COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
why is the map generation taking so long?

Before summer they said they hoped to do map voting in early summer and domain/settlement selection in late summer but summer is almost over and clearly neither of those are happening in the next couple of weeks.

I mean I just wanna know what's the hangup. and why they waited until now to even start making the map generation tool.

8/10/2018 3:42:54 AM #1

Because development takes time. Estimates are hard to hit. It will get here when it gets here.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

8/10/2018 6:47:26 AM #2

I think the map generation tool has been around for a while. What's probably taking time is tweaking it so that it generates the kinds of maps that are fair and playable, and adding bells and whistles so that the small-scale stuff is generated correctly.

There may actually be a pool of candidate maps right now, but there may be uncertainties about the voting mechanisms that are preventing SBS from starting map selection. For example, whatever caused the suspension of the Searing Plague event could be a killer for map selection, because there appear to me to be similarities in the infrastructure needed for the two events.

8/10/2018 6:56:08 AM #3

You know everything they said on map voting was random guessing. Last I heard it was coming along nicely. It's not like they are only working on one thing either. Everything takes time.

8/10/2018 10:40:57 AM #4

Don't pay attention to dates. Go play other games and comeback in a year maybe? Or keep an eye on your emails.

If you noticed, they are terrible on dates. The original projection for alpha was the end of 2017. It will come out when it comes out.

8/10/2018 11:26:57 AM #5

Also, I imagine that the searing plague event is delaying it, because one possible result is that there are plaguelands scattered about the world if we fail, and I'm sure that they want to take that into account.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

8/14/2018 6:54:02 AM #6

I dunno how plagued biomes would account into it. My impression is that while they might use different art resources (like more withered flora or drabber color palettes) and host different AI behavior, I don't see what would warrant the world construction needing to take them into account since they allegedly don't add anything new.

8/14/2018 10:41:52 AM #7

I world generation itself is probably done or near as damn it, as in the computer knows where things go and why (for the most part). It's making the world not a set of numbered tables and computer code but instead, a visual world that would be able to show those picking the starting continents what each biome was (easily via essentially a fantasy google map) that'll take the most time.

On top of that, there could be timeline issues. If SbS wants to release VoxElyria (at least the first iteration) before they allow continent selection we will have to wait until the VoxElyria program is released even if the continent generation tool is capable of churning out a thousand new worlds a day.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/14/2018 12:37:20 PM #8

I suppose they've been programming the plague event. shrug

8/14/2018 12:44:17 PM #9

Just FYI: The Searing Plague event isn't delaying any of the other work they are doing. Its listed in the FAQ. Different team working on TSP and Map Generation.

8/14/2018 12:51:54 PM #10

Posted By CaptainSeli at 2:44 PM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Just FYI: The Searing Plague event isn't delaying any of the other work they are doing. Its listed in the FAQ. Different team working on TSP and Map Generation.

Which is odd, as Caspian himself has claimed different. (Caspian stated that he is one of the people working on map generation and he has stated he has been working on the searing plague event) [07/20/2018: (...)Brizanda and I have mostly finished up all the back-end change required, but I've got some refactoring to do. Orlando and Death are finishing up the front-end changes required.(...) The even extended the scope: 07/16/2018:I finished implementation last weekend, but this week we changed the scope since I implemented it so quickly. I think it's much better now.]

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

8/14/2018 2:57:23 PM #11

Posted By Logain at 05:51 AM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Posted By CaptainSeli at 2:44 PM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Which is odd, as Caspian himself has claimed different. (Caspian stated that he is one of the people working on map generation and he has stated he has been working on the searing plague event) [07/20/2018: (...)Brizanda and I have mostly finished up all the back-end change required, but I've got some refactoring to do. Orlando and Death are finishing up the front-end changes required.(...) The even extended the scope: 07/16/2018:I finished implementation last weekend, but this week we changed the scope since I implemented it so quickly. I think it's much better now.]

When it comes to "who is on which team" Caspian is the exception to the rule of one person, one team. Caspian, as head of the company, plays a role in just about everything. Some folks also donated their spare time to the event, but in Caspian's case it's literally just that he has his hand in everything here.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 6:27:47 PM #12

Well Caspian also said that "the team put lots of efforts in creating the plague event". Maybe its to explain why some races are more poison or disease resistent or so? But its already known what tribe is more poison resistant.

8/14/2018 6:46:07 PM #13

Posted By Kaith at 11:27 AM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Well Caspian also said that "the team put lots of efforts in creating the plague event". Maybe its to explain why some races are more poison or disease resistent or so? But its already known what tribe is more poison resistant.

Yep, the "team" in this case is the community and outreach team. They work on the website, manage discord and the forums and are responsible for promos, events and engaging you awesome folks.

They're much more sophisticated than us barbarians working on the production of the game. ;)

• Snipehunter
8/15/2018 7:12:22 AM #14

I'd also be willing to wager that the plague event is a test for some of the stuff that the production "barbarians" have been working on.

8/15/2018 8:12:51 AM #15

I believe it will finalize after the current event, "if" the plague wins they'll need to prepare the maps for the extra biome.