COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Ideas for Casual

It prolly won’t pertain to those that frequent the forums at this point in time, but what kind of play styles do you see casual gamers playing?

I tend to lean towards casual. But this game seems promising so I’d like to try it. I know I won’t be at the top of the leader boards or paving the way by any means. So what kind of good support roles do you see developing?

My interest would be in the market, if it’s truly dynamic. Just find a group and look for ways to make them money? :D

7/30/2018 10:17:12 PM #1

I'm looking at making a Brudvir adventurer/survivalist/gatherer. Like you, I don't expect to be able to put in the time to be at the top of the boards, so I'm just going to go with something that I'll enjoy, and that I don't have to physically be on a lot. If I enjoy the game and I'm on more often, all the better.

7/30/2018 10:46:50 PM #2

im sure casuals will find good homes amongst the various guilds. I suspect the nobility will require its "servants" to be a bit more active then most to see out their duties. whereas guilds will be more flexible and help each elyrian with their own personal goals as well as working towards shared goals of the guilds.

7/30/2018 10:49:43 PM #3

Yeah. I think optimised OPC scripts could be surprisingly effective in making up lost time while the player is offline. I dont presume it to better than players online progress but might mitigate the casualness more than most games.

7/30/2018 11:42:23 PM #4

I think there will be plenty of room for casual players! An important thing to remember about this game is that the typical person isn’t a hero, they’re a normal person doing normal person things. If all you care to do is explore and hunt, your only real concerns are a decent weapon and your next meal.

While the direction of the world is driven by the people who want to push for more, I really feel like the majority of people will be casual.

7/31/2018 5:18:32 PM #5

I feel almost sorry for anyone who plans to play casual. They will be largely underdeveloped NPCS who wander around unskilled or incapable of learning and will be a drag upon society being rarely played and falling behind all those around them until the OPC dies.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

7/31/2018 5:32:57 PM #6

I think their are many different casual professions to do, and as long as you do what you enjoy, thats all that matters

7/31/2018 5:34:53 PM #7

I say the following as someone who has a job, and a life outside of the PC.

Casuals will be eaten alive in CoE. If you are a noble (like I am) you are in effect an absentee landlord. If you are in OPC mode when your domain is attacked by players you are screwed unless you have a support team around you who are not casual and are logged in. In which case why would they need you?

As for crafters and regular citizens same deal. OPC scripts will keep you alive but you will not advance your skills unless you are actively logged in. This means you will always be behind the skill curve. Those who are power gamers will always be the legendary level skill holders.

Anyone who says you don’t need to be logged in 40 hours a week to be on the bleeding edge or to work their way up the social ranking ladder is either naive or is flat out lying.

Now that said if you don’t want to be king, hold legendary status, or have a gamer guild around you who are power gamers you can still accomplish many great and fun things. You just have to temper your expectations.

7/31/2018 5:45:31 PM #8

Yeah I understand that, you get what you put into it.

And there will certainly be a disparity between those who log many hours and those that don’t.

But I’ve just never been the type to log an abundant amount of hours. I figure a good support role that I enjoy will be good enough for me. Let the truly committed go for fame and top scores, I’ll be on the sidelines cheering for my homies.

8/3/2018 1:04:39 AM #9

It's a big dynamic world that should have niche for most any type of playstyle. Some might be easier than others, but all should be able to function in some capacity. As some have pointed out (in various ways) you aren't going to be able to do everything anyway, even if you are on 24/7. So it's all about reasonably managing your expectations and it sounds like you are. Be who you want to be and be happy in your choices. At the end of the day, it is still just a game.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

8/3/2018 1:15:04 AM #10

I think a farming role would be super supportive. Everyone needs to eat and you can help your settlement tremendously by keeping them from starving.

8/3/2018 1:19:49 AM #11

I actually think coe will appeal very well to casuals far more then most mmo's do. The game is not designed for everyone to become legendary heroes or kings. the vast majority of players will be peasants.

Think about how in most mmo's your expected to min max your character play the right build and grind raids for the top gear, This isn't that kind of game at all. If you just want to wander around or do a bit of farming then you can and that's a perfectly valid way of playing the game. The positions that require you to put in a lot of time and effort will be very few in number.

8/3/2018 5:51:22 AM #12

Posted By Malais at 03:34 AM - Wed Aug 01 2018

Anyone who says you don’t need to be logged in 40 hours a week to be on the bleeding edge or to work their way up the social ranking ladder is either naive or is flat out lying.

And that is why they should change the way OPCs work. This game is aimed at older gamers. Those gamers that can only be on a few hours a night? Good luck to that working out well.

But then I dislike the term casual. I have always thought of myself as casual, yet I normally played more hours than my hardcore raiding mates. That would come online maybe 2-3 a night, do to whatever the latest raids are. Who is casual there?

8/4/2018 5:03:45 PM #13

The game is probably going to be full of people who are unskilled, because some who want to play the game may only come on sparingly. It will be all the more important to pick your workers, if you want an experienced person to do a job. Just like in real life, most people don't excel. Many just make ends meat to survive.

Alt text - can be left blank

8/25/2018 3:58:52 PM #14

I agree that this game is aimed at older players, and those younger players who do not want to run around and wittingly destroy everything around them.

Be nice to play a game like that. Too many other games (like LIF) cannot get the balance right.

8/25/2018 4:42:37 PM #15

There’s lots of options for unskilled and skilled players. Basically any medieval job would be possible. Many counties focus on trade, my own county does too. Most importantly just try to have fun.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX