COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Disguising as a dead man

Let us say you put together the most complete disguise of a little known radish farmer three counties over, and that radish farmer dies. Is the disguise still usable? If so this leads to so many more questions.

Can you show up at his estate if he had no family or heirs and claim it?

Can you pass on this disguise to your own heir and create a fictitious character of a never dying master thief using the same disguise over generations?

Would the people at the yearly radish convention know that you didn't really grow that prize winning radish??

10/7/2018 1:09:36 AM #1

Family can see through disguises 100%. Anyone familiar with the person has a better chance. If the person is confirmed dead, I doubt you can claim what was inherited to his or her kids. NPCs would most likely see you as the risen dead lol. I need to fact check this but I believe once you are KO'd the disguise is broken and people can tell who you really are.

If you are 3 counties over you can pretend to be that person but once news travels(if it ever does) to your county you would be in trouble.

I'm planning on doing the same but being a detective. Once you create a disguise kit you can give it an alias. If you have different size heirs. I'm sure you could just recreate the kit and rename it the same thing. We are suppose to have a system in CoE where you can pass down items to heirs and have it become a family heirloom. Outside of that, we need to wait on more details.

It depends how you got the radish, did you pay for it and get it legally? If so, not really, as long as the farmer doesn't snitch. Or did you steal it? If you stole it and the farmer submitted a bounty for the radish then could be reclaimed. If you left enough clues where you stole the radish it is possible for you to be ID'd as the theft if you are caught before the convention.

10/7/2018 1:39:32 AM #2

It just seems like disguises, impersonation, and mimicry are a huge waste of time. Someone somewhere at some time will find you out as your disguise has so many holes and you simply cannot plug them all without someone seeing through it.

Unless you pass through somewhere and you try to interact with the least amount of people as possible. Again as soon as you do it will begin to unravel leading to spirit loss equal to your persona and your real char.

Perhaps if you impersonated yourself or a close friend and taught yourself everything you know about your character and all the skills on top of it you could fool people for a while but you would then be doing damage to yourself which seems counter productive. And still someone somewhere at some time would see through it.

Seems like a waste of programming if any random npc can just unmask you.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

10/7/2018 2:05:46 AM #3

The intent behind the first question was if you knew he had no family to claim you weren't him. I feel someone that lives on the outskirts of town, especially an npc with no fame, could have a disguise made of them and then promptly have them "taken care of" leaving you, essentially, the owner of their identity.

Cool to think you thought of a similar mechanic. I don't plan to do this myself, but had a moment of inspiration from a certain Gray Fox that made me wonder if it was possible to pass on the mantle.

Also @WarlanderLichbane, obviously disguises are not for everyone, but I am sad to see you don't see the gameplay possibilities that arise from being able to perform acts under the guise of someone else. The fact that your character and your identity are two different mechanics is something I have never seen before and, whether I use it or not, I find it extremely intriguing.

Post later edited for terrible grammar

10/7/2018 2:23:58 AM #4

Of course they’ll not make it worthless. There will need to be a balance to being useful but not OP.

I’m curious about this too. Impersonating a dead person, pretending he never died, could be useful.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/7/2018 4:57:11 AM #5

Keep in mind, that disguises don't necessarily have to be of people who actually exist. You might want to simply pass off as a person from a different tribe in order to stroll through an enemy country without stirring suspicion, for example. No stolen identity needed.

Also, identities and disguises are two different mechanics that affect each other, so you don't need to dress up in order to create a false identity. Just give people the wrong name when they ask for yours. If you give them someone else's name, they won't know the difference if they don't know the guy.

If you really want to go deep, what you do is have a completely fake identity complete with forged legal papers AND a disguise that people associate with it.

10/7/2018 5:41:42 AM #6

If there isn't any family to speak of and no one that really talks to that person I suppose it would work for some time. If he lives in town you would have to renew your contract to live there and make payments. Sooner or later you would get caught and every action you take under his identity would be a crime. It would add up.

It would be cool to see someone do that and commit tons of crimes as a dead guy and just ditch the disguise. I wonder how the forensic skill could even keep up with that, without him making mistakes or being constantly on his trail.

10/7/2018 8:40:25 AM #7

Family are able to speak across distances (whisper) and know when a person has been incapacitated. It would be difficult to pull this sort of thing off due to players leaving the immersion and communicating outside of the game, as well.

A very skilled deviant could still have plenty of fun, specifically with those outside of their regular circle. This dimes back on the use of framing, blackmail, and subterfuge.

These mechanics exist for a reason. Being creative with them as a player, and skilled as a character, will open up more opportunity. Pretend to be an NPC, anyone? Start a fight/war in the name of some county, while wearing a noble's face in another kingdom? Elude the law? (Even for simple things, such as quickly stealing or a B&E while in disguise) I wonder if you could even sign contracts for bearing children while wearing a false identity.. :)

10/10/2018 2:23:57 PM #8

I think all these are mechanically "possible" within the game...but you will need to be aware of the consequences if you try them...most "civilized" areas are not going to take to your subterfuge and penalize you in some way when/if you are revealed to not actually be who you are pretending to be...it's a risk/reward calculation.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!