COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Handling mounts

Is it possible to hook up to 6 or 8 or more horses to a wagon? Also is it possible to be ride your mount while handling the reigns of a different mount? Say your riding with a backup horse like the Mongols.

10/2/2018 6:10:44 PM #1

Hmmm. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many are able to be hooked up to pull something. I know that currently there are a few carriages or boats that have like 2-4 pulling. So it could be possible for more. Not sure about the limit to that. Would definitely be interesting.

As for the second question, I really don't know if that's possible, it'd be an awesome question for a dev. Maybe you'd hook them up to your horse like a guide?

10/3/2018 1:01:06 AM #2

Regarding multiple-horse teams, I've read that it was not a slam-dunk to find horses that agreed with each other for teams. The more horses needed for the team, the harder it was to compose the team. I also imagine that a larger team is much more difficult to control if one or more of the horses panic.

My guess is that the Mongols trained their ponies from an early age to be led in groups by reins. Horses already have the instinct to herd and travel close together, but (obviously) don't have the instinct to accept reins before being trained to them. So for Nostro's question, my totally unqualified opinion is that some horses might be able to do this, if the tribes that own them are like Central Asian horsemen are in RL.

Perhaps one of the horse lords, for example Maulvorn, would know something about these questions.

10/3/2018 3:44:35 PM #3

I would imagine from a game design perspective the unriden trained horse would just follow with a follow command or whistle. As far as horse teams i would expect them to act more like adding a component to an object. I.e. the cart would have horse slots with a max number of slots probably depending on the cart or wagon size. I don't however see what adding 24 horse teams adds to the game. I mean 2 or 4 or maybe even 6 would be manageable but larger teams or a more realistic horse ai isnt a maker or breaker for me.

10/10/2018 3:06:16 AM #4

I hope that's the case and we don't see horses in backpacks like every other game

11/18/2018 8:29:57 AM #5

There are many situations where horses are led from another horse. It happens regularly in the USA. Picture the pony horse in a big race leading the racehorse around the track. Sometimes they use a lead with the horse, sometimes it's just for company to keep the racehorse a little more calm. Many times I've ponied young horses from my riding horse with a halter and lead just for exercise. It's actually a fairly easy and basic thing to do.

11/18/2018 8:37:58 AM #6

Posted By Merek_Rainier at 7:06 PM - Tue Oct 09 2018

I hope that's the case and we don't see horses in backpacks like every other game

Horses in backpacks?

11/18/2018 8:53:37 AM #7

Pretty sure he means pack horses. I do know that with several of the pledges one of the items received is a pack mule to either ride or use to carry your items. I haven't seen anything about horses being used as pack animals but if one is I'd think others could be eventually trained for it.

11/18/2018 2:27:50 PM #8

Posted By Kheia at 09:53 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Pretty sure he means pack horses.

No, based on the context he literally meant 'horses in backpacks'. Like how horses are an inventory item in Mount & Blade as an example.

11/18/2018 2:51:19 PM #9

From a historical and game design perspective, I see no problems. Even and odd numbers of teams are common in real life, and from the game mechanics perspective - it can be just as easy to control a group of NPCs as a single NPC.

The only prerequisite is that you have the correct tack. Each animal needs a harness. Then they can be hooked up to a modular whippletree which allows for a variety of team configurations.

Whippletree

The whippletree is then chained or roped to the cart/boat/log/etc.

It is an entirely doable system - but SBS would probably have to develop it in-house. I doubt if they can find an OTS solution.

Healdwald

11/20/2018 4:19:18 AM #10

Posted By ShadowTani at 09:27 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Posted By Kheia at 09:53 AM - Sun Nov 18 2018

Pretty sure he means pack horses.

No, based on the context he literally meant 'horses in backpacks'. Like how horses are an inventory item in Mount & Blade as an example.

Exactly. Or every other MMO where your mount is invisible until you hit a Key or double click it. Life is feudal almost did it right. Dismount and the horse is able to be killed/stolen, but then you could just put it in your backpack if you weren't carrying too much weight

11/20/2018 7:58:15 PM #11

I read something from 6 horses but there was nothing of a maximum.

Personally, I would say 6 but enough.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR