COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Music and Instruments

Good evening all!

So, I know everyone is focused on the event (which is fantastic so far, by the way), but I wanted to ask a quick question about a particular paragraph from the recent production update, namely, this:

"Sadly, playing of instruments is not in scope of our current release, but we're thinking about how we want to implement it. While some of these sweet instruments may not be playable at launch, we'll be more than ready for the advancement of musical arts to take place in-game."

This is a little vague as to what is happening when.

Will the "playing of instruments" not be in at all? In which release? Are only some instruments included, but not others? Music is one of the main branches on the "skill flower", is it now being put on the back-burner?

Also, overall, which phase of testing are we talking about - in general? All this stuff seems to be in regards to the UE4 engine, are there take-aways from this update that are relevant to Vox Elyria/Pre-Alpha testing (we are still doing VE at some point, right)?

Thank you much, and keep up the great work!

Imgur

8/6/2018 9:32:49 AM #1

waves to Marovec

I'm obviously interested in the scope of music mechanics that will be in the game as well.

Since the "current release" was mentioned in the thread regarding progress on CoE: Release 0.4.0. then it's likely that is what they were mentioning.

8/6/2018 11:29:17 AM #2

Odd thing to mention missing from a early alpha. l got the impression it was going to be no music playing untill researshed and implemented at some point after actual game release.

8/6/2018 1:32:33 PM #3

While other bardic qualities interest me as well, a lack to produce music would be quite a downside for me.

8/6/2018 2:38:22 PM #4

My take is that it is still a work in progress at this time, but that they also wanted to show the pictures of what might be possible without getting everybody overhyped about it and expecting more than they are currently able to deliver.

I'm sure it is in the works, but it sounds like it is not at the top of the list. Looked to me like they are progressing out from basic needs, like food and water, before evolving more of the arts skills, like music and painting.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

8/6/2018 9:38:28 PM #5

It was "the current release" combined with "some instruments may not be in at launch" that clouded the issue a bit for me, so I was kinda curious where they stood.

I definitely don't expect every instrument under the sun to be in at launch, however I would expect the music system to be fully fleshed out with a decent selection of "basic" instruments.

Imgur

8/7/2018 4:42:15 PM #6

yea I imagine they will make simple flutes, lyres, and the like available but nothing to crazy at first

8/7/2018 4:44:52 PM #7

As it's on the skill tree I'm optimistic as well that they're working on the system I'm thinking they may hold out on releasing all instruments at launch so that players can discover how to make some of the more complicated ones over time as it would be a little weird to have people living in a basic dwelling with animal hide clothes but with the equivalent of a grand piano sitting there in the corner ;) so as Marovec said above I imagine we'll have the basic instruments with room for progression into more complicated instruments down the line

8/8/2018 1:13:26 AM #8

First I think that SBS just needs to introduce the most basic of instruments and then open up more complex instruments as research and tech allows to buy themselves some time to do it right from the start.

Also I was not a fan of their initial design of the completely random rock band approach and really hope that music in general is much more rich than their initial design like the other systems.

I also hope that SBS does not waste money on making a sound track either as this game should rely on actually being able to hear what is going on around you and being situationally aware of sounds going on around you all the time.

So I would rather them spend money on consulting and having musicians write music which is actually played by bards/musicians in game over a soundtrack.

But I also hope that each instrument and general instrument type does slightly different things with real songs that offer something slightly different that when played by a band offers an overall effect.

Which relies on the following instument types:

String family

Violin Viola [vee-OH-lah] Cello (violoncello) [CHEL-low] Bass (double bass, contra bass) [rhymes with “face’]

Woodwind family

Flute, Piccolo Oboe, English horn Clarinet, Bass clarinet Bassoon, Contrabassoon Saxophones

Brass family

Trumpet Horn (French horn) Trombone Tuba

Keyboards and Harp

Celesta [cheh-LESS-tah] Piano Harpsichord Organ Synthesizer Harp

Percussion family

Timpani (kettledrums) [TIM-pa-nee] Snare drum Bass drum Cymbals Tambourine Triangle Xylophone Glockenspiel Chimes Marimba Vibraphone (vibes) plus other things to hit, scrape, and shake

Voice Types Soprano high female voice Mezzo-soprano medium female voice Alto (contralto) low female voice Countertenor very high male voice Tenor high male voice Baritone medium male voice Bass low male voice

I think that songs should carry a level of complexity or difficulty based on player and character skill by skill levels.

Novice (0% - 29%)
Apprentice (30% - 39%)
Journeyman (40% - 49%)
Expert (50% - 59%)
Artisan (60% - 69%)
Renowned (70% - 79%)
Master (80% - 89%)
Grandmaster (90% - 98%)
Legendary (99% - 100%)

I think that at its most basic level music should start with a simple to play tempo and chord makeup which allows for both beginners or experts to play while either in a bar or marching into war.

If a bard is playing an instument and is marching they are stuck with an automatic difficulty with moving and playing a song. The more complex the song the more difficult it is to play on the move and keep time with hitting every single note correctly and fully generating the desired effect.

So bards need to be able to play a variety of song difficulties that can actually be played in battle. Which is completely different than either sitting in a bar or also in potenitally a hall.

So I think that there should be 10 different songs per skill tier that any instrument can play its part that does something a little different that adds to the total effect as more instruments are introduced to the game.

And also 12 different tribal songs with 10 tiers. Each level introducing a faster tempo or potentially more notes to play which require higher levels of player skill in addition to character skill.

With each note in the song adding a point for a stat or regen or effect. Where with each skill level from 1-100 creating a longer lasting regen that wears off after you leave the presence of the bard by the last song they played. Then each instrument type being devoted to adding more points to a particular stat or play type.

Such as a complex fast paced song by a harp creating a mentually stimulating effect which might help give a learning bonus vs playing drums to get your adrenaline pumping as you march into battle using percussion instruments which could do anything from give haste or any number of things when combined with another instrument like horns.

Or allowing the players to make their own songs that adhere to the skill tiers in what complexity could be used when making a song with the notes all attached to specfic bonuses and the scales having different effects in the major and minor keys. With the tempo of the song being tied to the tiers as well.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/12/2018 6:41:02 PM #9

I paid packages for one of my alts in the past because I wanted to be a wandering bard. They introduced first a "lyre" that you could pay with the first "love boat" package introduced. That I bought for the lyre. Than they introduced a second "love boat", but the lyre was replaced by a harp (not such an easy instrument to craft), that I bought again with cash from the shop. There was also a special "bard" package fitted for a travelling bard. So I spent cash in the shop on items that will not be up at start? Did they think about the package content that is offered in the cash shop? Really selling music instruments and than tell "they will not be available at launch because of technical problems". A lyre is quite basic as music instrument, harps are not.

8/14/2018 10:50:25 PM #10

Posted By Kaith at 11:41 AM - Sun Aug 12 2018

I paid packages for one of my alts in the past because I wanted to be a wandering bard. They introduced first a "lyre" that you could pay with the first "love boat" package introduced. That I bought for the lyre. Than they introduced a second "love boat", but the lyre was replaced by a harp (not such an easy instrument to craft), that I bought again with cash from the shop. There was also a special "bard" package fitted for a travelling bard. So I spent cash in the shop on items that will not be up at start? Did they think about the package content that is offered in the cash shop? Really selling music instruments and than tell "they will not be available at launch because of technical problems". A lyre is quite basic as music instrument, harps are not.

Show me where they said the words you just quoted.

I'll repeat what they really said and emphasize a few points.

"Sadly, playing of instruments is not in scope of our current release (0.4.0), but we're thinking about how we want to implement it. While some of these sweet instruments may not be playable at launch, we'll be more than ready for the advancement of musical arts to take place in-game."

So, why are you being so dramatic?

Source:https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/27022/Production-Update-From-Pre-To-Alpha

8/14/2018 11:21:29 PM #11

I thought they need to flesh out each tribes type of music before working on the act of playing a instrument. My 2cents

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

8/23/2018 7:04:34 PM #12

I would love to see players who are interested in music to be able to play for others using in game features.

8/23/2018 7:24:22 PM #13

Posted By Azzerhoden Razeri at 12:04 PM - Thu Aug 23 2018

I would love to see players who are interested in music to be able to play for others using in game features.

I might spend quite a bit of time traveling so I feel like being able to play music might make the journey feel more.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC