COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Genetics: Recessive Genes?

Genetics will play an interesting role in the breeding of creatures as well as producing heirs for ourselves.

In real life some genes are dominant while others are recessive and when they both come into play, the dominant one will be the one that shows up in offspring.

Is this something that will be a part of CoE? Or will all genes be treated equally so there will be a random 50% chance of either one appearing in offspring?

8/18/2018 9:29:34 AM #1

Liquid, is that you?!

I believe the dev's have said your children will inherit the strongest traits of their parents. If they both have red hair, the child is likely to have red hair.

This could mean if weakness to heat or cold is a strong trait, the child may be vulnerable to heat or cold.

If both parents are resistant to disease, the child will likely also be resistant to disease.

NA-W "Angelica"

8/18/2018 3:08:45 PM #2

Genes are only part of the equation when it comes to children though. You are able to somewhat customize your characters appearance (both its character as well as its looks). The customization is limited to what your genes allow, but this is not necessarily only the dominant part (from what I understood).

Hrothi town looking for stonemasons, miners, lumberjacks and blacksmiths.

8/18/2018 7:30:45 PM #3

I think it will be more like Sims genetics than Mendelian genetics.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/19/2018 5:23:48 AM #4

At one point for character creation they said that you will be given random genes from each parent and then can choose between those. If you didn't like that you'd be able to reroll the genes once.

Outside of character creation however, if I'm producing NPC offspring, will it be random or will the dominant or "strongest" win out?

For example, let's say I have 2 brown hair genes, the other parent has 2 red hair genes. This means that every child will have 1 brown hair gene and 1 red hair gene. Will all of our children have the same color, that of the dominant gene, or will there be a 50% chance of them having either in this game?

8/20/2018 3:19:54 AM #5

for animals I believe IIRC they have mentioned "genetics-based" breeding, not sure how in depth it will be but I sure hope they pull it off

8/22/2018 7:59:39 PM #6

Either way, many charts will be made. Many charts! How the genetics work will determine just how we'll have to go about the breeding process to get what we want.

8/24/2018 1:58:11 PM #7

Been re-reading the DJs and it occured to me when reading DJ#2 with the soul mate portion what happens if your soulmate is the opposite sex and you can potentially marry them and produce children with your soulmate?

Once you realize your soulmate is close enough and you find each other you gain mutual benefeits and share the same destiny. You are also attuned to the other soul and share memories, experiences, and skill. You will also always have sufficient spirit to find your way back to your body in their presence as well. Your soulmate could also end up being your nemesis too if your affinities are opposed.

But what happens if your affinities are aligned and you are able to marry your soulmate and create offspring with them? Technically you are combining both halves of sepperated souls together and it makes me wonder what happens then or if a child of two soul mates also shares in the bonuses of the parents.

Which makes me wonder if it changes traits or genetics in any way if such a thing occurs.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/25/2018 6:21:26 AM #8

For soulmates, it is linked directly to the souls themselves, which can continue to be reincarnated in different bodies. So it would be possible for soulmates to meet, marry, and have kids as you said, but the soul doesn't alter their bodies genetics at all. In fact, after one of you passes away, you could reincarnate in your child as an heir and then continue being soulmates but as a parent and child instead.