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23

7/23/2018 12:55:11 PM #8

Posted By protagonist at 2:50 PM - Mon Jul 23 2018

Looking for a sense of humour in the responses

Nope could not find any

#1 may be a joke, but look deeply into your partners' eyes. You are actually looking a the one person in all the world that is statistically most likely to kill you, for reals.

Ah come on! Mine was utterly funny.

7/23/2018 1:06:25 PM #9

Posted By Adiria at 04:46 AM - Mon Jul 23 2018

A price of less than $2 depending on your standing in the dynasty or your rank.

If you're unknown/commoner the price would work out to about 16 cents worth of play time.

7/23/2018 2:04:40 PM #10

I'll guess, the price will be higher, if you get the attacker arrested, found guilty (maybe he does the same more often than only against you) and be stripped off all his stuff to pay for his deeds plus being banished from the county ;) The price for dieing isnt really high for non-famous people.

Friend Code: 30EF47

7/23/2018 3:30:52 PM #11

I would totally CDG for no reason at all. I would CDG everything. Soil, barrels, trees... Those things don't talk to me, so how can they be valuable anyway?

7/23/2018 5:23:43 PM #12

Mercy is a privilege of the powerful.

By showing mercy, you reaffirm your own strength and more telling your control.

Will you admit weakness?

7/23/2018 5:55:10 PM #13

I agree that kindness requires strength. I wouldn't CDG on a Light character unless I had to do so. I wouldn't CDG on a Dark character unless I was paid to do so.

7/23/2018 5:55:49 PM #14

It's cute when you guys talk about mercy, philosophy and 'right and wrong'...

but I doubt most players would care about that. As long as CDGing someone doesn't put themselves at a disadvantage (maybe he got attacked first, maybe its in the wild and less chance of getting caught), then people wouldn't really care.

You get to loot the body/ You get to be an asshole on the internet/ The animation itself might be satisfying... All are valid reasons for a gamer.

alt text

7/23/2018 6:17:45 PM #15

Posted By HerbLord at 1:55 PM - Mon Jul 23 2018

It's cute when you guys talk about mercy, philosophy and 'right and wrong'...

but I doubt most players would care about that. As long as CDGing someone doesn't put themselves at a disadvantage (maybe he got attacked first, maybe its in the wild and less chance of getting caught), then people wouldn't really care.

You get to loot the body/ You get to be an asshole on the internet/ The animation itself might be satisfying... All are valid reasons for a gamer.

No ethics involved, just logic.

More often than not, its better to kill, due to potential rewards, removal of an obstacle, negating future punishment , or simply enjoyment. Ignoring these benefits and assuming an opportunity cost, is proof that one is strong enough to bear the additional burden of these costs.

Mercy is a privilege afforded to only those confident in their own power.