COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A suggestion on how to balance housing security and burglary

The problem

I have an idea that could serve as a basis for providing a balance between housing security and the feasibility of house burglary/deviant playstyle.

The main concern is how to ensure that players can rely on their private housing as a place of refuge and secure storage while still allowing other players the ability to break in and steal things. There must be a balance struck between housing security and deviant playstyle.

If housing security is not robust enough, the game runs of the risk of having rampant thievery occur, where deviant players, alone or organized, go down the street serially robbing houses. This will break the sense that housing is a private area that players can rely on for security and refuge and hamstring gameplay as players will not trust the security of their own homes. On the other hand, making housing impenetrable to unwelcome visitors and its contents untouchable cuts off a lot of gameplay possibilities from ever being realized.

So, how is a balance achieved?

There are already some aspects of CoE that mitigate the ease house burglary. Settlements will most likely be tight-knit – where everybody knows each other, making burglary a risky crime. NPCs are frequently walking around to witness crime. House traps, guards, and locks will add surmountable barriers. Another limit is carrying capacity, thieves can only take so much.

However, this still doesn’t absolutely prevent a determined group of players from strip-looting a whole street of people’s homes. It’s still possible. And on the fun-ness scale, this is not fun. Nobody wants to log in to find all their hard-earned valuables gone and even the sheets off their very bed taken. I played on some UO custom servers which had an insecure housing mechanic – and this was a real issue. New players would roll thieves and go to town robbing houses. It was a hard mechanic to balance.

I don’t think house burglary makes bad-gameplay. In fact, I think it could be something very cool. Perhaps a would-be burglar is an agent looking to get eyes on secret documents locked away in a noble’s study. Perhaps a collector wants to get his hands on a rare artifact sitting in the vault of a merchant’s warehouse. Or may a local thief gang have heard there’s a stash of jewels in a patrician’s townhouse that needs taking. This type of deviant gameplay, targeted stealing, is a much more desirable, fun type of gameplay that contributes to the storytelling that CoE aims to achieve than just mass looting of random houses. These types of situations, where thieves have a specific target, goal, and challenge to overcome is exciting, immersive, and fun compared to random house looting.

My suggestion

So, how can CoE steer deviant players to this type of “smart” burglary? I have a suggestion.

Consider “secure storage.” Every building gets a certain cap to how many items can be securely “locked down.” These items must all be in the same container(s), which has a certain storage limit. These containers and their contents are untouchable except by the owner and authorized characters. However, any other item in the house is fair game to be stolen.

Certain items, such as relics, documents, cannot be securely stored. There’s a distinct limit to how much currency can be securely stored as well.

This will hopefully have the following results:

Poorer players, who do not own so much, will be able to fit a larger proportion of their wealth into secure storage. This makes them much less prone to losing everything to a thief. Furthermore, the fact that a greater proportion of their wealth is stored securely makes them less likely to be targeted by the burglar. The risk/reward ratio would just not be worth the risk of punishment going after poor farmers or slum-houses. For a few coppers, a would-be burglar would be risking execution if caught – which translates to real money for the spirit-loss taken. Since there is less to protect from theft, the poorer player doesn’t have to invest as much into housing security – such elaborate traps and guards. Perhaps just some good locks will do.

However, richer players who have big houses or commercial buildings can only keep a much smaller proportion of their wealth in secure storage. The concentration of more unsecure wealth makes them a more attractive target for burglars. Therefore, they will have to spend more wealth on housing security, traps, guards, and the like. The combination of higher levels of unsecure wealth and housing security will make a successful burglary more rewarding, yet more difficult. Robbing a bank would be extremely lucrative but require Mission: Impossible levels of complexity. Thieves will have to mark their targets, case the place they want to rob, gather intelligence, plan, and execute a successful break-in and theft. The stakes would be real, failure probably means perma-death in the hang-man’s noose, while success means pulling off a daring plan full of risks. Doesn’t that sound a lot more fun?

A good analogy would be progressive taxation. Poorer people are taxed (or stolen from, hehe) at a smaller rate, because it impacts their total amount of wealth more. Richer people are taxed (or stolen from) higher, because it impacts them less. Using this mechanic could steer burglar-players towards targeting richer players' housing with well-planned, selective burglary due to influencing the combination of potential reward and risk.

Anyways, this is just a theoretical idea. Tell me what you think! Feel free to add additional ideas, criticize, and discuss!

8/10/2018 9:38:41 PM #1

that's an interesting thought but the protection of money could be backed up by%. As an example, anyone can protect a fixed percentage of the same would be the same regardless of whether poor or rich, since the yield is still higher in the rich. Or one makes the punishment not from the value but from the total fortune, then the punishment would have been robbed with a poor man who became higher than with a rich one.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

8/11/2018 6:07:55 AM #2

I'm glad you shared you opinion and thoughts on this matter. In my humble opinion, I'm afraid its too immersion breaking and mechanically, this really looks like a 'make deviancy (robbery) non-existent post, disguised as a balanced proposition post.'

Being able to fully secure things, no matter how small the amount, within your house with zero possibility of it being stolen is pure immersion breaking.

Anyone who's played MMO's for any length of time knows, 100% that gamers 'game' the systems, so the below senarios are without a doubt going to happen if given the chance.

You want farmers to have more ability to store things safely because they are poor. If they are poor, then they will more than likely be able to store everything they own within the 'safety cap' of their house, let alone just build another shackhouse and abuse the system. Making deviancy (robbery) a non-viable playstyle.

This effect is compounded when you apply it to "rich" players who can just build multiple houses on their land and safely store everything within the 'safety cap' of every house, making deviancy (robbery), again, a non existent play-style.

A "rich" player outside and inside the game can just make as many "poor" alts as they wish and have the benefit of storing their "rich" characters possession within the poor alt's house that has a secured safety cap bonus. Again, making deviancy (robbery) a non-viable playstyle.

To me, the system you suggested is rife for abuse and unjustly punishes deviant players.

Robbers will only have so much carrying capacity to begin with, along with "skills" player and character, picking locks (doors and crates), dodging guards, pets, traps, owners, random streetwalkers (no not the 'working kind') going about their business (player or NPC), carry lock picking tools, trap disarming tools, poison to knock out your guard pets, survival supplies, disguises and weapons. THIS is the balance.

I believe the above mentioned mechanics from SbS are enough to keep things balanced, so I can't suggest anything more than what has already been explained to us by SbS on Deviancy (robbery) balance thus far.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

8/24/2018 6:37:20 PM #3

Wouldn't the presence of guards address this issue?

8/24/2018 6:58:00 PM #4

I don't know about you guys but deviancy in Kingdom Come Deliverance was difficult, if you wanted to truly achieve stealing without getting caught. The guards patrolling at night with torches had eagle eyes, I swear. I think it's very possible to make deviancy the high-skill niche it's meant to be. It's been said they want 10-12% of the population to be deviant, and so that's a baseline of the minimum that includes NPCs.

I read that as, 10-12% of the population has very specific skills. If someone's looking for ransom I can tell you they don't have money, but what they will have are a very particular set of skills. Skills they acquired over very long lifetimes. Skills that make me a nightmare for commoners. If you appease them, that'll be the end of it. They will not look for you, they will not pursue you, but if you don't, they will look for you, and when they find you, and they will kill you.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

8/24/2018 7:08:19 PM #5

Robbers and thieves will generate excellent storys and conflict. We need to see Deviancy as a beginnig of somethig and not an end to something.

8/24/2018 7:18:43 PM #6

I think the idea of a "secure storage" that is immune from deviancy is contrary to the player run free-form conception of COE. There should not be a mechanic that makes property immune from theft.

Rather, there should be (and I think, are) mechanics to make theft very hard. The player built dungeon concept (DJ 15) describes many different robust and buildable security systems -- as well as dynamic measures (like guards and traps).

It might be cost-prohibitive for every player to build a defended vault -- but that could be an opportunity for banking. There could be bailment contracts with banks, and the bank could provide for a very secure location and a promise of reimbursement if something is stolen despite their efforts -- for a fee. That would be a solution far more in line with both the described mechanics and the conceived immersion.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/1/2018 8:51:34 PM #7

My dude. The game is going to be fine. Your locks just need to be ahead of the deviant curve of lock picking capability. People that can't afford high quality locks should use a public storage facility that would be developed by the mayor or the count. People that live the life style of thievery, and don't target good targets will end up having to pay lots of real life money to keep doing those things and getting caught by the law.

I am not saying it's impossible or people will not be able to raid hamlets or small settlements that don't have the logistic capability of secure trade or secure storage. But this is a business that most people need to have within their domain is a way to secure peoples possessions and ways to get to them in state of emergency when people are going to be huddled around a few inns in time of war.

This problem can be solved by a myriad of ways both private and public ways people will go about solving the issue of weak targets that may or may not have valuable things. The key here is most buildings won't have anything too valuable that would be raided or could be raided.

The town's security is levied on everyone that is involved in the settlement and perhaps they may have some help with the public storage if they want to have that option with some one like a count.

Nobility's main job and to a lesser degree mayors job is to protect the vassals within the domain/city during times of emergency. The times without emergency they're tasked with protecting people possessions and property, the main reason why people will want to live in each and every-ones domain.

Those that work within a hamlet for farms and for mining or forestry will likely not have their main vested interest secured within the local area that their hamlet is. They will store their things remotely. In wurm online the mines for bigger cities can be 10 or 20 minutes away. You need to think about what you are doing logically don't put it on the game system to make you have a false sense of security. We, with what they have talked about, have all the tools at our disposal to protect our things, loosely akin to how we protect our things in real life.

Places that are weak to be raided by 10-20 people aren't going to have their valuables in that location. One raid shouldn't be enough to put an entire establishment out of business.