COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How important is location to you?

Have you picked a town yet or are you waiting to see what town hits that sweet spot for you?

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

10/6/2018 4:16:47 PM #1

I'll pick a location I like based on tribes and surrounding biomes (although roleplay hubs might draw me closer), then see if the townies and government are standable or not after I move in.

10/6/2018 4:58:56 PM #2

As an aspiring alchemist, location will be important for obvious ingredient related reasons. But ultimately I was looking for a community to help me find a reason to stick with the game. I feel like you can just focus on a different batch of ingredients and export the rest so community has to trump location overall.

10/6/2018 5:03:34 PM #3

No one has picked a town. Map selection hasn’t even happened.

I have picked a kingdom, duchy, and (probably) county based on the nobility and their goals. My county choice may shift depending on available settlements, but the other two won’t.

Tribe selection matters, but there is only one kingdom that doesn’t have one of my top two tribes, and it has both my third and fourth pick tribes.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/6/2018 7:22:40 PM #4

It’s quite important to me. Kingdoms will change, the location that you chose to live in will likely be more stable than whoever rules it,

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/7/2018 1:23:55 AM #5

my only real requirement is a town in the tropical wetlands. I've never played a game in a area like that and i really like to'resk culture.

10/7/2018 2:34:03 AM #6

Vital. The location matters more than anything else.

10/7/2018 2:41:58 AM #7

yea location is important not just for aesthetics but resources and how defensible a location is will have to be taken into account for those that are running settlements ect. Then you have to make sure there are enough resources to support the size community you're bringing with you or expecting to support. So while for me yes I hope i get at least of of my top two tribes or biomes in whatever location i decide on there's a lot to consider

10/7/2018 6:56:41 AM #8

I already picked a town to join, anticipating it will have a high chance of hitting that sweet spot for me. By joining now I figured I could increase that chance by throwing in the weight of my pledge in support of that of the town ruler. Moreover, it allows me to get acquainted with other puppeteers who connected their first characters fate to that town, county and duchy. I do realize that there is no guarantee and the geography of your home land you will have to deal with will be just as non-ideal as any other aspect of CoE. You may navigate into waters that appear to be best suited for your vessel, but waters will never be flat.

10/7/2018 9:44:01 AM #9

Location is rather important for my (initial, read first spark) choice, because I want to start in a town that can possibly white-list entrance during low activity times. My humble guesstimate is that we're going to see a lot of 'locust' PvP enthusiasts in the first few month that tend to go from game to game and hence a lot of 'meta-gaming'-'bandit raiding' on smaller towns in the beginning (read, a small group of players raiding towns during times where the majority of population is NPC or OPC). And unless you white-list access, town walls can't stop them. With that thought in mind and the current information, my best guess for a decent starting town to my play-style is Hrothi. As such, I have a specific mayor in mind and am spending time in that discord, but I explicitly stated that I could still jump ship in case the town would end in a different territory.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

10/7/2018 9:50:12 AM #10

Posted By DanielBlack at 7:34 PM - Sat Oct 06 2018

I have to disagree with that, it's a huge world! I don't think there's any perfect location, and I don't think any character will come out to be perfectly as we picture. That's the excitement of it :) The unknown, not set-in-stone and unpredictable. Don't be disappointed with where you land, there's always more to find

10/7/2018 12:10:42 PM #11

I too feel that the location is paramount. it is not a case of the location being "perfect", its minimum requirements!!

10/7/2018 12:28:04 PM #12

Posted By HajimeSaito at 05:10 AM - Sun Oct 07 2018

I too feel that the location is paramount. it is not a case of the location being "perfect", its minimum requirements!!

That's true, location for necessity and I'm sure anyone looking for crafting/settlement/community aspects feel the same. I'm too much of an explorer at heart so it's difficult to relate

10/7/2018 2:46:09 PM #13

Personally, I would give it an 8 out of 10. For me. it's more of a case of where I don't want to be than where I want to be. Not in the desert,swamp,savanah or artic or in an area that has the potential for lots of fighting.

Of course I have preferences. Like a wooded area near or with a large body of water in it. But otherwise it's more about where I don't want to ne.

10/9/2018 9:15:49 PM #14

Posted By DanielBlack at 7:34 PM - Sat Oct 06 2018

Agreed. I haven't paid any attention to Kingdoms or their leaders. I'm focusing on finding the perfect place where I want my legacy rooted, to stand the test of time.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

10/9/2018 9:34:37 PM #15

So, I would say that where is extremely important. However, this game is weighted heavily towards community, so if you think you’re going to forge a legacy without getting to know the folks in charge, you may be setting yourself up for failure. You will not be in a bubble, so if you choose “the perfect spot” for your dreams, and don’t take into account the mechanics of the game, and the desires of the folks in charge of “your spot”, you may be in a world of hurt.

Join the County of Vetivier, and the town of Perisai Besi, in the Duchy of Rhyddid, Kingdom of Alésia.~~Chaos cannot Prevail! Home of The Thorn Institute for War! Help build a legacy worthy of legends!! Discord
Friend Code: AA2858