COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
PVP ?

I don't know if this has been asked..most likely it has but i just want to know anyway. i keep hearing this and that about CoE.. what im hearing is that the game punishes pvp players...is this true?

9/7/2018 7:00:41 PM #1

Kind of a loaded way to phrase it but I would suggest reading up on Crime and Punishment.

CoE punishes dumb gankers while giving those willing to learn and work a bit the tools needed via the deviant tree the ability to possibly get away with murder.

Attempted murder is a criminal offense, and a witness (which might include the victim) may choose to issue a bounty token upon the transgressor. When someone dies, there is a 2.5-hour lock on their spirit loss, so players can only lose two days of play-time per 2.5 hours. However, there is no cap on spirit loss for committing crimes. So if one player kills another three times in a row within 2.5 hour period, and is caught, they will suffer for a minimum six days of spirit loss, despite the victim serving only two.

If a player becomes known as a griefer - that is, if they develop a very negative in-game reputation - others can refuse to let them into their settlements. As those players need to eat, drink, sleep, etc., they would no longer have such easy access to those resources. Stuck in the wild with no food, no water, and no support structure, griefers quickly realize that the game's social mechanics does not support their activities.

Additionally, the punishment for a crime accounts for the Fame of the person wronged. Because more famous players have a higher spirit loss when they die, murdering a King, for example, incurs a higher penalty. The punishment for killing a king and being captured and convicted is roughly two months of game time. So criminals that attempt to harm royalty must be either very smart or very brave.

9/7/2018 7:06:32 PM #2

Common understanding seems to be that PvP = mindless hack 'n' slash against other players. It is sooooo much more, intrigue, business, contracts, espionage, rumours, plots, u name it.

9/7/2018 7:20:26 PM #3

Thank you for your responses

9/7/2018 9:17:10 PM #4

Posted By Kurko at 9:06 PM - Fri Sep 07 2018

Common understanding seems to be that PvP = mindless hack 'n' slash against other players. It is sooooo much more, intrigue, business, contracts, espionage, rumours, plots, u name it.

This ^

The game is based around PvP. Kingdom against Kingdom, crafters guild against crafters guild, thief against law enforcement.

Brash

9/7/2018 10:38:20 PM #5

That really depends on what the term "PvP" and the term "punishment" mean to you.

If PvP means mindlessly killing and/or harassing other players and "punishment" means the rest of the world trying to serve justice to you, then yes, PvP is punished. Just like you will get punished in real life for randomly killing or hurting people.

However, since Elyria is much like a simulation, every region will have their own laws and their own law enforcement, and while most regions probably will have laws against random violence, there will be lots of opportunity for PvP, sometimes even legal PvP.

You could be an outlaw, running/hiding from law enforcement and robbing/killing other players.
You could be an assassin, killing specific players for a fee.
You could be a mercenary, helping a lord in their conquest or defence.
You could be a guard, protecting an individual or their goods.
You can be a soldier, protecting your County, Duchy, Settlement or Kingdom.
You could be a champion, representing your region in a championship (for example jousting or other martial art tournaments).

All of these are valid playstyles, and all of them can be PvP.

In the broader sense of the word, PvP doesn't even need to be combat related. You can try to become the best baker, or the best cartographer, or the best navigator. All of these are essentially PvP in the sense that you are competing against other players to become the best at what you do, however most of them are peaceful.

And on top of that, you can cooperate with others too, to become the best group to achieve some goal. Which is probably going to be much more efficient than going at it alone.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

9/7/2018 11:29:43 PM #6

The only thing I would like to add to all these great answers is that PVP is good, great even and encouraged in this game; however griefing (opinions vary on definition) is not

PVP has received a bad name in many games because of players with malicious intent aimed at simply ruining the fun of other players, use PVP to grief other vulnerable players, as they either hunt down an individual repeatedly, spawn camp, corpse camp or otherwise go after the easy targets.

They tend to get away with this because there is a significant imbalance in power. Solo players have no one to turn to for help and the "griefer" is often significantly more powerful, organised and/or in a larger group.

The game aims at a degree of realism, so if you want to PVP, hell if you want to grief, you need to consider whether your actions would draw any kind of RL consequences, justice or vengeance in RL, especially in the context of an early/ancient civilization where crimes considered extreme or particularly heinous were often met with swift, sometimes EXCESSIVE, penalties, lynchings and mob mentality.

How do you get away with it? You gotta be smart and not get caught. If all you want to do is go around hacking up weaker players endlessly (like a serial killer, or psychotic killer on a rampage) because you find it fun and don't care about the impact on the other players, then I can guarantee that it will be stopped and probably in a pretty harsh fashion with you becoming the unending target.

One of the reasons for this is because even solo players in this are going to have a "big brother" or group they can gather that can come to their rescue because they can essentially approach their Mayor, Count(ess), Duke/Duchess and King/Queen for assistance and I am pretty confident in saying that any of the nobility is going to have vastly more resources and power than any single (non-Nobility) player and even small group of players in the game.

If you are careful, plan your actions, are sneaky and don't get caught you may even be able to make it a great career out of it and amass significant wealth.

just my 2 cents (with rounding and taxes that is now 50 cents)

9/8/2018 8:54:07 PM #7

Wow, this is exactly the thread and plan to curb griefing I was hoping for! Is actually similar to something I had proposed when we were developing GW2. Question: Will there need to be a witness to the crime or, if someone kills me, can I report them myself? Breaks the continuity a bit obviously, but still.

9/8/2018 10:10:12 PM #8

simple answer is witness, but there are no name plates above peoples heads unless you know them well enough.

So a stranger in game, is really a stranger

If all witnesses are killed before alerting others or the authority, then there is a chance to not get caught; however, evidence may still have been left behind at the scene.

9/8/2018 10:47:55 PM #9

Posted By GodfreyHeathen at 3:54 PM - Sat Sep 08 2018

Wow, this is exactly the thread and plan to curb griefing I was hoping for! Is actually similar to something I had proposed when we were developing GW2. Question: Will there need to be a witness to the crime or, if someone kills me, can I report them myself? Breaks the continuity a bit obviously, but still.

Answer was in the part I quoted. Specifically Attempted murder is a criminal offense, and a witness (which might include the victim) may choose to issue a bounty token upon the transgressor.

If the victim can identify the persona who attacked them they can create a bounty token. I say persona because a well made disguise with the skill to use it or a false identity can increase the chances the person blamed wouldn’t be the person who actually did the crime.

To answer the next logical question yes you can frame innocent people IF you have the skills to do so.