COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Knights

From what I can tell , knights had to be sired from nobility as well as born during the spring . What I am wondering is will this hold true in elyria or will it be based on new rules . I watched the jousting video and was rather impressed , but in history non knights couldn't compete and it left me questioning if this was to be the rule in game . Any thoughts?

9/26/2018 11:12:53 AM #1

I'm pretty sure in coe your a Knight simply if other people agree that you are.

I'm sure different knightly orders that get set up will have different requirements but as far as I know its not anything sbs are going to create mechanics specifically for.

Basically if you say you're a Knight you pretty much are.

9/26/2018 12:01:49 PM #2

N' as in the real world, some cultures, trbes in Elyria, may not even have something like a knight. Probably the only tribe where a Knight will fit will be Neran.

9/26/2018 12:48:54 PM #3

There's no "knight" title in CoE, so consequently no rules or mechanics pertaining specifically to knights. However, laws are created by players so there could be rules limiting the joust to players of noble birth, if a kingdom so desires it.

9/26/2018 1:35:44 PM #4

Although it will be interesting if a Monarch or perhaps even Duke\Duchess could enact the contract system to bestow the title of Knight\Defender of the Realm in return for servitude or at least the promise not to do unknightly things.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

9/26/2018 2:00:24 PM #5

Knights did not have to be born in spring...

Also, I believe knighthood will be mechanically supported (unless they changed it). Check out the list of features here.

9/26/2018 2:24:12 PM #6

Posted By Gregory Carter at

From what I can tell, knights had to be sired from nobility as well as born during the spring.

Both of these assertions are factually incorrect. Knights most often came from the landed classes (gentry, aristocracy, nobility) and were a form of aristocrat but there were plenty of cases of commoners rising to the rank of knight (especially during long periods of warfare (especially civil warfare)).

As for the born in spring thing, I have no clue where that comes from but it's patently untrue given that knights were a military/civil-administrative rank and restricting your military ruling class to those born in two to three months of the year is a good way to collapse your nation. Not to mention several knights whose birthdays we know (such as Edward of Woodstock) whose birthdays are very much not in spring.

Coming Soon(tm)

9/26/2018 3:40:40 PM #7

Ditto what Chipla said

In terms of COE's actual lore my impression has been that while the system of government is roughly analogous to some form a feudalism we are still early enough in the development of Elyria's cultures and civilizations that the concept of knight hasn't really been developed. There's no special reason why it would only be a thing for the Neran, and no reason why it necessarily has to be a thing for anyone in particular, although I think it will be. Knighthood as an institution grew out of feudalism over time and meant different things in different places at different times.

Bottom line, the players will do what they want. If they want knights then there will be knights.

9/26/2018 4:59:09 PM #8

Knights and knighting will be a thing. It may look different from kingdom to kingdom, or tribe to tribe, but I'm sure that all will have some sort of champion class even if they don't specifically name them as knights.

As for who can knight someone, that will be left up to Duke and King tiers.

9/28/2018 12:19:02 AM #9

Don't limit the jousting! wishes to host tourneys and have it be a source of income for the settlement and award fame to winners :P

Kingdom of Ashland - Duchy of Fioralba - County of Agostinei - Mayor of Absylon

9/28/2018 12:37:09 AM #10

I can't wait to host tournaments that give out very large prizes, maybe even titles. I want someone who is good at tourney to be able to focus just on training, and be able to be well off from such a thing. I imagine there are a ton of people who are looking to host, contribute, and maintain such Arenas and tournaments.

9/28/2018 3:30:02 AM #11

Mine won't be limited to knights and above. Thinking about having loaner equipment and mounts, as well. :)

9/28/2018 11:07:17 AM #12

From an old thread on Knighthood that was lost in the forum yet preserved in the WIKI.

Posted By Caspian at 6:23 PM - Wed May 04 2016

Knight is a title. It can be bestowed by Dukes as well as Kings.

As with many of their duties, Dukes and Kings will also be able to delegate this ability to others. I believe [an old post in Discord mentioned] that the very act of delegation may be able to bestow many different types of titles via an external contract. The laws of the land might simply state that delegation of certain rights is called one type of entitlement and delegations of other rights another type of entitlement.

A Duke/King could delegate any of their military and legal powers to a High Sheriff of the Duchy, Lord Marshals/Generals, County Sheriffs, Lord Lieutenants [historically created to strip military power from Sherrifs], or any Aristocrats and members of the Gentry who have military contracts with the Duke. Those with delegated power might subsequently have some limited ability to delegate some of that power to those below them. Border county Sheriffs/Lieutenants will most likely have at least some limited ability to knight others as field commissions since they will probably be the leading military commander on a field of battle.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878